IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weapon in Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 08:38 AM
Z06Boricua
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
One of them is an ex ATF officer so he knows his laws very well. In case you're wondering why he's no longer one it was a family decision and is now a cop for an upscale city where I once caught him guarding a pot hole so the citizens to hit it. Lmao (I give him **** for it all the time)
All I can tell you guys if you don't want to believe me is to buy and read Jon Gutmacher's book which explains Florida firearms law.

Jose
Old 08-23-12, 08:59 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Boricua
Sorry guys, I know this is going off-topic, but I feel the need to correct this bit of misinformation. There is absolutely no "2 step" or "3 step" rule in the state of Florida. This is misinformation that has been spread around so much over the years that it has almost become "truth". The fact is, there is only one condition that must be met when carrying a firearm in your private conveyance in the state of Florida. Unfortunately, the way the statute is written leads to nothing but confusion.

Here is the bottom line... In Florida, if you possess a valid CWFL, you can have the firearm anywhere you want, whether on your body or near you, readily accessible. The only requirement is that it be concealed. You cannot drive with it on the dashboard in plain view, nor can you have it sitting on the seat next to you where someone could easily identify it as a firearm. As long as it's concealed from plain view, you're legal and good to go.

Without a CWFL, you can still carry a firearm in your vehicle, but it must meet one of two requirements... The firearm must be securely encased OR not readily accessible for immediate use. Placing the firearm in your center console right next to you is legal, as long as there is a lid that needs to be opened. The firearm can be unholstered or holstered, that doesn't matter because it already meets the securely encased criteria. Now if you want, you can put the firearm in a shoebox with lid on it on the passenger seat, and that meets the criteria for being securely encased. Also, placing the firearm in the glove box is enough to fulfill the criteria. There are no "steps" involved at all. You can have the firearm unholstered in the glove box and you're legal.

The problem is that people see "in a glove compartment, snapped in a holster" and they assume that it means "holstered inside of a glove box". The "or" conjunction here is key however. Gutmacher's book does a fantastic job of breaking this all down. Also one other thing... There is absolutely no distinction ANYWHERE in Florida firearm statutes between a loaded and unloaded firearm. They are considered to be the same in the eyes of the statutes, so assume all firearms are loaded. Hope this helps!

Jose

Thank you...I know I wasn't drunk when I found this information out....about once u have a CCW it can be ready accessible..."point n shoot"
Old 08-23-12, 09:28 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Florida CCL owners....
Just got off the phone with PBCPD... They stated the following:

-IF you own a CCL and it's not out of date you may place the gun loaded or unloaded anywhere you desire in your vehicle so long as it's not "easily" seen. In this case under the seat is fine (I don't recommend that)

The gun clause Vroom and b16's brothers state is ALSO correct. But for those without a CCL.
Old 08-23-12, 09:35 AM
Z06Boricua
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Florida CCL owners....
Just got off the phone with PBCPD... They stated the following:

-IF you own a CCL and it's not out of date you may place the gun loaded or unloaded anywhere you desire in your vehicle so long as it's not "easily" seen. In this case under the seat is fine (I don't recommend that)

The gun clause Vroom and b16's brothers state is ALSO correct. But for those without a CCL.
You should've asked them where exactly it describes the "steps" in detail. I'm sorry but they're dead wrong. Police enforce law, they do not interpret it. Interpretation of law is left up to judges. The main deal here is that everyone should have a FL CWFL so you don't have to worry about this nonsense! Not to mention with a CWFL you no longer have to worry about Florida's 3 day waiting period. You go to an FFL, buy a gun, and walk out with it the same day. Gotta love it!

Jose
Old 08-23-12, 11:28 AM
LaVaism
Pole Position

In Texas we have a 2 step requirement process....step 1 point, step 2 shoot. (aiming is not required but highly recommended)

I like the magnet idea I will play around with that and see how it would work for me. For my purpose I am looking for a way to unholster my weapon and keep it within reach of my right hand (right handed shooter) hence why the door wouldn't work well for me. Maybe I can mount the magnet behind the center console and have it sticking out so it looks somewhat flush.

In Texas I am required to keep it concealed at all times so I might have to make some modification

I am also wanting a way to keep the weapon secure in case of an accident, last thing I want to happen is airbags deploy and the weapon goes flying around the car.

Side note: To the Candians, California, and DC people. Sorry your goverment doesn't allow you to protect yourself.

