Slow/Unresponsive, Choppy Navigation-8500 Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 02:12 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow/Unresponsive, Choppy Navigation-8500 Update

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to address that I have received the latest firmware update; 8500(latest) on October 21, 2013, quite some time now.

And through my daily use of navigation/interface for 3 months, I still find it very slow, unresponsive, and choppy. Not really what i'd expect from a 50k car, but much better than the previous firmware(8400, 8300).

In all honesty, my friends 2009 BMW or even the 2IS(actually many other cars for that matter) was faster, responsive, and in all, not really anything to complain about.

I am disappointed because i'm purchasing this vehicle, and not leasing. I do not want to be stuck with a POS navi system for 'X' years.

For those of you with the 8500 update, do you feel that your navigation/interface is up to 2014 standards? Or even at least a 50k car?

Don't feel the need to be satisfied with what it is, because it can be better, if we wanted it to be. If you are an unsatisfied customer, it can be fixed.

Please voice your opinions, or concerns.
Old 01-22-14, 02:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Eh...It's definitely not perfect, and should be better. Luckily, I haven't had any of the major issues some other users have had. My issues come more with inconsistent functionality of Pandora (will it work today?) and the other Enform apps.

With that said, I have the older Lexus navigation system in my 2013 RX350. Even though my IS may have some lagging issues, I find the functionality to be so much more improved over what's in my RX, I tend to just roll with it.

I have let my dealer know that I'm not completely satisfied with the system, but don't feel a need to take it in, as I don't believe there is currently a solution to implement.

With that said, I'm not terribly worried because I believe Lexus will be able to address most issues in a future software update that I suspect they are currently working on (maybe hardware too). I think they'll make it right.
Old 01-22-14, 02:24 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I have the same problem with enform, I just play pandora straight form my phone.

Interesting enough, functionality and unresponsiveness(lag issue) is more of a ergonomics/software than a hardware issue.

They will only make it right if, we, the consumer voice this issue/complaint to them. Until then, nothing will happen to fix our complaints.

Last edited by aTeAse; 01-22-14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 02:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Sometimes, when the Enform apps won't work, I just log back out and into the application on my phone and that usually does it, though not always. I'm not sure there isn't an issue with the actual phone application.

I agree, Lexus must be made aware of the issues, but I am under the impression that they are already well aware, based on my conversations with my dealer about it. I also included it in my new owner's survey, and given the number of threads and posts on here with people stating that they had opened cases with Lexus, I see there really is no chance that they are unaware.
Old 01-22-14, 02:40 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I called 1-800-25-Lexus today, and also my dealership.

My dealership told me as of right now, they cannot do anything about it, because corporate has not given them any additional followups/updates after 8500.

And so I called corporate, I spoke with the representative and he is also unaware of the situation. He told me the only way there will be changes is, if we have the dealer make a case of the complaints on the navigation/interface. And after that is aware to dealerships, to call corporate and they will address a TSB.

How much informative awareness do they have, I do not know.

But I hope everyone here brings this to their dealership upon their next service, as a 'customer satisfactory' issue.

Last edited by aTeAse; 01-22-14 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 02:44 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's strange is that yes, I too have been told the same from my dealer and corporate; they need to hear from multiple customers in order to start working towards resolution. Pretty ridiculous.

If there's an issue, EVEN ON ONE CAR, they should be proactive, instead of the hands off approach they have been taking, not only / necessarily on this one issue, but on several that several have reported thus far. :|
Old 01-22-14, 02:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dbs600
If there's an issue, EVEN ON ONE CAR, they should be proactive, instead of the hands off approach they have been taking, not only / necessarily on this one issue, but on several that several have reported thus far. :|
Did they tell you they aren't working on a fix, or is this your assumption? What's the "hands off approach" they've been taking?

I understand it stinks, and don't like it myself, but I would rather they take the time needed to fix this once and for all, rather than give us little patches here and there. For me, if that means waiting a few months, I'm okay with that.
Old 01-22-14, 03:05 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Did they tell you they aren't working on a fix, or is this your assumption? What's the "hands off approach" they've been taking?

I understand it stinks, and don't like it myself, but I would rather they take the time needed to fix this once and for all, rather than give us little patches here and there. For me, if that means waiting a few months, I'm okay with that.
There appears to be two distinct issues regarding the radio / navigation system: 1. the delay / slowness and 2. the choppiness / unsmoothness, both issues having their own threads on this board.

W/r/t the delay / slowness, they're working on a fix and even though my dealer told me face to face that they see the delay I'm referring to, but that it's not 'that' bad, they will let me know when the 'contingency' (their words, not mine) is released and gave me an R.O. that sates that my system is operating as designed!?

W/r/t the choppiness / unsmoothness they also told me that they see what I'm referring to, but that it's normal (WHICH IT'S CERATINLY NOT FOR A $50k 2014 VEHICLE) and that they need to hear from other customers before they look into it (which is absurd)!? May be related to the delay / slowness, may not be, but this is the 'hands off approach' I'm referring to; poor communication regarding the acknowledgment of the problem / its cause and what appears to be no fix in the works.

Same goes for the heated seat and poor mpg's issues. A real shame, as this is, after all, Lexus, AND the car drives (engine and transmission), feels (seats and steering wheel) and looks great. :|

Last edited by dbs600; 01-22-14 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 03:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dbs600
There appears to be two distinct issues regarding the radio / navigation system: 1. the delay / slowness and 2. the choppiness / unsmoothness, both issues having their own threads on this board.

W/r/t the delay / slowness, they're working on a fix and even though my dealer told me face to face that they see the delay I'm referring to, they said it's not 'that' bad, they will let me know when the 'contingency' (their words, not mine) is released and gave me an R.O. that sates that my system is operating as designed!?

W/r/t the choppiness / unsmoothness they also todl me that they see what I'm referring to, but that it's normal (WHICH IT'S CERATINLY NOT FOR A $50k 2014 MY VEHICLE) and that they need to hear from other customers before they look into it (which is absurd)!? May be related to the delay / slowness, may not be, but this is the 'hands off approach' I'm referring to; poor communication regarding the acknowledgment of the problem / its cause and what appears to be no fix in the works.

Same goes for the heated seat and poor mpg's issues. A real shame, as this is, after all, Lexus, AND the car drives (engine and transmission), feels (seats and steering wheel) and looks great. :|
Thankfully, this is really the only issue I'm having with mine. Sorry to hear you're also having the seat heater issue and an issue with fuel consumption.

Hopefully, through all of this feedback, they can resolve our issues and make our wonderful cars even better. Cheers.
Old 01-22-14, 03:55 PM
bwk
Rookie

The dealer has replaced the head unit and also did 2 updates on mine. After the second update it is a little better but I do still cannot connect my iPod without it disconnecting by itself all the time and screen still freezes quite often. The updates however is less laggy
Old 01-22-14, 05:01 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Why did they replace the head unit? which firmware update do you have?