IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does the Satellite Radio have Fewer Options than FM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 04:41 AM
raott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Satellite Radio have Fewer Options than FM?

2016 IS 300 F-Sport with Nav.

Maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere, but the satellite radio interface is a bit of a disappointment.

1) The artist and song lines only uses half the width of the display. For example "Welcome to the Jungle" is truncated to "Welcome to the J". That is not true with the over the air radio. The OTA uses the entire width of the display, which usually results in a full artist and song name being displayed. What could possibly be the reason to truncate the information with the Satellite feed?

2) Why is there no 15 minute rewind with the Satellite radio. It don't understand why it is an option to rewind FM or AM radio (which presumably has to be converted to digital first) but can't with a satellite station, which is already a digital signal.

3) Why does the satellite radio not display which teams broadcast it is for NFL games. My wife's Ford displays the teams, score and which teams broadcast I'm listening to, so the information is definitely available. This may be related to #1 above.

Is there a setting I'm not seeing or are these just poor design decisions.
Old 12-15-15, 09:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus infotainment has never been it's strong suit

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-15-15 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-15-15, 10:26 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Forget all that - what about the extremely poor sound quality - I won't be signing up after the free trial at all.
Old 12-15-15, 11:06 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Satellite radio is a sirius rip-off.
Old 01-03-16, 07:46 AM
raott
Driver School Candidate

For what it's worth, I played around with some of the options and found that, if a song or artist is truncated, pressing "Text" will bring up a screen that will show whatever data was truncated. That screen has a line for Artist and Song. It only displays whatever data was truncated and only displays data when something was truncated.

Really bizarre engineering decision, IMO.

For example "Welcome to the Jungle" gets truncated to "Welcome to the J". Press the "Text" button and on the song line you'll see "Welcome to the Jungle" but you won't see anything on the artist line if it was not truncated.

Overall, happy with the car, but really disappointed with the Sat radio. Cannot rewind like I can with FM, cannot set a song or artist alert, incomplete information on the display, etc. My wife's Ford has far more options with her Sat factory Sat radio.
Old 01-03-16, 09:50 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended my contract with Sirius. Out of a ton of stations only a few have genuine interest to me. I like sports radio but Sirius plays commercials every 10 minutes like free AM does . Now I listen to free AM for Sports (Patrick, Cowherd, and local sports people) and stream Spotify or listen to HD. Don't miss Sirius at all.
Old 01-03-16, 09:47 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i entered into a year-long contract after the initial trial ended and i ended mine subscription as well. now they won't stop calling. i use pandora now.