To the Florida people, damn you have a lot of rules to follow you! Texas is very simple.
Old 08-23-12, 11:30 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

^Sucks your government makes you have front plates
Old 08-23-12, 11:41 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Old 08-23-12, 11:43 AM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CCJ22
^Sucks your government makes you have front plates
You are not lying on that one!!!! I even wrote them an e-mail and said I can save you 50% a year on DMV cost. Stop stamping the second plate!

Just waiting for them to respond back with "then we lose the money on the tickets"
Old 08-23-12, 12:27 PM
Z06Boricua
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LaVaism
To the Florida people, damn you have a lot of rules to follow you! Texas is very simple.
That's just it, we really don't! Everyone just thinks we do because of the incredibly confusing way the statute is written. It really needs to be updated.

Jose
Old 08-23-12, 12:42 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So my picture above stand correct..low I have my gun placed in my car
Old 08-23-12, 01:08 PM
Z06Boricua
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
So my picture above stand correct..low I have my gun placed in my car
Yep, that's totally fine as long as you have a CWFL since it's readily accessible but not in a snapped holster/pouch/box. I personally would put something over it to make it completely concealed. In my car, I usually have my backpack on the passenger seat. I have an unzippered empty pocket that I keep my holstered G19 in while driving if it's not on my hip. Just reach over, reach in, pull pistol out, and you're ready to rock.

Jose
Old 08-23-12, 01:29 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LaVaism
You are not lying on that one!!!! I even wrote them an e-mail and said I can save you 50% a year on DMV cost. Stop stamping the second plate!

Just waiting for them to respond back with "then we lose the money on the tickets"
Ha, i heard that! Awesome idea
Old 08-23-12, 10:29 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
Or they might just shoot you in the head, and pick up an extra weapon.

Losing the element of surprise, is a big tactical mistake IMO.
Lmao at tactical...gimmie a break 95 percent of people with guns have no idea of what tactical means except of call of duty. The element of surprise is always in favor of the aggressor not the guy defending themselves. But to each it's own....just protect yourself the best way you know how.
Old 08-23-12, 10:40 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Sorry guys, I know this is going off-topic, but I feel the need to correct this bit of misinformation. There is absolutely no "2 step" or "3 step" rule in the state of Florida. This is misinformation that has been spread around so much over the years that it has almost become "truth". The fact is, there is only one condition that must be met when carrying a firearm in your private conveyance in the state of Florida. Unfortunately, the way the statute is written leads to nothing but confusion.

Here is the bottom line... In Florida, if you possess a valid CWFL, you can have the firearm anywhere you want, whether on your body or near you, readily accessible. The only requirement is that it be concealed. You cannot drive with it on the dashboard in plain view, nor can you have it sitting on the seat next to you where someone could easily identify it as a firearm. As long as it's concealed from plain view, you're legal and good to go.

Without a CWFL, you can still carry a firearm in your vehicle, but it must meet one of two requirements... The firearm must be securely encased OR not readily accessible for immediate use. Placing the firearm in your center console right next to you is legal, as long as there is a lid that needs to be opened. The firearm can be unholstered or holstered, that doesn't matter because it already meets the securely encased criteria. Now if you want, you can put the firearm in a shoebox with lid on it on the passenger seat, and that meets the criteria for being securely encased. Also, placing the firearm in the glove box is enough to fulfill the criteria. There are no "steps" involved at all. You can have the firearm unholstered in the glove box and you're legal.

The problem is that people see "in a glove compartment, snapped in a holster" and they assume that it means "holstered inside of a glove box". The "or" conjunction here is key however. Gutmacher's book does a fantastic job of breaking this all down. Also one other thing... There is absolutely no distinction ANYWHERE in Florida firearm statutes between a loaded and unloaded firearm. They are considered to be the same in the eyes of the statutes, so assume all firearms are loaded. Hope this helps!

Jose

I dont see a correction, truth be told I just see you repeating what I had already said. I never said it had to be BOTH. I clearly wrote what securely encased entails. The one thing I find interesting is you say with a CCW you can have it however you want as long as it is concealed.
Old 08-23-12, 10:41 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

The problem is that most police officers don't really know the ins and outs of the laws they are sworn to protect, so they err on the side of caution. That said, you can go ahead and have 2,3 or 10 steps to get to your pistol if you want, but it's really not required.

Jose
And I know for a fact if you dont have a CCW it must be securely encased (2step)

Quick Reply: Weapon in Lexus