Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

your ballast wattage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 05:43 PM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default your ballast wattage?

im running a 55watt ballast on my hi, low, and fogs.
i purchased them from ddmtuning.com since i put them on i noticed they flicker

when
-going off to on.
-on auto
-hi beam to low beam

the ddmtuning troubleshooting sections says this for flickering,

Intermittent firing
"If sometimes one side does not turn on or it takes multiple tries for the HIDs to turn on, you may have a power issue. We would recommend trying a wiring harness. This will allow you to wire the kit directly to the cars battery. Sometimes if you bump your fuse by 5amps that can help as well. If the problem stays with one particular side, we would recommend swapping the bulbs or ballast from left to right and see if the problem follows. If this is the case, you may have a bad bulb or ballast."
If both sides are flickering it can be caused by a few things. More than likely because the car can’t supply enough power to the ballasts on startup. You can check this by connecting the adapter cables on the bulbs to the battery with the bulb and ballast connected. If the kit fires up without any problems you will probably need a wiring harness.

If your car has Daytime Running Lights (DRL) if could be caused by the car quickly turning the lights on and off to give the effect that the halogen bulbs are running at half power. If the flickering is caused by the DRL you can try a wiring harness or have the DRL disabled (NOTE: disabling the DRL may not be legal in all areas, check with local laws before doing so). The flickering can also be caused by the car’s self-check system to see if there is a working halogen bulb connected. This can typically be corrected with the BOW3.

Has anyone had to do this any of this to their HID upgrade?? or is ddmtuning just not a good brand to go with for lexus'? anyways i got frustrated today and put stock bulbs back in =/
Old 08-24-11, 04:31 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why did you go with 55W? DDM kits are pretty good and a few of my friends use them and none have had problems. I can't really answer your questions but do all of the HIDs flicker? I'm trying to figure out how you're using HIDs for the DRLs. Also, I think the wattage could be a problem, most and almost all do 35W including me. I've never had problems with flickering except for when the bulbs and stuff are brand new and after using them for a while, the flickering goes away. I've tried my friend's DDM kit on my IS before, no problems at all. Try the 35W kits. Not sure what exactly is wrong but I'm thinking it's the wattage.
Old 08-26-11, 11:53 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow 55w on all. Output must be insane lol