IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 Radio crashing - Nav crashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 04:16 PM
bguidizi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 Radio crashing - Nav crashing

Picked up my IS 350 Fsport last week and it came with a 90 trial of XM radio. Not having XM before I took it upon myself to peruse the channels starting at 1 and working my way up. When I got to the 150's ch 158 in particular, the radio crashed and rebooted. In the process the radio lost all the presets and also defaulted the media sources order back to the factory presets.

I was unsure what had caused this until I was perusing where I left off and sure enough when I get to ch 158 the radio crashed again.

I spoke with the dealer and of course they asked me to bring it in. Since that is a long trip I offered to take a video and upload to Youtube. Since this is a repeatable problem I was able to make the video and send the link to my service dept. They are looking into this.

Anyone else have XM and have any stations that cause it to crash your radio and lose your presets and media source order? Would love to know if this is just me or all Nav systems. BTW this is Nav with Mark Levinson. Don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Also had the Nav crash at least once and that was after they upgraded the Nav to the latest firmware version. It crashed each time I drove it prior to the firmware upgrade.

Anyone with similar experiences?
Old 09-13-13, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bguidizi
Picked up my IS 350 Fsport last week and it came with a 90 trial of XM radio. Not having XM before I took it upon myself to peruse the channels starting at 1 and working my way up. When I got to the 150's ch 158 in particular, the radio crashed and rebooted. In the process the radio lost all the presets and also defaulted the media sources order back to the factory presets.

I was unsure what had caused this until I was perusing where I left off and sure enough when I get to ch 158 the radio crashed again.

I spoke with the dealer and of course they asked me to bring it in. Since that is a long trip I offered to take a video and upload to Youtube. Since this is a repeatable problem I was able to make the video and send the link to my service dept. They are looking into this.

Anyone else have XM and have any stations that cause it to crash your radio and lose your presets and media source order? Would love to know if this is just me or all Nav systems. BTW this is Nav with Mark Levinson. Don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Also had the Nav crash at least once and that was after they upgraded the Nav to the latest firmware version. It crashed each time I drove it prior to the firmware upgrade.

Anyone with similar experiences?
teething issues I'm afraid, and a reason I don't buy first model years especially in this day and age when it's all computers and software with bugs. On more than one occasion I've had the Voice Command not functional, Navigation reset midway through a test drive, laggy slow Remote Touch Icons etc..

At least you documented the issue, forces Lexus's hand to address this which I believe is unacceptable considering Tier 1 status relative to short cuts, cheap materials, unproven firmware etc.
Old 09-13-13, 05:01 PM
bguidizi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
teething issues I'm afraid, and a reason I don't buy first model years especially in this day and age when it's all computers and software with bugs. On more than one occasion I've had the Voice Command not functional, Navigation reset midway through a test drive, laggy slow Remote Touch Icons etc..

At least you documented the issue, forces Lexus's hand to address this which I believe is unacceptable considering Tier 1 status relative to short cuts, cheap materials, unproven firmware etc.
I am not overly upset by discovering buggy software for a new product. I suppose am reasonable and while I have high standards I have no problem as long as the bugs are addressed in a reasonable amount of time. I have no experience with Lexus and how they handle break fix with their software. Can I take it from you post I should expect resistance from them? Is that your experience or have you heard they treated other owners that way? This isn't first nav system they put out and I am sure they had issues with previous generations. Curious how they handled those fixes.
Old 09-13-13, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bguidizi
I am not overly upset by discovering buggy software for a new product. I suppose am reasonable and while I have high standards I have no problem as long as the bugs are addressed in a reasonable amount of time. I have no experience with Lexus and how they handle break fix with their software. Can I take it from you post I should expect resistance from them? Is that your experience or have you heard they treated other owners that way? This isn't first nav system they put out and I am sure they had issues with previous generations. Curious how they handled those fixes.
Typically Lexus is pretty good. I only mention it because Lexus is still a automotive brand and they're not perfect nor is anyone else despite industry leading J.D. Power scores. Honestly it's going to come more down to the dealer franchise and how far they are willing to go. If it's not up to snuff that's when Corporate needs to get involved. It's not MY experience, but I work for a high end automall that includes Lexus so I've heard stories both here and online from other Lexus dealers. The more complaints there are about the firmware is a good thing because Lexus will move quicker than for only a handful of cases. The more that happens the quicker we'll get a TSB for the fix
Old 09-14-13, 11:38 AM
c3po33
Driver School Candidate

