IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HELP! Going on a road trip: How to prevent Rock Chips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 11:57 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default HELP! Going on a road trip: How to prevent Rock Chips?

Hey guys.

I'm taking my car from NorCal to SoCal on Sunday. I don't have a clear bra, nor time to get one installed in time.

I was searching through the forums and found many people used BLUE painters tape to protect the front from getting more rock chips.

Is there any other quick alternative to protect the car?

I don't mind the painters tape solution. Any recommended brand of tape I can buy that won't ruin the paint.. from like WalMart or something?
Old 07-13-16, 12:07 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Painter's tape is definitely the most common solution and the one I would recommend. The other solution that I'm aware of is Plasti-Dip. I'm not a fan of this as Plasti-Dip on large areas tends to come out uneven, textured, and difficult to remove.
Old 07-13-16, 12:15 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
Painter's tape is definitely the most common solution and the one I would recommend. The other solution that I'm aware of is Plasti-Dip. I'm not a fan of this as Plasti-Dip on large areas tends to come out uneven, textured, and difficult to remove.
Yeah, another member posted a thread of his car with Plasti Dip. Looks good tho, however I don't have the time/experience on doing so. =\

Have you used the painters tape solution? Any brand of tape to recommend?

I see a lot of people saying 3M Scotch Blue is the way to go.
Old 07-13-16, 12:21 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't unfortunately. I think any brand should work roughly similarly so you'll be fine regardless of brand.
Old 07-13-16, 12:26 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

does anyone make a full size front end bra for our cars? Looked on ebay but i didn't find any for our years.
I would assume that it is much simpler to put on and take off prior to and after a road trip. It's ugly...but better than paint chips.
Old 07-13-16, 12:34 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 600rr
does anyone make a full size front end bra for our cars? Looked on ebay but i didn't find any for our years.
I would assume that it is much simpler to put on and take off prior to and after a road trip. It's ugly...but better than paint chips.
I'm searching for the old school leather bras. But I cannot find any for the 2014+ IS350 Fsport. I would want to get this so I can take it on and off.

If anything I guess I will be going with painter's tape since I'm short of time and leaving in 4 days.
Old 07-13-16, 01:02 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Renting a car is the easiest option
Old 07-13-16, 01:06 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SummerRain
Renting a car is the easiest option
Yeah.. I don't have the funds to do that. Painter's tape seems to be the cheapest solution for this trip. Less than $10 of tape Im assuming.

Planning to make the drive down to Socal, then take the tape off when I get there. Reapply it when I head back up to NorCal.
Old 07-13-16, 02:06 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nathantse
Yeah.. I don't have the funds to do that. Painter's tape seems to be the cheapest solution for this trip. Less than $10 of tape Im assuming.

Planning to make the drive down to Socal, then take the tape off when I get there. Reapply it when I head back up to NorCal.
I take the same trip once a year. The millions of dead bugs that is caked on the front end is just as bad. Last time i came back with 5 rock chips and an hour to scrape the bugs off.
Old 07-13-16, 02:10 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I take the same trip once a year. The millions of dead bugs that is caked on the front end is just as bad. Last time i came back with 5 rock chips and an hour to scrape the bugs off.

You got experience using the Blue tape? This is my first time doing it, because I am taking the new Lexus down to Socal.

I'm just wondering, how many layers of tape is necessary to prevent chips. And how long/how much did it take you do tape it up?
Old 07-13-16, 02:17 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Nope never used them before.
I just stay away from big rigs and large vehicles to reduce the amount of rocks they kick up. Otherwise, i just enjoy the car and not worry too much about it.
Old 07-14-16, 12:21 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I say don't worry about it. I bought my car from LA and drove it back to Phoenix. On the way home I even drove through a dust storm. I didn't get no rock chips. I slapped on a clear bra few weeks later and inspected the bumper for any chips prior to install. I didn't see any rock chips that were concerning.
Old 07-14-16, 06:05 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I almost took the car on a road trip last month and bought 3M painters tape. I used it on the other car instead since it was also a new car; no rock chips. It was easy to apply and remove. I had it on for about 3 days.
Old 07-14-16, 08:52 AM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope never used them before.
I just stay away from big rigs and large vehicles to reduce the amount of rocks they kick up. Otherwise, i just enjoy the car and not worry too much about it.
I agree. When I first bought my car I wanted to get a clear bra for her but I waited too long and it already had some rock chips so the installer told me I would need to get a new paint job cause the clear bra would just highlight the rock chips due to the small "indents." From then on I just decided once it gets bad enough I'll go get a new paint job and for now just enjoy the car and stay away from all those large vehicles and don't tailgate any vehicles.
Old 07-14-16, 09:31 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used the painters tape before ... Had a show car that I needed to get to a car show and my only option at the time was to take the 2 hour road trip. Got the car all cleaned up and then tapped up the whole front end. All the bugs and road grime came off with the tape. No chips either. It looks like **** for time that it's on but it does save the area.

Quick Reply: HELP! Going on a road trip: How to prevent Rock Chips?