Lexus IS250 3GR-FSE Swap - Possible???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 09:37 AM
Raumdeuter
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchargef 3gr fse

Originally Posted by Mattyc007
Swap was completed a few days back but could not get any coolant delivered 😩 as toyota are on lockdown.
so yesterday i filled it with halfords pink long life, should be ok for now.
fitted my modded front headlights and 2015 style bumper this morning and took the car around the block a few times to get it all up to temp
It all seems fine apart from some funky smells i think is just oil burning off the exhausts etc.
ive not really give it much stick yet as i need to top up my auto box as i lost a little fluid, also now on order from toyota.

i have decided to run with my standard ecu for now just to get some miles on the engine etc
but i will also be doing some live data with my el cheepo obd scanner just to check what sort of fuel trims im getting ( and then figure out what they mean)

i can 100% guarantee this is a straight forward swap
i have done this on my own with a standard halfords socket set 😜 and it has taken me a little over 3 short days.
im well happy
Did you ever install the supercharger?
Old 08-01-22, 02:50 AM
CMcK92
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Mattyc007
hi everyone, i am 1 day into doing this swap on my 2006 is, i havn’t hit any major hurdles yet 🤞,
i will be lifting the old engine and box out tomorrow as the engine had a small noise that im not overstruck on hearing and thought this would be an ideal time to step up to the 3L.
i see what people are saying about the ecu not having enough scope to run the 3gr but i was also under the impression that our ecus wasn’t tunable or am i wrong, i have the engine ecu that came with my 3gr engine and im contemplating (once the engine is all back in) at hooking up the 3gr ecu, can anyone tell me why i shouldn't.
sorry to revive an old thread im just looking for any ideas.
TIA
I just wanted to check for an update on your engine swap because I'm looking to do the same, and any UK contacts you have to help (maps etc) would be appreciated.

I have an Automatic RWD 2008 is250, I'm looking to drop in a 3GR from an auto GS300, which is pretty much what you've done right?

I'm hoping it's literally a case of one engine out, one engine in, fire her up and she's good to go, but I have a few questions:

1) Is there anything I should change on the new engine before putting it in? Most people seem to change flywheels etc, but noticed these are 6MT not auto.

2) If I want to use the 4GR ECU do I also need to swap my 4GR inlets etc to the 3GR block? Most engines seem to come with all of these already attached so seems a waste not to use them, but I'd rather swap my old parts on than have to mess with wiring and ECUs.

3) Did you have to map your ECU in the end?

4) Where did you find your engine?! I'm getting offered a few, but they all seem a bit shady when it comes to verifying mileage.

5) Any downsides so far?

Any tips appreciated! Thank you!
Old 03-19-23, 04:36 PM
Raumdeuter
2nd gear

Default 3gr swap

Originally Posted by is350uk
I think the 3gr-fse engine will work using the electronics from the 4gr fse, I have done some research and found that the injectors, mass airflow, AFR sensors throttle body, fuel pump, cams and all the sensors are all the same so it should work just like factory, I confident that it will I went out and bought a 3gr-fse for myself to swap it in the is 250. Nothing try nothing done, I will put it in near the summer cause I am working 7 days a week for now
Did you ever manage to accomplish?
Old 03-20-23, 03:27 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Raumdeuter
Did you ever manage to accomplish?
It 100% works! Plug and Play R&R.
Bonus is extra displacement w more torque!
The following users liked this post:
Jahseriah (04-14-23)
Old 04-13-23, 07:30 AM
Y2kayo
10th Gear

Originally Posted by is350uk
Just did the swap and finished it yesterday, 3gr-fse in the is 250
What transmission is in your is?
I have a 04 crown athlete I'm wanting to make manual.
3gr-fse to manual.
I should be able to use my ecu no?
Did you need any special adapter plate or did it just bolt on?

Thanks