IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bringing my car in. Service or Not to Service?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 06:55 PM
slideland
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

way to make it seem even more like im poaching this community... i reitterate im only here for your help... never did i say ONLY DO IT at a dealership... check the first post... it says ANYONE mechanic can do them just preferably a dealer.. but hey... i work at one so there for you think im siding with them...

and every quote you used in there has alot of paraphrasing from your typing added on...

there is no way i asked WHEN are spark plugs due... i said HOW its DONE is not in your manual.. check your post.

if decarbs aren't true service existant, then why do we have toyota top engine solvent exist? and why do we have procedures for them?

so where do we get our information?..... corporate area... where do we put it in? via dealership system log in..dont like my answers to these people questions.. then just speak to lexus/area/blank they give us A general consesus to mileage intervals for every car.

BTW tis never says mileage on services or since im under the microscope... very RARELY...do they post mileage..... wanna know why?? cause this post is what you will see.. on every (except rare) car introduction.

GENERAL MAINTENANCE
1. GENERAL NOTES
Maintenance items may vary from country to country. Check the owner’s manual supplement in which
the maintenance schedule is shown.
Every service item in the periodic maintenance schedule must be performed.
Periodic maintenance service must be performed according to whichever interval in the periodic maintenance
schedule occurs first, the odometer reading (miles) or the time interval (months).
Maintenance service after the last period should be performed at the same interval as before unless
otherwise noted.
Failure to do even one item an cause the engine to run poorly and increase exhaust emissions.
2. WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID
Check that there is sufficient fluid in the tank.
3. ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL
Check that the coolant level is between the ”FULL” and ”LOW” lines on the see−through reservoir.
4. RADIATOR AND HOSES
(a) Check that the front of the radiator is clean and not blocked with leaves, dirt or bugs.
(2JZ−GE engine: See page CO−14 , 3UZ−FE engine: See page CO−14)
(b) Check the hoses for cracks, kinks, rot or loose connections.
5. BATTERY ELECTROLYTE LEVEL
Check that the electrolyte level of all battery cells is between the upper and lower level lines on the case.
6. BRAKE FLUID LEVEL
Check that the brake fluid levels are near the upper level line on the see−through reservoirs.
7. ENGINE DRIVE BELT
Check drive belt for fraying, cracks, wear or oiliness.
8. ENGINE OIL LEVEL
Check the level on the dipstick with the engine turned off.
9. POWER STEERING FLUID LEVEL
Check the level on the dipstick.
The level should be in the ”HOT” or ”COLD”range depending on the fluid temperature.
10. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL
(a) Park the vehicle on a level surface.
(b) With the engine idling and the parking brake applied, shift the selector into all positions from ”P” to ”L”,
and then shift into ”P” position.
(c) Pull out the dipstick and wipe off the fluid with a clean rag. Re−insert the dipstick and check that the
fluid level is in the HOT range.
(d) Do this check with the fluid at normal driving temperature (70 − 80°C, 158 − 176°F).
HINT:
Wait until the engine cools down (approx. 30 min.) before checking the fluid level after extended driving at
high speeds, in hot weather, in heavy traffic or pulling a trailer.
11. EXHAUST SYSTEM
If any change in the sound of the exhaust or smell of the exhaust fumes is noticed, have the cause located
and corrected.

but here is your rare exception...
1994 es300
1995 gs300
1994 ls400
etc etc etc

tell your friend to pull up on TIS those three first... bet he finds them fast pretty fast. they will show a NICE CHART with MILEAGE AND TIME
(cant link the pdf)

didnt really see mileage....either.. so since you are keeping tally who wins that tick???

and of course i agree with with my self... its me...(be crazy if i didnt..)
i said you are talking about a car that is bullet proof in terms of maybe they have an issue and they ignore it... but the vehicle runs fine to them..did you exclude that they may also be doing other services them selves??? like how many of them changed or replaced parts and didnt mention them doing some cleaning... and not putting credit where its due...?? to change an oil pump on most vehicles is a reseal 3/4 the motor... but people dont mention that they resealed the motor... just that the replaced it...see what i mean???

and of course im promoting my dealership (sarcasm) to all the world......no one really promotes big business.. im promoting PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE.

