MRM/Black vs NGP/Red

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 08:10 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MRM/Black vs NGP/Red

Hi guys,
Apologies first....I know there has been many threads talking about colors already, but I'm having the hardest time deciding which one to pick.

I'm about to purchase a new 3IS, and I would like your opinions about the 2 exterior colors.
I might be a bit nitpicky, but here goes:

MRM: I like how the front looks with MRM a lot. The Red, grille with silver outline, and the white daylight LEDs just fit perfectly together. But the rear, the tail light , so it doesn't have the contrast at night time when the rear lights are on, especially the side. Just too much red imo.

NGP: It's relatively easy to maintain, compare to the Obsidian, however, it seems like it's dull in bright sunlight. It looks really good under dimmer lights though. I also like how the wheels sort of match the gray color. (Saw this pic on the other thread, and I'm loving it)

Anyway... if you guys could give me some inputs, it'll be great. This is the hardest thing to pick!
Thank you guys!
Old 02-17-14, 05:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I agree with you 100% on your assessment with MRM and NGP depending on lighting and angles, since I've owned two MRMs and currently NGP on my RX F-Sport.

Tough one... I eliminated MRM on the 3IS because I needed a change having a 2IS and CT in that color, otherwise there's a reason why I bought two MRMs! I didn't buy NGP because I didn't want two Lexus vehicles in my driveway the same color...

Factors to consider:

1. MRM/Black - Flashier and you will be noticed more than NGP. Very rare 3IS color compared to U. White, Obsidian, and N Gray. But, all black interior is more business-like and "expected". A negative for me like you is the gorgeous rear of the 3IS seems less distinct with the rear red lights blending in more with the paint. Finally, swirls show a little more than NGP and can almost give off a less bright "maroon" color in lower lighting conditions.

2. NGP/R.Red - Blends in more to the road (literally, close to weathered out asphalt color), but the R.Red/NGP combo is exotic. Paint swirls show less on NGP than MRM and this color looks best in indirect sunlight (like overcast/cloudy - maybe that's why it's strategically called Nebula Gray )

3. Do other vehicles/colors you own affect your choice (like it did for me)?

Putting point 3 aside, my overall vote by a slight margin is the NGP/R.Red but because to me interior color/interior enjoyment is 50% of the vote. If you gave me a combo of NGP/Black, then it would be a toss-up. It's that close.

Hope this helps, but either way, remember this, the 3IS is like a gorgeous woman. Does the color of her bikini really matter? Once you choose, don't look back and enjoy the car and the variety of 3IS's you will see on the road. Good luck

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-17-14 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 06:01 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When I went to the dealer I saw the NGP on an IS 250, they didn't have an MRM in the IS series, they did have an ES 350 in the MRM, anyway I tried to visualize what the IS with the MRM would look like. Myself I love red cars and this red is perfect for me, not a flashy red and not a maroon either. Anyway I went with the IS 350 F sport MRM with the black interior. The car looks stunning when clean and sitting in the shade or garage, the grey was nice also but there are so many grey cars on the road today I wanted something different. The MRM with black interior is not an easy combination to find especially on the east coast. I would still be waiting for it today but a dealer in Portland, Maine had one coming in and they wanted a car my dealer had so they worked a swap out. Good luck shopping!!!

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
Hi guys,
Apologies first....I know there has been many threads talking about colors already, but I'm having the hardest time deciding which one to pick.

I'm about to purchase a new 3IS, and I would like your opinions about the 2 exterior colors.
I might be a bit nitpicky, but here goes:

MRM: I like how the front looks with MRM a lot. The Red, grille with silver outline, and the white daylight LEDs just fit perfectly together. But the rear, the tail light , so it doesn't have the contrast at night time when the rear lights are on, especially the side. Just too much red imo.

NGP: It's relatively easy to maintain, compare to the Obsidian, however, it seems like it's dull in bright sunlight. It looks really good under dimmer lights though. I also like how the wheels sort of match the gray color. (Saw this pic on the other thread, and I'm loving it)

Anyway... if you guys could give me some inputs, it'll be great. This is the hardest thing to pick!
Thank you guys!
Old 02-17-14, 12:52 PM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same dilemma.

Both the Rioja red leather & the MRM paint are awesome.
You can't go wrong with either one.

I picked the MRM cause they're more rare. I still haven't seen another '14 MRM IS on the road yet.
Old 02-17-14, 02:27 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
I had the same dilemma.

I picked the MRM cause they're more rare. I still haven't seen another '14 MRM IS on the road yet.
Next time you are riding around come up to Connecticut, you may run into mine.
Old 02-17-14, 02:33 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

MRM with flaxen or black interior.
I almost got a MRM. Didn't pull the trigger since i was unable to se the colour in real life.
Old 02-18-14, 09:44 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My current ride is the 2006 RX400h in silver, so either color for the IS.
Based on what you said...I'm leaning more toward NGP/R.Red... haha

I love the way you describe the IS... lol. The bikini color doesn't really matter... but you can only pick 1 to wear for the next couple of years and not get sick of it!

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Factors to consider:

1. MRM/Black - Flashier and you will be noticed more than NGP. Very rare 3IS color compared to U. White, Obsidian, and N Gray. But, all black interior is more business-like and "expected". A negative for me like you is the gorgeous rear of the 3IS seems less distinct with the rear red lights blending in more with the paint. Finally, swirls show a little more than NGP and can almost give off a less bright "maroon" color in lower lighting conditions.

2. NGP/R.Red - Blends in more to the road (literally, close to weathered out asphalt color), but the R.Red/NGP combo is exotic. Paint swirls show less on NGP than MRM and this color looks best in indirect sunlight (like overcast/cloudy - maybe that's why it's strategically called Nebula Gray )

3. Do other vehicles/colors you own affect your choice (like it did for me)?

Putting point 3 aside, my overall vote by a slight margin is the NGP/R.Red but because to me interior color/interior enjoyment is 50% of the vote. If you gave me a combo of NGP/Black, then it would be a toss-up. It's that close.

Hope this helps, but either way, remember this, the 3IS is like a gorgeous woman. Does the color of her bikini really matter? Once you choose, don't look back and enjoy the car and the variety of 3IS's you will see on the road. Good luck
I haven't seen a MRM yet around Irvine,CA area either. The most I've seen is white... saw 2 white F-Sports parked on the same parking lot the other day at Best Buy.

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
I had the same dilemma.

What did you end up getting?
Originally Posted by jhs82
MRM with flaxen or black interior.
I almost got a MRM. Didn't pull the trigger since i was unable to se the colour in real life.
Old 02-18-14, 10:02 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
What did you end up getting?
Nebula with black interior.
Old 02-18-14, 10:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

MRM will definately be the rarest of the two
Old 02-18-14, 12:10 PM
VelvetFog
Driver School Candidate

MFM FTW.
Old 02-18-14, 02:00 PM
skrules
Rookie

Originally Posted by VelvetFog
MFM FTW.
This. I got MRM and I do not regret it. It stands out in the crowd. I have had many people stop by and ask me about the car.