Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

take the wheel apart and wrap it with vinyl
Old 10-30-14, 01:46 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Like I said before...it you rub anything into that portion of your steering wheel you're going to make it worse.

You need to understand what a scratch is. A Scratch is a line where part of the surface has been scraped away, exposing the layer of surface underneath.

How does one remove a scratch without repainting or resurfacing the material? You have to reduce the level of the overall surface to where there is no longer a difference between the height of the bottom of the scratch and the surrounding surface. That is how scratches are buffed out of paint. This is how rough or uneven spots are sanded out of piece of wood.

What is that surface on your steering wheel? It is grey or black plastic that is dyed or painted to have that matte silver surface. Its not a buffable surface, no matte surface is. If you do something like rub WD40 into it or try and buff it away, you're going to either expose the black plastic underneath or otherwise discolor or change the appearance of the part.

It sucks, but sometimes with a car you have to know when to just leave something like that alone.
I agree. If you try to buff that out, you're just going to wind up buffing all the silver paint of that trim piece which will look way worse. You could try to repaint it, but that sounds like something you could easily screw up and make it worse as well. I doubt it's possible to order a new trim piece as a stand alone part and buying a new steering wheel would be big $$.

That said, I completely understand where you're coming from. Check out this attached pics of the bumper plugs that my dealer installed to cover up the license plate holes that should NOT have been there in the first place because I asked them to order a car without front plates. At first it kinda bugged me. But over time, I've gotten used to them and NOBODY would notice them if I didn't point them out first.

Give it some time and you might find as the months pass and the new car novelty wears off, the little scratch won't bother you so much.
Attached Thumbnails Scratches on interior help!!!-bumperplugs-2.jpg  
Old 12-29-14, 05:57 PM
mmmrodge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried to remove the silver piece from the wheel? I scratched mine, tried to buff, burned thru finish now need to paint or replace. It drives me nuts!!
Old 12-29-14, 07:51 PM
nabizzy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my red leather by the door handle always seems dirty...
Old 12-29-14, 10:08 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not recommend applying any sort of chemical or cleaner on the scratch. You will only make it worse and eventually become a total eye sore! If it truly bothers you I would get it repainted. Like you, it would drive me bananas. I would take it in and have it repainted! My 2 cents...
Old 12-30-14, 04:18 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
I agree. If you try to buff that out, you're just going to wind up buffing all the silver paint of that trim piece which will look way worse. You could try to repaint it, but that sounds like something you could easily screw up and make it worse as well. I doubt it's possible to order a new trim piece as a stand alone part and buying a new steering wheel would be big $$.

That said, I completely understand where you're coming from. Check out this attached pics of the bumper plugs that my dealer installed to cover up the license plate holes that should NOT have been there in the first place because I asked them to order a car without front plates. At first it kinda bugged me. But over time, I've gotten used to them and NOBODY would notice them if I didn't point them out first.

Give it some time and you might find as the months pass and the new car novelty wears off, the little scratch won't bother you so much.
Eek! Those would bug me so bad. Thankfully I was able to intercept my dealer plate install. Lol.
But I agree. With time it would bother me less and less. IMO the OP is best off just leaving the scratches there and being more careful. They are not even that noticable.