IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 04:18 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Did anyone else have this problem?

So after installing my JoeZ axle back for about 5k miles I noticed there was an issue.
The check engine light was going on but turning off randomly. I finally decided to take the car to the dealer for them to check out. So what the dealer said is that the JoeZ exhaust "direct bolt-on bolts" restricted flexibility and caused leaks in the front cats. He said that the stock exhaust screws had the springs on it to allow flexibility when hitting dips/potholes. With that said, He recommended switching the front two gaskets and using the stock "spring screws."

I was wondering did anyone encounter this problem with the bolts that came with the JoeZ axle back?

Note: I bought the JoeZ off a user here and it came with bolts, which i assumed came with the exhaust when it was purchased new. Not even sure if the bolts he gave me was correct, or if i just made the mistake of not using stock bolts.
Old 02-12-16, 07:43 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I don't get it. An axle back wouldn't need to replace the bolts to the front cats, a cat back would
Old 02-12-16, 08:21 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
I don't get it. An axle back wouldn't need to replace the bolts to the front cats, a cat back would
So did you just reuse the stock bolts when installing the axle back?
Because when i bought the axle back used, it came with some screws which i assumed was needed to instal the axle back exhaust
Old 02-12-16, 09:19 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 250 Posts

just use the stock spring screws. I would trust those more than what was supplied
it will probably fix your issue anyways
Old 02-12-16, 10:05 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

I have a full cat back and also had a full cat back on my 4GS and used the supplied bolts from the manufacturer with no issues. It also could be the gaskets allowing a leak
Old 02-13-16, 03:15 AM
LeeJonah
Driver

So for those who are using just the axle back with the stock mid pipe. Did you guys use the stock "spring screws" or the screws that came with the JoeZ axle back?
Old 02-13-16, 08:25 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeeJonah
So for those who are using just the axle back with the stock mid pipe. Did you guys use the stock "spring screws" or the screws that came with the JoeZ axle back?
I used the supplied regular bolts. I did not have nuts hanging around that were the same thread as the spring bolts. The nuts are tack welded to the oem flange on the factory exhuast.

It's worth noting that the spring bolts were the cause of a loud bang over bumps that the dealer spent 8 hours chasing and could not diagnose.

Maybe a stiffer muffler hanger would help
Old 02-13-16, 11:54 AM
LeeJonah
Driver

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
I used the supplied regular bolts. I did not have nuts hanging around that were the same thread as the spring bolts. The nuts are tack welded to the oem flange on the factory exhuast.

It's worth noting that the spring bolts were the cause of a loud bang over bumps that the dealer spent 8 hours chasing and could not diagnose.

Maybe a stiffer muffler hanger would help
Do you think the problem is not with the Joez axle back at all and that my mechanic just misalign the mid pipe from the cats, which was whats causing leaks?
Old 02-13-16, 02:30 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

I just verified, the axle back to the mid pipe has spring bolts. But the springs bolts are not the OEM ones, they were provided with the aftermarket exhaust
Old 02-13-16, 02:51 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
I just verified, the axle back to the mid pipe has spring bolts. But the springs bolts are not the OEM ones, they were provided with the aftermarket exhaust
Oh really
Can you send me a picture of it by any chance. Going to try and contact JoeZ if they came with the axle back