IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Subwoofer Hidden Amp Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 04:19 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
No offense but I think drilling a $45,000 car chassis is mickey mouse. huge no-no. I don't **** with factory sheet metal if I can avoid it. Drilling the body is something not so easily reversed and you can introduce water and moisture into the trunk and that's especially not good for the amp. And here I can avoid it.

Large strips of Velcro used correctly on a small amp that has no where to go to begin with is perfectly fine... and reversible. I used velcro in the same manner on my Prius and CT200h and had to use pretty much super-human strength to pull the amp away. And best of all, the car's body remained perfectly in tact and fully stock in function and appearance. If you can achieve the same function but using non-destructive means, why use destructive means when you don't have to? A lot of people go bro-strength or think in bro-terms when it comes to to install things. MUST USE MAN DRILL.

You can be smart about things and be dynamic and purposeful in your thinking =) My 2 cents =)
A drilled hole will not rust if it is sealed/treated properly after. That area is shield with a exhaust shield so no water can even come up from there and will dry up before it can even "sit"
Better not customize cars if that is mentality you have and just drive a stock car. Customizing=Modification=No stock.

I am more than smart about things and have been working on cars for 15+ years and a certified professional Mobile Electronics doing it for 10+ years.
Take a look at my build thread if you wish, If I drilling holes was a a big no-no, i wouldn't have been able to do half the things that were done. You cannot velcro everything (BTW i do use velrco to mount stuff, just not amplifiers)

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
+1 on Velcro. If it is good enough for NASA in space and good enough for the United States Military I am happy with it holding my amplifier in place.
You are forgetting in space gravity field is different and everything is "lighter"
The following users liked this post:
sNotM3 (01-20-23)
Old 11-04-16, 05:22 PM
specONE
Racer

Also you guys are telling me the sticky adhesive side of velcro is gonna be able to stick very well to this black sound dampening material (circled in Green) in that area? With its none flat coarse surface and dont forget this area itself is not completely flat by design with its valleys created in the sheet metal. Was this sound dampening material surfaces clean of dust and contaminants so the adhesive can stick well to it? highly doubt it.

Try to pull the amplifier off after mounting with velcro. I bet the chances of the adhesive sticky portion will give up before the velcro hooks lets go is very high.

sNotM3 (01-20-23)
Old 04-12-20, 03:14 AM
Is84f
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Here's some pics of my installation. Pretty much same location as OP.

That looks absolutely mint @specONE !!!
Its convinced me to do the same. I really love how stealth it came up

Only problem for me is i have the previous shape which has a storage box there which takes up the depth of that cavity

Looking at the 2014+ shape, that cover looks to be the same shape (bar a change in clip locations on the cover which im sure i could workaround).

wondering if I bought a cover from a 2014, if it would sit fairly right in a 2010 in terms of dimensions

would anyone be able to do some measurements on that 2014 cover so I could compare to my plastic one from the previous shape?

thanks

Edit - so sorry just saw 2016. I swear im going blind i thought it was a newer thread. Apologies
Old 04-12-20, 08:47 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by Is84f
That looks absolutely mint @specONE !!!
Its convinced me to do the same. I really love how stealth it came up

Only problem for me is i have the previous shape which has a storage box there which takes up the depth of that cavity

Looking at the 2014+ shape, that cover looks to be the same shape (bar a change in clip locations on the cover which im sure i could workaround).

wondering if I bought a cover from a 2014, if it would sit fairly right in a 2010 in terms of dimensions

would anyone be able to do some measurements on that 2014 cover so I could compare to my plastic one from the previous shape?

thanks

Edit - so sorry just saw 2016. I swear im going blind i thought it was a newer thread. Apologies
The shape of that cavity panel is different from a 2IS vs a 3IS. I've worked on a lot of second generation IS as well and I'm sure of this
The following 2 users liked this post by specONE:
Is84f (04-12-20), sNotM3 (01-20-23)
Old 04-12-20, 09:11 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the location and it's out of view, but concerned about the amount of heat that would build up and have nowhere to dissipate.
Old 04-12-20, 05:08 PM
Is84f
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
The shape of that cavity panel is different from a 2IS vs a 3IS. I've worked on a lot of second generation IS as well and I'm sure of this
Any chance you would still be able to do some measurements (on 3IS panel) for me?

Whilst it wont be the correct fit, I would still be interested to see how far off it is i.e. even just to use one as a basis to modify and then re-carpet (i have a few ideas stirring, but needed this info to make a decision).

Just needed some measurements for it, say like the attached if someone could please help

Old 09-30-20, 12:58 PM
Rav5280
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to find the factory amp in my 2015 is250, non ML and no nav. is it in the trunk between the spare tire cover and the rear seat? if not if you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!!
Old 09-30-20, 01:49 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Rav5280
hey I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to find the factory amp in my 2015 is250, non ML and no nav. is it in the trunk between the spare tire cover and the rear seat? if not if you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!!
Opposite side of the trunk from where the above aftermarket amps were being installed.
So, on the right side, behind the right rear wheel.
Old 09-30-20, 03:33 PM
Rav5280
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Opposite side of the trunk from where the above aftermarket amps were being installed.
So, on the right side, behind the right rear wheel.
ok awesome, now could you possibly tell me how to remove the cargo net anchor point and that cover. Attached pic for clarification

sNotM3 (01-20-23)
Old 09-30-20, 10:23 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

There’s a plastic flap covering a screw in the center of the tie down.
Pry the flap up to get access to the screw.
sNotM3 (01-20-23)