IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight issues...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 08:22 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight issues...need help!

So I just finished wiring my ballasts and relay for my retrofit. I'm having issues getting everything back to the start. The low beams work fine, although the left side flickers if my engine isn't on. I'm guessing it's due to the power draw from the ballast and my already-weak battery.

Both of my lowbeams (HID kit) and foglights (HID kit) are on relay harness connected to the battery. Everything worked fine before I removed my headlights to get them retrofitted. Now my foglights now wont turn on at all. I'm not sure what happened, see I'd most likely expect the lowbeams to not work, rather than the foglights. I disconnected the power cable to the left foglight (there's only one power cable, right?) when I removed the bumper, but I didn't toy with any of the previous wiring and plugs.

I did not mess with the foglight wiring. It's wired to turn on only when the lowbeams are on, and to turn off when the lowbeams are off.
I think it might have to do with me only connecting one power cable to the low beams (left side, I couldn't find the right side power cable, so I assumed my retrofitter removed it, but that just sounds weird. They are in East Coast time, so I won't get a response from them until tomorrow)

PS: I'll post a couple pictures later tonight with my phone, might have time to do a mini photoshoot this weekend...so keep a look out!

Last edited by kumquatism; 05-24-11 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-25-11, 02:49 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Update: I fixed the power cable issue by tapping the power cable from the right side.
I've played with the wiring of my foglights a ton. I tried removing the relay all together, and that didn't work at all. Tried swapping ballasts too. I'm starting to feel that my foglight issue is completely unrelated to my retrofit. It might be caused when I opened up the steering wheel airbag to install the steering damper, I might have touched something that I shouldn't have....It's impossible for me to tell now though. One of the stupid bolts that holds the airbag on the wheel got stripped because it was on too tightly when I tried to remove it, and now I cant access behind the airbag anymore.

Is there any way to remove that bolt now? I tried using a wrench and gripping the bolt, but there's just not enough room to grip and turn the bolt.

Here's some pictures of my retrofit. It actually looks much nicer in person. I have yet to align the headlights, so I have a two-step cutoff right now. And it's not actually crooked in person. My driveway is on a hill. The S2000 projectors do curve off at the tails though.

Old 05-25-11, 02:53 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

much better output than OEM one what projectors did you retrofit, and how hard to do that? did you retrofit from halogen or afs hid headlights?
Old 05-25-11, 02:59 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

S2000 projectors with TSX-R lens. Retrofitted halogen headlights. It was too time consuming and hard to do it on my own, so I had it professionally done.