IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F-Sport LED Lights Suck

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 02:37 PM
dLEVO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 F-Sport LED Lights Suck

I just bought a CPO '14 IS350 F-sport and I like the car. However, the LED lights seriously suck. I adjusted my lights yesterday and I still can't see much. The throw of the lights is far, but the intensity leaves a lot to be desired. Especially the lighting on the sides is especially bad.

Are there any ways to increase the intensity of the lights. Can I buy a set of aftermarket HID's and put them on there, I was looking at the headlights last night and it doesn't look easy or possible.

If I really have to I will "downgrade" to the base IS250/IS350 lights, but I'm sure that's going to come with a huge price tag to source all the parts I need.

If anyone has any cheaper suggestions, i would love some help here. BTW, I already did a search
Old 06-09-16, 05:46 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

if you adjust it too far, the intensity will be reduced or vice versa
Old 06-09-16, 11:11 PM
dLEVO
Driver School Candidate

What do you mean adjust it too far? Like if I were to adjust too high, I would lose more light intensity?
Old 06-10-16, 06:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

not sure why it needed adjustment. Did you adjust it to shoot more forward? If so thats why the light seems weaker. Shining a flashlight into the distance is going to have less intensity than shining it on the ground
Old 06-10-16, 09:12 AM
dLEVO
Driver School Candidate

I adjusted it because I couldn't see very well beyond 20-30ft in front of the car. I drive on dark windy roads quite a bit and I need to be able to see as far down the road as possible. I drive too fast for what these LED lights can allow me to see.

The side coverage is especially terrible in my opinion. If there were a deer on the side of the road I would barely see it and I think most of us know that is asking for trouble.

I guess I should rephrase my original subject line. The lights don't "suck", for normal driving yes they are fine. But once you hit a back road that is dark, it's really not confidence inspiring to not be able to see as far as you would like to see down the road.

Anyone have any suggestions on improving light output on these LED headlights or an inexpensive way to convert to HID?

I did a search on the forums and most of the threads are regarding fog lights or interior/exterior LED bulbs.
Old 06-10-16, 09:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sorry they're not working out for you. When I had my IS I really like the LED lights. I liked them more than the HIDs in my RX or GS.

The only thing I can think of would be to add the JDM fog lights, but I doubt they will fix this problem for you.
Old 06-10-16, 09:36 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to lower the beam back down because they were put at the right aim from the factory. Don't want to raise them such that it's illegal or not low enough that it sort of shining at the car in front.

I second that, the JDM Fogs can add more viability to the sides.

http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/lexus-...-led-fog-light

I believe Nigel-JDM did use to sell the kit which had the harness and stalk but have to get them separately.

Last edited by Sango; 06-10-16 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 09:45 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I somewhat agree. I won't say that they "suck", but leave alot to be desired. But on my previous car I made a custom HID headlight retrofit using real good components so I had to lower my expectations when I got this or any other car. Even compared to my wife's RX, the IS does leave a lot to be desired
Old 06-10-16, 10:02 AM
dLEVO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evident
I somewhat agree. I won't say that they "suck", but leave alot to be desired. But on my previous car I made a custom HID headlight retrofit using real good components so I had to lower my expectations when I got this or any other car. Even compared to my wife's RX, the IS does leave a lot to be desired
I understand where you are coming from..

My current DD is a Ford Fiesta ST and I have retrofitted d2s projectors and retrofitted LED fog lights. I seriously light up what's in front of me, my LED fog lights spank the IS LED's by a lot.

Even my old EVO IX with halogen projectors with a cheap aftermarket HID kit outputs better light than the IS.

I should of test drove this car at night, but I seriously never imagined the IS would have this kind of light output at this price point.
Old 06-10-16, 10:03 AM
dLEVO
Driver School Candidate

So, nobody has "downgraded" to base IS250/350 headlamps?
Old 06-10-16, 11:24 AM
Sango
Pole Position

I would say, that maybe something moderator Jeff Lange may know because there maybe more than just switching parts and wiring which may not make it cost effective.
Old 06-10-16, 01:15 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I would say, that maybe something moderator Jeff Lange may know because there maybe more than just switching parts and wiring which may not make it cost effective.
At the least, the hid probably uses a different ballast than the led setup, which would make the cost very expensive
Old 06-10-16, 02:20 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Sorry they're not working out for you. When I had my IS I really like the LED lights. I liked them more than the HIDs in my RX or GS.

The only thing I can think of would be to add the JDM fog lights, but I doubt they will fix this problem for you.
I also like the LED lights. I had HIDs in factory projector headlights in my 1GS and they put good light on the road, but the LEDs are better.
Old 06-10-16, 03:56 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evident
At the least, the hid probably uses a different ballast than the led setup, which would make the cost very expensive
Yes, the HID will use different ballasts, but my concern that there maybe other components/modules (computerized) which are tied together which is meant for the LED headlights, which may not work with the HID.
Old 06-10-16, 04:25 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe it's just me but I can see a little better with these LED highlights. I'm coming from a 2015 IS 250 base and when I switched to an F Sport I noticed the difference, HID's to these LED lights. I like them.

But switching these LED headlights to the base HID's could be expensive. I think there was a thread on this a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply: IS350 F-Sport LED Lights Suck