IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Winter tire installation: oiled lug nuts, and more

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 07:08 PM
bryan11
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Winter tire installation: oiled lug nuts, and more

The previous owner of my 2008 is 350 had everything done at the dealer and gave me a set wheels with winter tires on them when I purchased the car. Today, I installed them and discovered a few strange things.

First, the one wheel was had the lug nuts covered in what looks like used motor oil. Why would someone do that? It seemed like the oil was in the cap of the lug nut, releasing the oil when they were removed.

Next, a lug nut was missing from a rear wheel. It was likely lost in the last 2000 miles since the dealer inspection before it was purchased. No vibration when driving and the other nuts were tight. That's scary, though, since years ago I borrowed an Audi, felt a tire vibrating, then discovered a missing lug nut and the rest of the nuts finger tight.

Are there any tests I should perform after finding that missing lug nut?
Old 11-22-14, 07:37 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

make sure you are using the right lug nut style (acorn, etc) for the right type of wheel (oem vs aftermarket)
Old 11-22-14, 09:19 PM
bryan11
Driver

Originally Posted by pmanliu
make sure you are using the right lug nut style (acorn, etc) for the right type of wheel (oem vs aftermarket)
The summer wheels are from American Racing and have black spline drive acorn nuts. They're narrow and have an adapter to attach/remove them.

The winter wheels are Lexus OEM that likely came with the car. May I use the same lug nuts, or do the OEM wheels take something different?
Old 11-22-14, 09:38 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan11
The previous owner of my 2008 is 350 had everything done at the dealer and gave me a set wheels with winter tires on them when I purchased the car. Today, I installed them and discovered a few strange things.

First, the one wheel was had the lug nuts covered in what looks like used motor oil. Why would someone do that? It seemed like the oil was in the cap of the lug nut, releasing the oil when they were removed.

Next, a lug nut was missing from a rear wheel. It was likely lost in the last 2000 miles since the dealer inspection before it was purchased. No vibration when driving and the other nuts were tight. That's scary, though, since years ago I borrowed an Audi, felt a tire vibrating, then discovered a missing lug nut and the rest of the nuts finger tight.

Are there any tests I should perform after finding that missing lug nut?
I've seen people use motor oil or even wd/40 on threads to make it easier to removed the next time. IDK if it necessarily works for lug nuts but that could be the case on the oil some could have probably just gotten trapped

as for the lug missing, 1 lug nut missing out of 5 is okay with the recommendation to get it fixed when possible. 2 lug nuts missing, not the worst thing but fix asap. I've ran with 3 lug nuts before that were torqued properly and had no issues. anymore missing than that is not worth putting your life in danger. The reason why the audi was vibrating was probably the lugs werent torqued to spec which you would be surprised on how many peoples cars that happens on. Hand tight is not always tight
Old 11-23-14, 01:08 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan11
The summer wheels are from American Racing and have black spline drive acorn nuts. They're narrow and have an adapter to attach/remove them.

The winter wheels are Lexus OEM that likely came with the car. May I use the same lug nuts, or do the OEM wheels take something different?
Do not use acorn lug nuts with stock wheels. The proper stock lug nuts have a different seat style and a washer.
Old 11-23-14, 05:19 AM
bryan11
Driver

Thanks, it's good to know missing one lug nut isn't going to cause issues.

This is an OEM wheel that needs non-acorn lug nuts, right?

Lexus 2008 OEM wheel

NAPA had these two types of lug nuts for my vehicle. It looks like I need 20 of the type on the right with the washer.

NAPA lug nuts
Old 11-23-14, 11:52 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

^Correct, they are called a "mag style" lug nut.

Some shops will slap on a little oil due to the wheel stud itself being rusty or slightly cross threaded to help ease installation. In those cases I'd prefer a little elbow-grease; hit the studs with a wire brush and then follow-up with a little anti-seize.
Old 11-25-14, 06:20 PM
bryan11
Driver

It looks like that missing lug nut was a blessing in disguise. Simply using the same lug nuts on the OEM wheels may have been unsafe. After checking prices a bit, I ordered some 'mag style' lug nuts.

Lessons learned from this thread and others:
- The correct lug nuts need to be used with the correct wheels and what fits one wheel may not fit another. The narrow, spline type lug nuts for the summer wheels weren't the right type for the OEM wheels. You can make them fit, but it sounds like they may come loose and be dangerous to use.

- The Lexus part number for the lug nut to fit these OEM wheels is 9094201033

- The wheels should be tightened with a torque wrench to 76 ft-lbs and never with an air wrench. No oil or anti-sieze compounds should be applied to the threads. They should only be cleaned with a wire brush.

- Almost all local auto parts stores sold the same brand of mag style lug nuts from 'Dorman'. Prices ranged from $2.35 to $4.99.

- McGard lug nuts are highly regarded, but they don't appear to make any 'mag style' lug nuts to fit OEM wheels.
Old 11-26-14, 05:26 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Never oil or lube the bolts on the wheels. You can use anti-seize but never oil. They are supposed to lock in and keep the rims attached to the hub via friction. You do not want the bolts to become undone.