IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trunk Safe/Gun Safe IS250

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 08:00 AM
ALewIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Safe/Gun Safe IS250

I recently purchased an IS250 and was faced with a challenge I have not had before, Where can I install a safe to store pistols/ammo/valuables?

To start: this is not a debate of guns or similar... I have my CCW permit and carry all the time, but when certain establishments/areas restrict I needed a safe place to lock it in the car.

I have searched everywhere on this forum the last few weeks and did not find an option I liked. After searching around the entire vehicle the only option was in the trunk. My goal was to keep as much usable space as possible and still keep the safe bolted and secure. This is what I came up with.

The safe is bolted to the "roof" of the trunk and I made several leather holsters (for each of my carry pistols) and put industrial velcro on them so I can switch out whichever one I choose to have that day. It is conveniently within reach, secure from sliding/moving around, and not very noticeable of others while driving (I do not leave it here, only while driving so there is not an imprint on the leather seat when I sit)

Let me know what ya think and hope it gave some others ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Safe/Gun Safe IS250-image2.jpg   Trunk Safe/Gun Safe IS250-image4.jpg   Trunk Safe/Gun Safe IS250-image5.jpg   Trunk Safe/Gun Safe IS250-holster.jpg   Trunk Safe/Gun Safe IS250-image3.jpg  

Old 10-05-15, 09:20 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Why do you need extra ammo?

There is a place in the dash where the center speaker would be that you can hide stuff if you don't have a speaker there.
Old 10-06-15, 02:52 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bro that looks good. Too bad the center console wasnt larger. I know they make vaults for escalades and suvs.
That looks good in the trunk. If you're just transporting it then cool. I have a lot of weapons myself and only keep mine handy if I'm in a city that's shady.

Check out this post I found for you:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-in-lexus.html

Bad - can be stolen unless taken out every night
if you need it right away you're F'd
Old 10-06-15, 04:21 PM
ALewIS250
Driver School Candidate

Why do you need extra ammo?

There is a place in the dash where the center speaker would be that you can hide stuff if you don't have a speaker there.

-Extra ammo- I hope I would never need it, but better to have and not need than to need and not have

Bro that looks good. Too bad the center console wasnt larger. I know they make vaults for escalades and suvs.
That looks good in the trunk. If you're just transporting it then cool. I have a lot of weapons myself and only keep mine handy if I'm in a city that's shady.

Check out this post I found for you:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2...-in-lexus.html

Bad - can be stolen unless taken out every night
if you need it right away you're F'd

-While driving it is always ready to go under my ignition button, the safe is only when I have to go somewhere with restrictions i.e. school, government building (that darn DMV/BMV) etc...

I was looking everywhere hoping someone created a console vault like the ones you've referred to. Our consols are just a little dainty for such a feature I guess.
Thanks for that link, I really like the versatility of mine with the velcro and I really enjoy making new holsters from leather, this was another good excuse to make some
Old 10-06-15, 04:52 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Cal laws are too restricted especially with open carry. I wont debate about it but make something new or create a spot to place it. Extra ammo is ALWAYS a must. Having a mag or 2 is crucial depending on situation. My shots are on point, I usually hit 90% or better center mass or head shots.
Old 10-06-15, 10:11 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I like the idea but it looks too visible. Once you open your trunk and people see that safe, they are gonna want to get their hands on it hoping you have something valuable.
Old 10-07-15, 02:07 AM
ALewIS250
Driver School Candidate

^ I agree, But could not find any other place to put it or hide it!? Was almost tempted to lose my spare tire and put it down there, but with my luck I would really regret that when I need the spare. Ive always had extended cab trucks which were very spacious compared to this little car (one of the only minor complaints I have). I could go with a smaller safe, but this one is perfect size for my laptop/ Ipad/ and several other items.

The point of bolting it down (or up) is to deter a smash-n-grab. I realize if someone had tools & time & could go unnoticed, they would be able to get into the trunk and then the safe. Im all ears for other options though, these practical projects are fun for me and can't have too many hidden/safe compartments
Old 10-08-15, 01:27 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I had that same safe at home, but when i found out how easy it was to open with a paperclip, and then tried to open it with a paperclip and succeeded i got rid of it.
Old 10-08-15, 06:57 PM
ALewIS250
Driver School Candidate

Damn that is dissapointing ^^ . I will be safe shopping this weekend to find a more secure one to bolt in there... Any suggestions?? the same size would be great. big enough for a macbook pro/ ipad or a couple handguns. One with buttons to unlock would be ideal. eventually will get one with biometric lock for the car but not yet.
Old 10-09-15, 06:55 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the safe itself is an ok safe, its just the key cylinder used for the override that is no secure. I guess you could epoxy over the keyhole or something, but then your manual override wouldn't work if your batteries died etc. I would just do some research before buying a new one, no safe is 100% secure, but the paperclip was just too easy with this one. The same type of key cylinder is used in office desks and cheap file cabinets, i stopped storing my person things in my desk once i opened that up with a paperclip as well lol.
Old 10-09-15, 03:01 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

I would never leave my weapon in my car no matter what type of safe it is. All safes can be breached it's just how long will it take.
Old 10-09-15, 05:07 PM
ALewIS250
Driver School Candidate

There are times when places that do not allow concealed carry are unavoidable. When this is the case there is no other option. ^

I am considering Fort Knox vaults, or Vline desk safe. These have much better ratings.
Old 10-09-15, 05:51 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ALewIS250
There are times when places that do not allow concealed carry are unavoidable. When this is the case there is no other option. ^

I am considering Fort Knox vaults, or Vline desk safe. These have much better ratings.
Understandable, I forgot to add "at night". Lol. My bad. Daytime I wouldn't worry as much and placement of my car.
Old 10-09-15, 11:10 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have my spare tire removed for my amp and have never had an issue. Just in case, I do, I have the fix a flat spray stuff, that from what I have read, actually works really well, and a mini compressor that plugs into the cigarette outlet. The lower board in my trunk is still removable on each side and there's hollow spaces where I was able to fit the compressor, I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit a small safe in there, or even just hide the gun very very discreetly and you may not even need to remove the spare tire. I feel like you would have more chance of losing a gun in a visible safe, than a well hidden gun tucked away?.
Old 10-09-15, 11:52 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I would like to use the space on the rear center armrest to keep my pistol (of course I will take it with me when I be out