IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HELP! Going on a road trip: How to prevent Rock Chips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 09:36 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, painter tape your car - trust me. I drive from NorCal to SoCal and back all the time, especially if you take the 5 then make sure to protect your car.

They have been doing construction on the 5 for the last two years, and there will be gravel all over the place near the Central Valley, I think King and Kern counties. Also if you're going through grapevines or highway 152, you're between two mountains, so there's bound to be small rocks around from above.

Stay away from duck brand, it was so bad that the tape came off and flying in front of me while I was driving. I did one layer but two is always good. Walmart have deals on scotch blue brand. Plastidip Also worked as I've tried it, just make sure you don't overspray and cover the car's excess. People who complain about plastidip don't know how to use it. You must wipe the working space with 90% Alcohol. First coat is ALWAYS LIGHT. This is where people do it wrong because they usually go so heavy. The coat gets heavier as you start spraying. It's just that our car has a lot of curves and edges at the front so the prepping time where you have to carefully wrap the places you don't want to spray carefully.

I got my side mirrors wrapped carbon fiber so the protect from the vinyl is helped for the mirrors. I can't afford a $500 clear bra and I find it ridiculously that it's so pricey (but I mean, everyone has to eat) so painters tape or plastidip is my go to.
Old 07-14-16, 11:54 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Phamkq
No, painter tape your car - trust me. I drive from NorCal to SoCal and back all the time, especially if you take the 5 then make sure to protect your car.

They have been doing construction on the 5 for the last two years, and there will be gravel all over the place near the Central Valley, I think King and Kern counties. Also if you're going through grapevines or highway 152, you're between two mountains, so there's bound to be small rocks around from above.

Stay away from duck brand, it was so bad that the tape came off and flying in front of me while I was driving. I did one layer but two is always good. Walmart have deals on scotch blue brand. Plastidip Also worked as I've tried it, just make sure you don't overspray and cover the car's excess. People who complain about plastidip don't know how to use it. You must wipe the working space with 90% Alcohol. First coat is ALWAYS LIGHT. This is where people do it wrong because they usually go so heavy. The coat gets heavier as you start spraying. It's just that our car has a lot of curves and edges at the front so the prepping time where you have to carefully wrap the places you don't want to spray carefully.

I got my side mirrors wrapped carbon fiber so the protect from the vinyl is helped for the mirrors. I can't afford a $500 clear bra and I find it ridiculously that it's so pricey (but I mean, everyone has to eat) so painters tape or plastidip is my go to.

I just bought some 3M Blue painters tape from Walmart last night. I got the two rolls of 2inch/60 yards for $6 each. You think that enough for the trip? I plan to take it off once I get to LA, and re tape it once I'm coming back.

And I do agree, clear bras I got quoted for upwards of $800. And I waited too late since I've already got a few tiny chips. Plus, I'm broke af.
Old 07-14-16, 01:43 PM
20LS01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

norcal to socal vice versa is not the drive that will give you rock chips. Just dont tail gate anyone and you'll be okay.
Old 07-14-16, 06:52 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 20LS01
norcal to socal vice versa is not the drive that will give you rock chips. Just dont tail gate anyone and you'll be okay.
Hmm.. I'm getting some mixed comments here. But, I will just tape just to be safe.

And I don't tailgate. However, there are still chances that a truck next to me can kick up some rocks in my direction. I always try to pass any truck or semis, and never stay next to or behind them. Yet, I still get rock chips. =\
Old 01-24-17, 03:25 PM
Bee123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I just bought and picked up my 2015 NX200T. I see there is 3M on the hood, but was wondering if there is 3M on the front grill/bumper.
I thought it was something that automactically
comes with the car. Thanks
Old 01-24-17, 05:14 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

had a clear bra on my vette and loved it. this stuff is available although i've never tried it...http://www.autozone.com/landing/page...der-spray-film