let me guess are you against power steering flushes??? brake flushes as often as we recommend it?? anything you like from the dealer??? rims maybe?

i dont like bashing and i rather not have you think im bashing BACK at you.. im defending a topic... and point...
we have drawn this longer than most threads should of gone now... and its embarrasing now cause we are on the internet and we represent communities. i simply and politely will step away from dragging this further.

customers may come to their own conclusions..
sorry for bad grammer ahead of time.
Old 02-15-13, 09:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slideland
way to make it seem even more like im poaching this community... i reitterate im only here for your help... never did i say ONLY DO IT at a dealership... check the first post... it says ANYONE mechanic can do them just preferably a dealer.. but hey... i work at one so there for you think im siding with them...
I think it's likely you were trained by the dealership to push profit-making services, even when they're not needed, yes.

I say that because you were telling us every Lexus needs a service that they clearly don't all need, certainly not routinely or across the whole vehicle line.

And because there's myriad stories on this forum and others of people being sold this and other services they don't really need by dealerships.

It's how they afford the free snacks and the bigscreen TVs in the waiting areas after all.

Not to suggest you're intentionally being deceptive, you might really believe what the service manager told you about this, but it's not supported by the facts.

there is no way i asked WHEN are spark plugs due... i said HOW its DONE is not in your manual.. check your post.
Check the one you were replying to.

The entire topic was about which services are needed as part of scheduled service.

Not HOW you physically do the service.

Spark plugs are listed in the manual. Every 60k miles.

Decarbonization is not listed at all.

Because the folks who built the car don't think you need that as routine/scheduled service.

if decarbs aren't true service existant, then why do we have toyota top engine solvent exist? and why do we have procedures for them?

Because as I mentioned, poorly maintained cars might well need the service.

That wasn't the original thing you said. You said ALL Lexus vehicles require it regularly.

Which isn't true.

It's something dealerships say to sell the service.

so where do we get our information?..... corporate area... where do we put it in? via dealership system log in..dont like my answers to these people questions.. then just speak to lexus/area/blank they give us A general consesus to mileage intervals for every car.
.... what?

I just asked you to provide me a corporate document that says the decarb service should be done as a regular/routine maintenance item.

That was what you claimed, now back it up.

I don't mean "Here is a note from my manager saying we should tell customers to buy these each visit"

I mean something from Lexus corporate to all service centers saying the car actually needs this service regularly.

Do you have something like that, or was that claim not true?

BTW tis never says mileage on services or since im under the microscope... very RARELY...do they post mileage..... wanna know why?? cause this post is what you will see.. on every (except rare) car introduction.

GENERAL MAINTENANCE
1. GENERAL NOTES
Maintenance items may vary from country to country. Check the owner’s manual supplement in which
the maintenance schedule is shown.
Every service item in the periodic maintenance schedule must be performed.
Periodic maintenance service must be performed according to whichever interval in the periodic maintenance

and the service you are saying is "needed" does not appear anywhere in that owners manual schedule.

You know, the owners manual schedule you initially mocked because it doesn't give a step by step on changing your plugs, but which you now admit TIS says is authoritative.

schedule occurs first, the odometer reading (miles) or the time interval (months).
Maintenance service after the last period should be performed at the same interval as before unless
otherwise noted.
Failure to do even one item an cause the engine to run poorly and increase exhaust emissions.
2. WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID
Check that there is sufficient fluid in the tank.
3. ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL
Check that the coolant level is between the ”FULL” and ”LOW” lines on the see−through reservoir.
4. RADIATOR AND HOSES
(a) Check that the front of the radiator is clean and not blocked with leaves, dirt or bugs.
(2JZ−GE engine: See page CO−14 , 3UZ−FE engine: See page CO−14)
(b) Check the hoses for cracks, kinks, rot or loose connections.
5. BATTERY ELECTROLYTE LEVEL
Check that the electrolyte level of all battery cells is between the upper and lower level lines on the case.
6. BRAKE FLUID LEVEL
Check that the brake fluid levels are near the upper level line on the see−through reservoirs.
7. ENGINE DRIVE BELT
Check drive belt for fraying, cracks, wear or oiliness.
8. ENGINE OIL LEVEL
Check the level on the dipstick with the engine turned off.
9. POWER STEERING FLUID LEVEL
Check the level on the dipstick.
The level should be in the ”HOT” or ”COLD”range depending on the fluid temperature.
10. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL
(a) Park the vehicle on a level surface.
(b) With the engine idling and the parking brake applied, shift the selector into all positions from ”P” to ”L”,
and then shift into ”P” position.
(c) Pull out the dipstick and wipe off the fluid with a clean rag. Re−insert the dipstick and check that the
fluid level is in the HOT range.
(d) Do this check with the fluid at normal driving temperature (70 − 80°C, 158 − 176°F).
HINT:
Wait until the engine cools down (approx. 30 min.) before checking the fluid level after extended driving at
high speeds, in hot weather, in heavy traffic or pulling a trailer.
11. EXHAUST SYSTEM
If any change in the sound of the exhaust or smell of the exhaust fumes is noticed, have the cause located
and corrected.
Huh. No mention of decarb service.

Probably because it is not a standard/scheduled/required service item

Mind you, two of the items you list can't even be done at all on the 2IS,

let me guess are you against power steering flushes???

Since doing one is physically impossible on the 2IS, yes, I'm against them.

Sold a lot of em have you?

brake flushes as often as we recommend it??
I change brake fluid every 2 year, because brake fluid absorbs water over time, even when not driven. There's a genuine, functional, reason to do this on all vehicles.

And unlike decarbonization, it's listed in the owners manual as a needed scheduled service.

i dont like bashing and i rather not have you think im bashing BACK at you.. im defending a topic... and point...
we have drawn this longer than most threads should of gone now... and its embarrasing now cause we are on the internet and we represent communities. i simply and politely will step away from dragging this further.

customers may come to their own conclusions..
sorry for bad grammer ahead of time.

Nothing personal intended, I simply find your advice, which was the following:

all lexus vehicles need a decarb periodically. they are included in services offered in scheduled maintence
to be untrue, and wanted to be clear to others who might see the thread that it's not true. Not all lexus vehicles need this service periodically, and the service is NOT listed in scheduled maintenance for any lexus model I'm aware of.

It might be a needed service on some vehicles (lexus or otherwise), especially ones poorly maintained. But it's not a routine service item, and it's not something all Lexus vehicles need on a regular basis.

the only things most Lexus vehicles need on a regular basis are the items listed in their owners manuals under scheduled service, just as your own quote from TIS tells us.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-15-13 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-16-13, 06:02 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BEARCATJER
I have tried to buy an air filter recently and all of the auto parts places say they are special order...not in stock. Does anyone use the metal type air filters which are never supposed to need replacing? They cost about $50 and with a non metal type costing at least $30 from my checking around i'm thinking of going to the metal type...i think it is called a K & N or K & K brand?
I just replaced my air fiiter for a K&N filter. I purchased mine from Amazon. It was less than 50 dollars. I drive an IS 250.
Old 02-16-13, 06:17 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

and the people who built these motors are the same people who brushed off 4 YEARS of customers complaining about paying for motors at 90k to 35k miles before it was a problem...
That is true. I know for me, and after getting bad service at some pretty shady mom and pop type garages, I just decided to make the investment of about $1500 a year for the oil changes, brake service, and other maintenance service I need from the high amount of miles I put on my car a year.

I think that when you go the same dealer, and they know you are a regular customer, at least in my experience, I never felt like the dealer was gouging me out of my hard earned money.

Also, even when I thought that I needed a particular service from what my maintenance guide said, my dealer would tell me that I didn't need that particular service done yet because either the fluids were still looking good, and my belts or whatever were still good.

We need to be mindful of the fact that those maintenance guides are there so that we can prevent our cars from breaking down. I rather have a running car than a car broken down and me needing to pay even a higher price for the repair.

Before I bought my 2009 IS 250, I had a 2000 Camry, and I drove her up to 240,000 miles before retiring her. The reason I was able to have that many miles on her was because I made the INVESTMENT to keep her serviced. I never had any mechanical problems with her. But once the dealer told me that my radiator had a crack in it and my alternator died on me at that 240,000 point. I decided that it was time to trade her in.

Last edited by Antredd; 02-16-13 at 06:22 PM.