Halogen and hid headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 03:36 AM
booey23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halogen and hid headlights

Hello fellow members!

I am currently shopping for an is350 and I have a question regarding the headlights that the is has to offer. So the year im likely to get are the 06-08 models and i know for a fact that they dont have the led strip. So i shopped and found some aftermarket ones and they said "for halogen models only". My question is what is the big differences between the halogen ones and the hids other than the obvious being that they both use different kind of bulbs? Will i still be able to fit the aftermarkets? Also any good sites that i can get them from? The site im looking is the prodspec. I searched and couldnt find any info. So any links or answer will be appreciated!
Old 08-17-15, 07:38 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

One big difference is that 06-08 with HID is equipped with AFS, the system that analyses direction the steering wheel is turned and the speed you are traveling in order to swivel the beam left or right and illuminate where you are going. You'll lose that functionality, and have to pull a fuse to keep a warning light from flashing on the dashboard.

This thread has lots of information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...w-version.html
Old 08-18-15, 01:46 AM
booey23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
One big difference is that 06-08 with HID is equipped with AFS, the system that analyses direction the steering wheel is turned and the speed you are traveling in order to swivel the beam left or right and illuminate where you are going. You'll lose that functionality, and have to pull a fuse to keep a warning light from flashing on the dashboard.

This thread has lots of information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...w-version.html
So basically everything should fit and all i would have to do is change the different bulbs? Also thanks for the link, big help! Removing that fuse would just take away the light and thats it? Not a huge problem?
Old 08-18-15, 11:11 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by booey23
So basically everything should fit and all i would have to do is change the different bulbs? Also thanks for the link, big help! Removing that fuse would just take away the light and thats it? Not a huge problem?
If my ability to research is correct, then all you lose is AFS if you have the factory HID's which come on Sport and Luxury models only I belive. You should have no problem fitting them and they SHOULD work correctly , the only problem is that if you don't pull the Fuse for the AFS then there will be a light on your dash telling you that it's not working.

If you buy the halogen model however , you should be fine and won't have to remove any fuse or anything. Also dig around on this site a bit and try to research the lights your gonna buy before you pull the trigger. There's a fairly popular thread on here about a member who purchased the OEM LED replicas sold by Vipmotoz on Ebay and so far it's going good for him as well as others jumping on board. Just search "eBay headlight deep review" or something along those lines. Hope this helps.