IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Uneven gap around headlight

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 10:23 PM
nslac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uneven gap around headlight

I picked up my 2015 F Sport about 3 days ago and 1 of my mates noticed the gap around the left hand side headlight is uneven. You can even see the left hand guard lip (photos attached).

Now every time I look at the front of the car, that's the first thing I see .

Anyway so I spoke to the dealership today and forwarded them the same photos. They reckon they checked about couple of F Sports in stock and they all had similar uneven gap around the headlight.

Dealership admitted they never picked up on it previously so they have asked me to come in to see if they can do something with the alignment.

Has anyone in the forum experienced similar issue ?
Attached Thumbnails Uneven gap around headlight-lexus_left-headlight-correctly-aligned.jpg   Uneven gap around headlight-lexus_left-headlight-incorrectly-aligned.jpg  
Old 06-04-15, 12:10 AM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nslac
I picked up my 2015 F Sport about 3 days ago and 1 of my mates noticed the gap around the left hand side headlight is uneven. You can even see the left hand guard lip (photos attached).

Now every time I look at the front of the car, that's the first thing I see .

Anyway so I spoke to the dealership today and forwarded them the same photos. They reckon they checked about couple of F Sports in stock and they all had similar uneven gap around the headlight.

Dealership admitted they never picked up on it previously so they have asked me to come in to see if they can do something with the alignment.

Has anyone in the forum experienced similar issue ?
That looks like crappy quality control, since lexus prides itself in quality, it leads me to think that the car was probably damaged during transport and repaired before they sold it to you.

Either way, i don't notice the gap on mine.

The dealership should take care of it for you.
Old 06-04-15, 08:21 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine doesn't have that.
Old 06-04-15, 09:11 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can understand some misalignment for the trunk lid, the hood and maybe the taillights do happen. I had those slight misalignments for my previous 2IS. Yes, they were quite subtle and a causal looker would not be able to see them.

But for the headlights in case, they are easily identified from the factory from any lighting. So this is most likely something happened to the car during the transport. Or indeed very poor quality control which I hope it is not the case..

Last edited by AndyL; 06-04-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-04-15, 12:15 PM
Booster
Rookie

Originally Posted by TedxGS
That's just how it is. On my 3IS, driver side-skirt, pops out slightly more than passenger side. Sometimes fitment is not 100% and can vary from car to car. On another person's 3IS that I examined, it was opposite, passenger side skirt popped out a little more than driver.
At first I was tripping out, thought somehow the car lift damaged it.
Don't worry about it.
answers like this are always so annoying.

dude spends $40+K on a Lexus F Sport and notices a glaring fitment issue and you say that's just the way it is.. don't worry about it.

Old 06-04-15, 12:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I just went out and checked mine and I have no such gaps. Both sides are consistent.
Old 06-04-15, 06:08 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by Booster
answers like this are always so annoying.

dude spends $40+K on a Lexus F Sport and notices a glaring fitment issue and you say that's just the way it is.. don't worry about it.

I've had a few Euro and Jap cars and this has never happened before.

I need to go to the dealer in about 2 hrs but I am be extremely pissed off if they tell me nothing can be done.

Fully optioned 350 F Sport is priced at $87K AUD ($67 USD) but I managed to get mine for $75k ($57k USD). In either case, I don't think this type of issue should happened with any brand new car no matter what price you paid for it
Old 06-04-15, 06:13 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
I just went out and checked mine and I have no such gaps. Both sides are consistent.
I just hoping this is simply a QC issue.

I will be very pissed off if the dealership has supplied a repaired car to me for $75k ($57k USD)
Old 06-13-15, 06:48 AM
nslac
Rookie

Just thought I would post a follow up.....

Anyway went to the dealership, they tried adjusting the headlight but I don't think it made any difference. The gap was improved by 0.3 - 0.5mm at best.

They showed me other F Sports and non-F Sport models, some had worse gaps then mine.

They told me the problem can definitely be rectified however the front bumper has to be removed for the headlight to be adjusted. They weren't too keen to open up a car that was less then a week old (including myself).

I told them I will sit on it and if it still bothers me, I will book it in to get fixed when the 12 month service is due.

They also told me that any Lexus that gets damaged during shipping (including Ferrari & Maserati) comes to them for repair so they assured me that my car has never come in. They also checked all the bolts on the fenders and headlight to check if it was ever opened and it wasn't.

So I guess this problem simply comes down to Lexus QC.
Old 06-13-15, 07:37 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen this on another's car, and it was simply one of the pop off bolts(plastic) was broken or not clipped correctly. Lexus here fixed it in a matter of a few days