Default Mouse click & A/C issues

Yesterday I could not use the mouse clicker. I could scroll but not click when I pressed the mouse down nothing happened. This happened after the first 40 minutes in the car. I had to turn my car off and on again to get the mouse to click/select.

Also when I got in my car yesterday the temp outside said 100 even after 45 minutes of driving the air conditioner was not cooling properly. This is the first time this has happen and it has said 100 before. Maybe it was because I was barely moving for 2 blocks that took 25-30 minutes to cross, but that should not be a reason for a brand new A/C not to cool properly.
Old 09-14-13, 12:33 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c3po33
Yesterday I could not use the mouse clicker. I could scroll but not click when I pressed the mouse down nothing happened. This happened after the first 40 minutes in the car. I had to turn my car off and on again to get the mouse to click/select.

Also when I got in my car yesterday the temp outside said 100 even after 45 minutes of driving the air conditioner was not cooling properly. This is the first time this has happen and it has said 100 before. Maybe it was because I was barely moving for 2 blocks that took 25-30 minutes to cross, but that should not be a reason for a brand new A/C not to cool properly.
Sorry to hear you are having these issues. I hope Lexus can get this fixed for you.

As Hoovey2411 stated perhaps it's better to wait until next model year before buying to let Lexus work out these Kinks.
Old 09-14-13, 01:14 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Sorry to hear you are having these issues. I hope Lexus can get this fixed for you.

As Hoovey2411 stated perhaps it's better to wait until next model year before buying to let Lexus work out these Kinks.
It's pretty much night and day IMO. Just look at the 2006 vs 2007 IS and the massive amount of TSB's that came from the first model year. Granted by 2013 the 2IS is about as refined as they come. To Lexus's credit though, now that the Spindle has come into full motion departing the original L-Finesse, quality has been greatly improved. Lexus has always been a solid and reliable make, but that was up until 2005 when the first 2006 L-Finesse model hit dealers. Beautiful cars, but the quality and assembly was extremely subpar compared to just a model year earlier. By 2011/2012 and after the major 2010 recalls, the new CT and 2013 GS showed a massive improvement in quality and assembly which has thus far stayed true. Granted IS and ES material quality still leaves a bit to be desired, but they are improvements. Coming back to technology, as cars nowadays are rolling computers there will be teething issues which is evident with the radio/navi crashing - similar to my experiences above. Good thing though, Lexus is quick to address an issue if they find it's an issue. I've personally been pressing my manager to talk to corporate and get a fix faster for the firmware. But yeah it's my own personal rule of thumb not to buy the first model year 1. because of teething issues and 2. because the future updates are being held back so the model seems "fresh"
Old 09-17-13, 11:18 AM
SiriusXM
Driver School Candidate

Default SiriusXM

Hi there-

Would you please send us an email with your contact information and Radio ID/ESN to SXM_Help@Siriusxm.com, so we can work with our engineers to see what's happening.

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
Old 09-23-13, 09:50 AM
bguidizi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SiriusXM
Hi there-

Would you please send us an email with your contact information and Radio ID/ESN to SXM_Help@Siriusxm.com, so we can work with our engineers to see what's happening.

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
Just forwarded an email with links to youtube video showing of the crashing problem. Lexus corporate has informed me that this should be fixed in a firware update coming at the end of Sept.