IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why no aftermarket Headlights for 2IS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 09:10 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no aftermarket Headlights for 2IS?

Our car has been on the market for 6+ years now and running for an extended 7th year which would have normaly been a full redesign year so why no aftermarket alternative head lights? i would like to have the option of buying already black housed lights at cost and a aftermarket 2011 LED DRL light would be much appreciated as well. So whats the deal?
Old 03-09-12, 10:26 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

They have the led lights OEM on Sewell I believe which can be installed on older 250's and 350's. Im actually thinking about getting them, I really like the led new 2011 headlights.
Old 03-09-12, 10:39 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I noticed most about aftermarket headlight buyers is that they want projector type headlight to replace their reflector type headlights. They also want LEDs. Now the IS has LEDs and always had projectors. They want to rid of the amber reflector. The IS' amber reflector is small and almost unnoticable. The aftermarket manufacturers could sell a slightly different headlight bulb arrangement with maybe different color schemes, but they probably thought it wouldnt be worth it.
In my opinion, the 2IS has wondefully designed headlights (aesthetically).
Old 03-09-12, 11:21 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evogt500
What I noticed most about aftermarket headlight buyers is that they want projector type headlight to replace their reflector type headlights. They also want LEDs. Now the IS has LEDs and always had projectors. They want to rid of the amber reflector. The IS' amber reflector is small and almost unnoticable. The aftermarket manufacturers could sell a slightly different headlight bulb arrangement with maybe different color schemes, but they probably thought it wouldnt be worth it.
In my opinion, the 2IS has wondefully designed headlights (aesthetically).
yeah they do look good but everyone is going crazy now that the 2011's are 1200 on sewell but to me that still too damn much for some headlights. As for the projector part it holds true for older model vehicles but if you run a search for newer 04+ audi's and bmw's with projectors already they still have aftermarket lights. I would love to get a pair of blackhoused aftermarket lights for $200 or even an led drl integrated pair for 300.
Old 03-09-12, 12:48 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mancebof
Our car has been on the market for 6+ years now and running for an extended 7th year which would have normaly been a full redesign year so why no aftermarket alternative head lights? i would like to have the option of buying already black housed lights at cost and a aftermarket 2011 LED DRL light would be much appreciated as well. So whats the deal?
Ive fooled around with "after market" headlights" for other vehicles and honestly bro its not worth it. the lexus projectors arent great, but the after markets are much worse as far as output goes. The tabs are easily broken also. If you dont want to go for the 11+ why not just buy a used set of OEM lights off ebay, retro some S2000 projectors in there, and paint the housings, or whatever you want. Output would be awesome, and you would have the dark housing
Old 03-09-12, 01:27 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Beause it not in demand. Most if not all of use rather buy oem quality headlamp than a cheap knock off. Bimmer guy have cheap after market head lamp cause they have to save there money for maintance hahaha...
Old 03-09-12, 01:47 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good thread always asked myself the same question, i think someone should come out with the LED or halo headlights with black housing options for the older models.
Old 03-09-12, 02:53 PM
Mancebof
Pole Position

+1
Originally Posted by juvi22003
Good thread always asked myself the same question, i think someone should come out with the LED or halo headlights with black housing options for the older models.
Just wondering why they dont have them. Im sure a lot of people would go for them as they did for the aftermarket led tails with the clear turn signals. Maybe our model just doesn't have a significant market share amongst models like the 3 series a4s and c class.
Old 03-09-12, 03:00 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a vendor on here that sells black housing along with custom LEDs anyway you want them. I think the black housing runs around $300 from them, I dont quite remember.

Other than that vendor, there aren't any other non-oem options really. I Think its this way because our headlights comes as one unit. Which makes them pretty expensive. In addition, lexus aftermarket has always been small.
Old 03-09-12, 03:15 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK
Ive fooled around with "after market" headlights" for other vehicles and honestly bro its not worth it. the lexus projectors arent great, but the after markets are much worse as far as output goes. The tabs are easily broken also. If you dont want to go for the 11+ why not just buy a used set of OEM lights off ebay, retro some S2000 projectors in there, and paint the housings, or whatever you want. Output would be awesome, and you would have the dark housing

Nailed it on the dot. I've seen plenty of aftermarket headlights and the output is absolutely terrible. This is exactly what I did to my headlights, aside from the purchasing of an additional set of headlights; I just put my car out of commission for a few weeks for the s2k retro.
Old 03-09-12, 11:00 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not only are the outputs terrible on the aftermarket ones (usually), but they also tend to allow moisture in, fade quickly and are made up of cheap materials to keep the selling price down.
Old 03-09-12, 11:48 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some aftermarket OEM replacement headlights are actually pretty decent. I bought ones off eBay thinking they were bad until I realized they came with clear projector lenses and my cut-off was sharper than a RX with OEM HIDs next to me on the street one day. My cut-off on the car in front of me was better than the fuzzy one of the RX next to me. Mine's halogen projectors too but I put an HID kit in.

I do wish there were more aftermarket parts in general for the 2IS. When I was looking to buy my first car, I was looking at an E90 3-Series and there's so much for that car, headlights, body kits, everything. There's just not much demand for these parts on the IS. Most aftermarket headlights are a bit rice to me, some look good though.
Old 03-09-12, 11:49 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Yes, aftermarket headlights are cheaply made like another poster said. Halos are overplayed and those CCFL ones are weak and can break due to vibrations and worst of all they are non-replaceable (unless you want to open up your headlight.

Vroomin350, Sorry what is a sig?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-10-12 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 02:50 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

$300 for black housing??? the spray can only costs $10 I just sold some last month, its so easy once you have the headlights open.

Originally Posted by edgeucated
There is a vendor on here that sells black housing along with custom LEDs anyway you want them. I think the black housing runs around $300 from them, I dont quite remember.

Other than that vendor, there aren't any other non-oem options really. I Think its this way because our headlights comes as one unit. Which makes them pretty expensive. In addition, lexus aftermarket has always been small.

Whoa lets not exaggerate on the halogens cutoff, I got some myself and with HID kit the output and cutoff sucks. I've been to a professional retrofitter and seen the RX330's lit up with the cutoff and there is no comparison except for s2k's of course

Originally Posted by chi123
Some aftermarket OEM replacement headlights are actually pretty decent. I bought ones off eBay thinking they were bad until I realized they came with clear projector lenses and my cut-off was sharper than a RX with OEM HIDs next to me on the street one day. My cut-off on the car in front of me was better than the fuzzy one of the RX next to me. Mine's halogen projectors too but I put an HID kit in.

I do wish there were more aftermarket parts in general for the 2IS. When I was looking to buy my first car, I was looking at an E90 3-Series and there's so much for that car, headlights, body kits, everything. There's just not much demand for these parts on the IS. Most aftermarket headlights are a bit rice to me, some look good though.