IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dumb iPod Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 01:06 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dumb iPod Question

Is it ok to leave an iPod connected into the USB port after the car is shut down? Or would doing so continue to drain the battery on the iPod or cause some other unintended consequence?
Old 01-12-14, 02:22 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Is it ok to leave an iPod connected into the USB port after the car is shut down? Or would doing so continue to drain the battery on the iPod or cause some other unintended consequence?
I don't think you'll have a problem leaving it plugged in. The only way it would drain the battery is if it's still getting juice (charging) after the car is off which I don't think is the case. Think of it like a power strip. You can leave something plugged in to a power strip but as soon as you shut the power strip off, nothing is getting power and you aren't wasting energy.
Old 01-12-14, 02:51 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DreLo
I don't think you'll have a problem leaving it plugged in. The only way it would drain the battery is if it's still getting juice (charging) after the car is off which I don't think is the case. Think of it like a power strip. You can leave something plugged in to a power strip but as soon as you shut the power strip off, nothing is getting power and you aren't wasting energy.
Thanks, that makes sense.
Old 01-12-14, 02:52 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience is Yes.

For example, if I leave my phone connected to the laptop to charge overnight the laptop auto completely shuts off at 5hrs. I've woken up to a phone in the 85-95% battery charge range. I can leave the same phone fully charged on the table at 10pm and go to it 11am the next day and most it will have been drained 2% but usually it's still at 100%.

When you are charging electronics they want a constant feed of electricity. It really isn't good for the phone to do that, and with the nav issues some people are experiencing I probably wouldn't do it for the car's sake either. The battery life of your phone is going to take some hits if you keep doing that ...and that's coming from experience not some website.
Old 01-12-14, 03:20 PM
GaryHE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've left my iPod's connected to the USB port on 4 different vehicles over the years (1 Volkswagen, 2 Acura's and a Lexus IS)…I've never had an issue. The only time I disconnect them is when I want to add new music to the iPod's.
Old 01-12-14, 03:27 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slust
My experience is Yes.

For example, if I leave my phone connected to the laptop to charge overnight the laptop auto completely shuts off at 5hrs. I've woken up to a phone in the 85-95% battery charge range. I can leave the same phone fully charged on the table at 10pm and go to it 11am the next day and most it will have been drained 2% but usually it's still at 100%.

When you are charging electronics they want a constant feed of electricity. It really isn't good for the phone to do that, and with the nav issues some people are experiencing I probably wouldn't do it for the car's sake either. The battery life of your phone is going to take some hits if you keep doing that ...and that's coming from experience not some website.
I wonder how leaving an iPod plugged in after shut off would adversely interact with the glitchy Nav system??
Old 01-12-14, 03:28 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I leave mine plugged in. You should have no problems leaving it plugged in. I do for all of my cars and remove them for those that I need to manually sync with itunes.
Old 01-12-14, 03:30 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GaryHE
I've left my iPod's connected to the USB port on 4 different vehicles over the years (1 Volkswagen, 2 Acura's and a Lexus IS)…I've never had an issue. The only time I disconnect them is when I want to add new music to the iPod's.
My last car purchase was over 12 years ago, so this is the first car with a USB port for me! Glad to hear about your lack such issues with four cars.
Old 01-12-14, 03:40 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I wonder how leaving an iPod plugged in after shut off would adversely interact with the glitchy Nav system??
I kept my iPod nano connected to the USB non stop when I first got the car and had several navi flash issues (sometime several in one trip). Once I disconnected the nano, my issues have significantly decreased, almost non-existent now. I can't explain why, but I will say I'm not using the USB right now.
Old 01-12-14, 03:44 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I kept my iPod nano connected to the USB non stop when I first got the car and had several navi flash issues (sometime several in one trip). Once I disconnected the nano, my issues have significantly decreased, almost non-existent now. I can't explain why, but I will say I'm not using the USB right now.
Did you also have your phone connected to the other USB port while your Nano was connected? I know others have had a problem with their iPods when their phones were also connected via USB. I charge my iPhone via the cigarettle lighter adapter and have no problems with my Nano connected to USB to date.
Old 01-12-14, 04:08 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Did you also have your phone connected to the other USB port while your Nano was connected? I know others have had a problem with their iPods when their phones were also connected via USB. I charge my iPhone via the cigarettle lighter adapter and have no problems with my Nano connected to USB to date.
No, I only had the one USB connected (nano). I generally never need to charge my phone in the car, so I've never had two USB's connected at one time.