IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 OEM HID Ballast replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 08:35 AM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 OEM HID Ballast replacement

What is the OEM brand for the HID ballast and has anyone had success replacing the actual ballast with wire and all WITHOUT needing to unglue the headlights? My original HID lights have been turning off so Im needing to turn them back on, replaced one of the headlights with the Morimtoto XB and still same issue so I think its due to bad ballasts.
Old 05-07-16, 12:35 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The oem brand is made by Toyota. I have successfully change the ballast without taking the headlight apart. I unscrew the ballast and pry out the two wires and solder it onto the bew ballast. There's a guide on here that show you how to do it.
Old 05-07-16, 12:50 PM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The OEM ballast is made by Denso. You can take apart the bulb socket by carefully prying it apart. Use a flathead screwdriver or other similar tool to take off the metal cap that covers the socket. There are a couple of tabs that snap onto the socket. Once the cover is off you can pry apart the actual socket. When completely apart, the wires just pry out of the socket. Tie some string to the original ballast wiring before taking it out of the headlight housing. You will need to untie the string and tie it up to the new ballast wiring. It will be infuriating trying to feed the new wiring back into the headlight if you don't do this. There is a video that details the process of disassembling the ballast socket somewhere on here. Sorry, I do not have the direct link.
Old 05-07-16, 11:38 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Here's a DIY https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...headlight.html
Old 05-08-16, 12:29 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IamLexus
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...sassembly.html

Found this one as well. I guess it all really comes down to one thing...do you think you need to replace other end which is inside the headlight, if you do then take apart the headlight right? if not then just replace ballast and keep existing wiring thats inside your headlights.
Old 05-10-16, 12:08 AM
IamLexus
Intermediate

keep existing wires. I had the same issue, my right headlight was turning off like 2-5 minutes after turning them on. I would have to turn off my headlight and turn it back on. It wasn't my ballast, it was my bulb.
Old 05-10-16, 08:08 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

keep existing wires. I had the same issue, my right headlight was turning off like 2-5 minutes after turning them on. I would have to turn off my headlight and turn it back on. It wasn't my ballast, it was my bulb.
I guess you lucked out, I have replaced the stock bulb with new one and same behavior, meaning my light keeps turning off. so I got my IS brand new at end of 06 for the 07 model so 10 years is a good run i guess.
Old 05-10-16, 11:37 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by axis77
I guess you lucked out, I have replaced the stock bulb with new one and same behavior, meaning my light keeps turning off. so I got my IS brand new at end of 06 for the 07 model so 10 years is a good run i guess.
Even though I lucked out, I was gullible listening to my mechanic saying its the ballast. I replaced the ballast first like a idiot before changing the bulb.
Old 05-11-16, 03:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Guys, always swap the bulbs from one side to another before condemning the ballast. Replacing the bulb with a new one is only a good test if you are sure the new bulb is good -- which it might not be if you bought a cheap off-brand or a counterfeit one from eBay or Amazon.
Old 05-11-16, 06:38 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My left side does the same thing atm. I was thinking ballast too but will try switching the bulbs.

Is taking out the hid the same as changing the DRL's?
Old 05-11-16, 07:56 AM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Pretty much, take the entire bumper off.
Old 05-11-16, 08:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Pretty much, take the entire bumper off.
To clarify; that's only to replace the ballast. Replacing or swapping the bulbs just requires removing the windshield washer fill hose and the airbox.
Old 05-11-16, 09:12 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased a brand new ballast and had some trouble soldering it like the DIY above. So Instead I spliced the wires from the new ballast to the wiring harness from the headlight and it would work for a few seconds then stop working. Turns out your not supposed to splice the wires and almost caused a fire a few times while I was putting things back together. Next time I'm going to have somebody solder it for me like the DIY above...
Old 07-24-18, 07:53 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My passenger ballast just went out on my 07 is350. Do you guys recommend replacing the driver side too while I'm at it?
Old 07-26-18, 05:12 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
My passenger ballast just went out on my 07 is350. Do you guys recommend replacing the driver side too while I'm at it?
Swap the bulbs first.
My 2013 lost a bulb at the 5 year mark / 50k mi. Swapped the bulbs and proved it was not the ballast.

Yes is the answer if one actually failed.

Quick Reply: 2007 OEM HID Ballast replacement