is250 auto engine swap - Club Lexus Forums


is250 auto engine swap

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-13, 04:54 PM   #1
95htk6850r
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 3
Default is250 auto engine swap

I recently messed up my is250 6mt engine when i ran over a aluminum tank in the middle of the night. Is there any difference between a manual engine and auto engine? I want to swap out the blown motor but all i see on ebay are automatic engine. My two options are listed below.

1. Do a full manual to auto coversion
2. Pull out the old blown engine and replace with a new auto engine but still used the manual transmission/ecu/harness
95htk6850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 05:08 PM   #2
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
iTrader: (1)
 
Jeff Lange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,629
Default

Option 2 is really your only real option, and should be exactly what you want.

Option 1 is going to be a major headache and will require far more parts than you probably think it will.

Jeff
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 01:38 PM   #3
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,977
Default

As usual, I agree with Jeff.
Gville350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 01:44 PM   #4
B16da9
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
B16da9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
Option 2 is really your only real option, and should be exactly what you want.

Option 1 is going to be a major headache and will require far more parts than you probably think it will.

Jeff
What Jeff said, back when I worked as a mechanic we use to also swap over the intake manifolds from the blow engine especially if we used an automatic engine on a manual gear box cars as sometimes there would be slight differences between the two (Perhaps Jeff can confirm if the IM are the same).

One other thing you might want to do before you install the new engine is check the condition of your clutch and also replace the rear main seal.
B16da9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 03:18 PM   #5
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,977
Default

^Good point! But seeing what others have experienced, I'd stay away from the F-sport and SPEC aftermarket options.

I assume the actual short block (block + heads) are the same model-to-model. But there could be some minor switches/relays/etc that might be a tad different model-to-model. So reuse the intake/exhaust manifolds, and other non-damaged components from off current "junk" motor.

GL!
Gville350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 03:51 PM   #6
95htk6850r
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 3
Default

thanks for the help guys. I know this is a newbie question, but can i rebuild the motor after the motor seize since there was no oil going to the engine? I feel like this is a better option for me since I'll get a fresh engine and I dont have to worry about the auto and manual engine difference. The 6mt engine is going to be a pain in the *** to find since I rarely see standard transmission is250.
95htk6850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 04:43 PM   #7
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Gville350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,977
Default

^I'm not sure if you mis-read the posts, but all agree that you CAN use an auto-based engine as a replacement.

Well, the damage depends on if you drove the car after the oil loss and spun bearings. If you scared the crank and rods badly, then you're right up in refurb'd motor territory. If it was as simple as replacing the damaged parts, that'd be something else.

List the specific damages of the motor so I can give you an estimate in machining costs.
Gville350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 04:49 PM   #8
95htk6850r
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville350 View Post
^I'm not sure if you mis-read the posts, but all agree that you CAN use an auto-based engine as a replacement.

Well, the damage depends on if you drove the car after the oil loss and spun bearings. If you scared the crank and rods badly, then you're right up in refurb'd motor territory. If it was as simple as replacing the damaged parts, that'd be something else.

List the specific damages of the motor so I can give you an estimate in machining costs.
I havent check out the engine yet, but the 20lb aluminum tank went through the radiator, condenser, and oil pan. Since the airbag smack me right in the face. Didnt know what happen until the engine die out when I was already pulled over. I'm just looking at the worst case scenario to rebuild the engine. thanks
95htk6850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 10:30 PM   #9
jleeIS
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95htk6850r View Post
I havent check out the engine yet, but the 20lb aluminum tank went through the radiator, condenser, and oil pan. Since the airbag smack me right in the face. Didnt know what happen until the engine die out when I was already pulled over. I'm just looking at the worst case scenario to rebuild the engine. thanks
Just curious, this sounds like a situation where insurance would actually pay for the damage. are they already taking care of the repairs for everything else? M
jleeIS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd gen Lexus IS250 Manual to Auto? Demanshd IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 9 11-09-16 05:38 PM
SC430 Manual Tranny Swap bagyo SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) 14 10-12-13 12:26 PM
anyone ever blown their engine?????? 1WILLY1 SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) 43 07-18-11 01:59 PM
AT vs MT ECU? ghoul ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 3 05-27-10 06:07 PM


Tags
car, engine, es350, forum, is250, rebuild, swap

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved