IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bringing my car in. Service or Not to Service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 02:07 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing my car in. Service or Not to Service?

I'am currently at 68k miles, and I skipped my 60k service. I' am bringing my car into the dealership for the following issues: replacing spark plugs, replacing the windshield trim (Lexus agreed to replace the trim for no cost to me as long as I pay for the labor), the 'engine noise' upon crank came back so I want them to check it out for me, an oil change, and a new battery. I had the 'engine noise' fixed a yeah ago, and now it is back, so while they are inspecting the 'engine noise' I should be able to have them to replace my spark plugs to save on the labor... thanks Calvin lol. With all of services I want Lexus to complete, I still want to have my car 'officially' serviced as to adhere to the maintenance schedule. I missed the 60k mile service which they quoted me at $795, and the 70k mile service is around the corner in which I was quoted at $145. The only main service point in the 70k mile service that is in the 60k mile service is the 'measure thickness of pads'. Can I have them combine some of the inspections from both services into one, and just have them write it off as a 70k mile service? This is probably asking for too much, but I just want my car to continue to run like she should. Plus I noticed that they are a lot of service points in the 60k service that begin with "Inspect" that are not in the 65k, or 70k mile service, for instance, "Inspect axle shaft boots", "Inspect ball joints and dust covers", "Inspect drive belts and engine coolants", and many more. I guess I am trying to get the "Inspect" part done with the spark plugs as my 70k mile service. Of course I called my dealership, and they begin to bounce me around from rep to rep, so I will wait till Tuesday to talk to the manager.
Old 09-01-11, 02:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You're paying your dealer a lot of money to not actually do anything useful for you.

The only thing the car needs at 70k miles is an oil change. If you're paying more than $50 at 70k miles you're getting ripped off.

They'll be happy to do the exact same amount of actual useful work as the oil change, charge you $150, and label it "70k service" instead of an oil change though.

Likewise at 60k, apart from oil change and spark plugs, the only thing you actually need is a brake fluid change.

Never, ever, ask for the "x miles" service. They'll bump the cost 2-3x and not do anything more of use.

What a 2IS actually needs done for scheduled maintenance-

Every 5k miles- Oil change (it doesn't need it anywhere near this often, especially with synthetic, but going by the book here)

Every 15k- Check air/engine filters (you can change these yourself for free in about 5 minutes each if needed)

Every 30k- Change brake fluid, and change the air/cabin filters if you haven't yet.

Every 60k- Change spark plugs

Every 100k- Change coolant.

That's it

Anything else is the dealer selling you crap you don't need, or inspecting things that either don't need to be inspected (axle flange bolts or whatever) or would be glaringly obvious to them WHILE CHANGING THE OIL (leaking tranny or diff), or any shop will do for free (inspect brakes)

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-01-11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 02:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need those inspections. Simply put: they are BS ways to get your money.
If you don't believe me, look at your 70k service. You'll notice it will be just the oil and filter change, plus a bunch of inspections. Call your dealership and ask them how much the "70k service" is. Then call again another time and ask how much for just an oil and filter change. There's usually about a $50-75 difference for the BS inspections included in the "xx,000 mile service".

Since you skipped your 60k service, you can always just go into the dealership and ask them to do it now. They wont say no....But if your doing the spark plugs with the engine noise, then just have them do the oil & filter change, brake fluid flush, and change your cabin and engine filters (these filters are super easy to do yourself, and you can get the parts cheap). If i where you, i'd have them do just a brake fluid flush and the oil and oil filter. Buy the engine and cabin filter yourself and install them yourself.
Old 09-01-11, 02:49 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i took my car in last time for the (60000) oil change. I asked for the spark plugs to be changed, but my service manager said that the spark plugs don't need to be changed until 120,000 miles. so i just got a regular oil change. Although my engine is idling low at stop lights almost stalling.
Old 09-01-11, 03:27 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by badpinoy
when i took my car in last time for the (60000) oil change. I asked for the spark plugs to be changed, but my service manager said that the spark plugs don't need to be changed until 120,000 miles. so i just got a regular oil change. Although my engine is idling low at stop lights almost stalling.
tell them that and you can have the top engine clean. I did just that and bought my plugs through Sewell and an oil filter. Brought in My own Mobil 1 synthetic oil from Costco $36 plus one more from auto parts store. I paid $0...also did pedal and fuel pressure recalls. FREE!
Old 09-01-11, 05:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by badpinoy
*sigh*

Yet another dealer who doesn't know what his companys own manuals state.

It's 60,000. Says so right in your owners manual.
Old 09-01-11, 05:56 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Yeah this makes me wonder how many people on here are having car's improperly serviced according to the recommend service intervals
Old 09-01-11, 09:13 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by intellis
I'am currently at 68k miles, and I skipped my 60k service. I' am bringing my car into the dealership for the following issues: replacing spark plugs, replacing the windshield trim (Lexus agreed to replace the trim for no cost to me as long as I pay for the labor), the 'engine noise' upon crank came back so I want them to check it out for me, an oil change, and a new battery. I had the 'engine noise' fixed a yeah ago, and now it is back, so while they are inspecting the 'engine noise' I should be able to have them to replace my spark plugs to save on the labor... thanks Calvin lol. With all of services I want Lexus to complete, I still want to have my car 'officially' serviced as to adhere to the maintenance schedule. I missed the 60k mile service which they quoted me at $795, and the 70k mile service is around the corner in which I was quoted at $145. The only main service point in the 70k mile service that is in the 60k mile service is the 'measure thickness of pads'. Can I have them combine some of the inspections from both services into one, and just have them write it off as a 70k mile service? This is probably asking for too much, but I just want my car to continue to run like she should. Plus I noticed that they are a lot of service points in the 60k service that begin with "Inspect" that are not in the 65k, or 70k mile service, for instance, "Inspect axle shaft boots", "Inspect ball joints and dust covers", "Inspect drive belts and engine coolants", and many more. I guess I am trying to get the "Inspect" part done with the spark plugs as my 70k mile service. Of course I called my dealership, and they begin to bounce me around from rep to rep, so I will wait till Tuesday to talk to the manager.
Everything said above is correct, particularly Kurtz's comments (which I coincidentally just paraphrased on another post) on NEVER asking or paying for the __k service.

By the way, as to your concern; as noble as it is, your car is still being "officially serviced" by Lexus if you went in for your 30k service and asked for and received an oil change, brake fluid fluid, and filter change, and nothing else. You don't have to get gouged for the "$1000 30k SERVICE SPECIAL!" to have it on your record as keeping up with Lexus maintenance recommendations. Keep focused on the actionable important things (oil changes, fluid changes, etc) and ignore all the inspection BS that pads dealer profits. Never will you get into a situation where Lexus says "Well we want to cover this repair" or a potential buyer says "Well I'd really like to buy your car"....."but back at the 30k mile service you didn't pay for the dealer to inspect your axle shaft drive boot blinker fluid levels."
Old 09-01-11, 09:54 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You're paying your dealer a lot of money to not actually do anything useful for you.

The only thing the car needs at 70k miles is an oil change. If you're paying more than $50 at 70k miles you're getting ripped off.

They'll be happy to do the exact same amount of actual useful work as the oil change, charge you $150, and label it "70k service" instead of an oil change though.

Likewise at 60k, apart from oil change and spark plugs, the only thing you actually need is a brake fluid change.

Never, ever, ask for the "x miles" service. They'll bump the cost 2-3x and not do anything more of use.

What a 2IS actually needs done for scheduled maintenance-

Every 5k miles- Oil change (it doesn't need it anywhere near this often, especially with synthetic, but going by the book here)

Every 15k- Check air/engine filters (you can change these yourself for free in about 5 minutes each if needed)

Every 30k- Change brake fluid, and change the air/cabin filters if you haven't yet.

Every 60k- Change spark plugs

Every 100k- Change coolant.

That's it

Anything else is the dealer selling you crap you don't need, or inspecting things that either don't need to be inspected (axle flange bolts or whatever) or would be glaringly obvious to them WHILE CHANGING THE OIL (leaking tranny or diff), or any shop will do for free (inspect brakes)
Thanks. I read something similar in one of your previous posts, and I planned to do exactly that. I had my engine and cabin filters around 55k miles, so it may be time to do those again.

Originally Posted by Sffd103
tell them that and you can have the top engine clean. I did just that and bought my plugs through Sewell and an oil filter. Brought in My own Mobil 1 synthetic oil from Costco $36 plus one more from auto parts store. I paid $0...also did pedal and fuel pressure recalls. FREE!
"top engine clean", I will have to learn more about this. It sounds good.
Old 09-02-11, 05:44 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the 30k service doing the oil, oil filter, engine and cabin air filters, and wipers myself with $50 in parts from Sewell. I then had the dealer change the brake fluid for $106. They did an inspection anyway and went ahead and put foam insulation under my dash for rattles and replaced a malfunctioning sunroof motor (didn't know because I rarely use it) without asking me because it was all free under warranty. Very satisfied with my dealer experience at Lexus of Palm Beach (FL).
Old 09-02-11, 05:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by intellis

"top engine clean", I will have to learn more about this. It sounds good.
Doesn't apply to you though- you have a 350.

the 'free' top engine clean is for 250 owners to address the carbon buildup problem they get... 350s don't have the problem.

(and it doesn't fix it on 250s, it just makes it go away for another 30-50k miles)
Old 01-30-13, 09:18 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

My 2010 Rx350 now has about 54k miles and at the rate we are driving it we will get to 60k pretty quickly. I was thinking about the 60k service and recalling that when i had a 2002 RX300 abd beeded tge 90000 mile service I took the list of stuff they were going to do at the lexus dealer for $1400...4 years ago...to a local guy everyone recommended as capable and honest and he did every single thing on the list for $900 including a new timing chain, water pump, battery , all oses and belts etc!
I have never had my current RX350 to a lexus dealer..i go to a local guy who changes the oil, filter, checks the brakes etc and i do it evey 3000 miles...which i know is unnecessary,but worth the piece of mind to a non mechanical type like me. I just moved to a new area which does have a lexus dealer ,but i found a new local place highly recommended by my neighors so i am going to him for my "60000 mile service" for a ton less than i know my buddies at the dealership will want to charge me.

I have owned 5 lexuses over the last 20 years and have only had to go to a dealer for a problem on ONE. OCCASION IN ALL THOSE YEARS ..which is an amazing testament to the reliability of the Lexus brand and the main reason i continue to buy them. The coimments by highly experienced automotive minds on this forum really gives me the confidence to know i am doing the right thing in this approach. Since my current ride is now out of warranty i guess the point is moot,but i keep careful records on all maintenance i get on my car which i think is a key to preventing problems with lexus if you do have a problem.

thankis for all the helpful info and guidance i have received on this forum!

Last edited by BEARCATJER; 01-30-13 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-30-13, 05:05 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

read your book, goto an independent mech. just change oil, brtk fluid, plugs, pvc. less than 400 usd for sure.
Old 02-04-13, 12:39 PM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

CARLOS...good advice..thanks. i will do as you suggest. Just found an independent place which specializes in Lexus,
Old 02-04-13, 02:28 PM
slideland
Rookie

Whoa whoa whoa...if they dont want to do it at lexus is one thing but telling them to not do the service is another. Decarbs are for every lexus model. We get around 65% of Component failure because they skip services. Decarbs mainly. So aftermarket sure. But decarbs are all models.

Quick Reply: Bringing my car in. Service or Not to Service?