IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F-Sport LED Lights Suck

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 06:44 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Interesting thread. I'm very experienced in lighting. Previous CT200H, I had RX350 full professional Lexus BI-Xenon full german OSRAM CBI bulbs (the best in the business--no r1cer junk) Pro German all the way. Denso Ballasts too. I wanted LEDs really bad so I made sure I got them in the 3IS. I love the output and intensity.... though they don't have as far of a throw as the RX350s. The RX350s were EXTREMELY wide and sharp. Two laser beams pointing out lighting up BOTH walls on opposing sidewalks across 6 lanes and a center divider. Tuned with custom clear lenses too. Demonic lighting. Overall though I prefer LEDs because I love the instant on no BS lighting they provide.

MY RX350s w/lenses, Potted Densos, CBIs for sale locally in Irvine too. I'll let all that go for $300 if anyone wants them for their second car, etc. I'll throw in a dual relay harness. All that stuff is $500 easily new. All are only used 6 months.

I also have a set of OE Corolla LED modules with ballasts... I want to incorporate them as fog lights in the 3IS. Still trying to come up with a plan. That dream may die though. I would need custom brackets and exterior housings. The fog light options for our F Sport bumpers SUCK. And that aftermarket junk is WAY too tiny. Screw that. Looks horrible.
Old 08-17-16, 09:56 AM
SceneAmati
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that the IS350 F-Sport LED headlights are awesome. My entire windshield is tinted 50% and drive a lot on back roads with no street lights. I can see fine. Also, my car is lowered and I haven't even bothered adjusting the headlights to aim a little higher. Before I lowered my car, I noticed that some cars would flash their lights at me. Not sure if they thought my brights were on or what, but I am happy with how my light output is.

Old 08-22-16, 09:26 AM
SteadyRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IIHS Study Determines HID Headlights are better than LED

According to this IIHS study, the HID headlights are better than the LED ones.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-sedan/2016 (Click on the Headlights link on the left side of the page)
Old 12-09-19, 06:27 AM
NIAautoDesign
Former Sponsor

Received 213 Likes on 123 Posts

would anyone be interested in trading 2016 tail lights for 2017-19 tail lights? I would like to switch to the 2017+ tails
Old 12-10-19, 04:55 AM
robawrench
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dLEVO
I understand where you are coming from..

My current DD is a Ford Fiesta ST and I have retrofitted d2s projectors and retrofitted LED fog lights. I seriously light up what's in front of me, my LED fog lights spank the IS LED's by a lot.

Even my old EVO IX with halogen projectors with a cheap aftermarket HID kit outputs better light than the IS.

I should of test drove this car at night, but I seriously never imagined the IS would have this kind of light output at this price point.
Both of those setups you listed are not factory way above what's legal on a for light output and cut-off. Lexus and any car sold in the US has to design their headlights to meet US DOT legal requirements. Your retrofits don't comply to these laws and put out a lot more light. I don't think you'll find any OEM lighting solution that matches what you want. So your next best step is to scrap the OEM ones and do something else.