IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cat Back + Mid Pipes - Will it void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-16, 03:58 PM
Lex2133
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat Back + Mid Pipes - Will it void warranty?

I'm at 6K miles after 8 months of owning my 2015 3IS F-Sport. Thinking about installing Invidia Cat Back + Mid-pipes. A few questions:

1. Does it void the warranty, if something were to come up with regards to engine, etc?
2. Doe it improve gas mileage?
3. Does it result in more power? HP, torque, top-end?
4. Is it legal? I live in Arizona.
5. Does it get a bit 'tiring' after a while? I mean, the sound is great and all that, but I guess we all prefer a quiet ride every now and then.
6. Has anyone had problems with neighbors complaining about the sound?
7. Best place to buy and price I should expect to pay?
8. Best place to have it installed? How much should I expect to pay for labor?

Thanks y'all. Your experience and advise much appreciated

Last edited by Lex2133; 04-21-16 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-21-16, 04:37 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't answer all your questions but I can answer a few, gas mileage might decrease because of a need to hear the exhaust. It will be loud and it really depends on your neighbors. It shouldn't void warranty unless it is the cause of a failure. And Amazon actually sells the exhaust you could check them out.

Last edited by ARM350F; 04-22-16 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 01:11 AM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1."The truth of the matter is that adding an aftermarket exhaust system to your vehicle will not void your warranty in most cases. Note that phrase, “most cases.” If your new system does not cause any damage to other components on the vehicle, then your warranty will be fine and remain intact.
However, if a problem arises that a mechanic can trace back to the aftermarket system you installed, then your warranty (or a portion of it) will be voided. For instance, let’s say you installed a full header-back aftermarket exhaust system, and the catalytic converter failed afterward because of something to do with the design of the aftermarket system. The warranty would be voided, and you’d be paying for a new cat out of your own pocket.
On the flip side, if the mechanic could not trace the failure to something to do with the aftermarket system, then your warranty would remain in place. Dealerships and automakers don’t really want to void your warranty, but they also don’t want to be on the hook for repair or replacement costs caused by something that you did, and that was not their fault." Valerie Mellema

2.Exhaust does not improve gas mileage. Your basically getting the exhaust for the sound.

3.In addition, some exhaust out in the market may improve hp,but not a significant amount.

4. Exhaust modifications are legal as long as they aren't too loud.

5. Your preference, many people never get tired of the sound, while others might get irritated eventually. A quick solution to this is listening to music while you drive, so you wouldn't hear so much of the exhaust.

6. Tbh it really depends where you live. Are your neighbors around your area nice,mean,****,etc?

7. Online. This will answer your question.

8. Your local auto shops, unless u want to say a couple hundred and try installing it yourself, because you can always refer to YouTube.

Last edited by LINSTEFAN; 04-24-16 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 12:26 PM
Lex2133
Rookie

Thank you Linstefan for taking the time.

This is what I just read on one of the ARK web-pages:

"Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))"
Old 04-22-16, 12:55 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex2133
Thank you Linstefan for taking the time.

This is what I just read on one of the ARK web-pages:

"Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))"
You found your answer on the website. It won't void it. Linstefan was not too clear about that part
Old 04-24-16, 01:05 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

1. Does it void the warranty, if something were to come up with regards to engine, etc? Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
2. Doe it improve gas mileage? It could, but most likely to decrease because you'll be stepping on the gas more.
3. Does it result in more power? HP, torque, top-end? Yes, more hp/tq. Less exhaust restrictions.
4. Is it legal? I live in Arizona. Not sure, but you'll be fine.
5. Does it get a bit 'tiring' after a while? I mean, the sound is great and all that, but I guess we all prefer a quiet ride every now and then. Depends how well you can deal with drone.
6. Has anyone had problems with neighbors complaining about the sound? Nope
7. Best place to buy and price I should expect to pay? Meraki Autoworks!
8. Best place to have it installed? How much should I expect to pay for labor? $100

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886