IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Damaged rocker panel from car lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 07:44 AM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged rocker panel from car lift

My car's rocker panel was damaged while on the lift in a shop. Shop is reimbursing me $700, and looking on others opinions.

1. Keep money and don't repair the small damage.
2. Have dent filled and blend paint with rest of rocker panel.
3. Replace entire rocker panel.
4. Buy some side skirt splitters/trim pieces to cover up?

I looked at some skirt splitters but it looks like their attachment point is underneath so it wouldn't cover up the mark which is just right on the edge.
Old 09-20-16, 08:57 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Unless it is really noticeable, I'd take the money and do nothing

Replacing the rocker is really drastic, and would really devalue the car.

Maybe try some professional dent repair places to see see if they can get it out
Old 09-20-16, 09:03 AM
plastus
Rookie

That's what I'm leaning towards, since it is so low down on the side trim. The piece is all plastic (afaik) so it can be swapped out but it runs the whole length of the car so I am wary of getting it filled in/repainted due to the potential and almost guarantee of color mismatch given the ultra white color w/ glass particles. I'm also having a Lexus dealer install RSR Down springs so it should be even less noticeable.

Originally Posted by brendanf

Maybe try some professional dent repair places to see see if they can get it out
Old 09-20-16, 09:08 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by plastus
That's what I'm leaning towards, since it is so low down on the side trim. The piece is all plastic (afaik) so it can be swapped out but it runs the whole length of the car so I am wary of getting it filled in/repainted due to the potential and almost guarantee of color mismatch given the ultra white color w/ glass particles. I'm also having a Lexus dealer install RSR Down springs so it should be even less noticeable.
Well if your getting springs, consider them paid for by the guys that damaged your car then. That's the way I'd look at it. And if it starts the gnaw at you, just keep your eyes open for a damaged UW at the scrap yards in your area and replace it that way. At least then the paint will match!
Old 09-20-16, 10:00 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My car's rocker panel was damaged while on the lift in a shop.
I had exactly the same thing happen to mine (although closer to the front lift point) when it was just a few months old. I'm friends with the shop owner so I didn't ask for any compensation. After studying up on the plastic material used I took a heat gun to it -- VERY carefully and at low temperature -- and after about 10 minutes the indentation had almost disappeared (see image). I left it overnight and now you have to look really closely to see any damage. I'd completely forgotten about it until I read your post.
Attached Thumbnails Damaged rocker panel from car lift-is350-rocker-panel-dent-day-1.jpg  
Old 09-20-16, 10:58 AM
plastus
Rookie

Did you do anything else besides apply low heat to the area? Not sure if it'll help in my case because although it's a very small indentation, there's a noticeable crease in the plastic. The part of the lift arm that telescopes out basically dug into the area as the car was sitting.

I know it's nothing major, but it's so frustrating because it seems like every place is pretty careless when lifting cars up. With my previous car, a shop jammed the lift arms underneath the sideskirts to make them clear the car instead of taking the extra minute or two to jack the car up and then setting it on the lift arms with proper blocks.

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
I had exactly the same thing happen to mine (although closer to the front lift point) when it was just a few months old. I'm friends with the shop owner so I didn't ask for any compensation. After studying up on the plastic material used I took a heat gun to it -- VERY carefully and at low temperature -- and after about 10 minutes the indentation had almost disappeared (see image). I left it overnight and now you have to look really closely to see any damage. I'd completely forgotten about it until I read your post.
Old 09-20-16, 11:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Keep the money. That's barely considered damage. I had a tow truck driver (wrongfully towed btw) attempt to tow my BMW away and he managed to actually pop off the side skirt and break the clips of the skirt. Now that was actual damage. You can live with that above.
Old 09-20-16, 11:18 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you do anything else besides apply low heat to the area? Not sure if it'll help in my case because although it's a very small indentation, there's a noticeable crease in the plastic. The part of the lift arm that telescopes out basically dug into the area as the car was sitting.
Low heat and time seemed to work for me. The damage was created in exactly the same situation with mine; if you look at the image you can even see the "P" that was cut into the head of the lift arm pivot; subsequently the mark was embossed into the plastic panel! The rest of the crease came out and the remaining embossing is so far down on the panel you can't see it from the side of the car.
Old 09-20-16, 01:59 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf

changing the skirt isn't a drastic undertaking, and shouldn't affect the value that much.

if you're replacing why not upgrade! you can look into getting TRD skirts. it replaces that piece.
Old 09-20-16, 04:13 PM
plastus
Rookie

Do you know of a store in the USA that sells them and whether it's possible to buy them painted in factory colors?

Originally Posted by dnasians
changing the skirt isn't a drastic undertaking, and shouldn't affect the value that much.

if you're replacing why not upgrade! you can look into getting TRD skirts. it replaces that piece.

Last edited by plastus; 09-20-16 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 07:44 PM
DSPEED
Driver School Candidate

Keep the money and try massaging it out by yourself. It seems really low to be really noticeable.
Old 09-20-16, 08:53 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381543153599

seibon makes CF OE replacements