IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help NO interior lights working

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 06:39 PM
tardorange
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help NO interior lights working

Hi I have 2006 IS350. I got some interior LEDs from my friend for my BMW but since I was driving the Lexus I wanted to test them out since both cars use bulb #194.

I was parked on the street and I took out the courtesy light (under the door) to test the new ones and the new ones worked. So I was putting the old ones in when all of a sudden a car from nowhere roars toward me in a panic I shut the door and crushed the courtesy light assembly. All the lights went out. None of my interior lights work (no dome lights, no foot pedal lights, no courtesy lights).

What did I do? Did I cause a fuse to blow? Did I just cause a electrical glitch? Since the old piece is crushed I need to get a new one and put stock bulbs back in and I will take the car back to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
Old 02-19-11, 06:44 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Check your fuses and you can order the post from sewells
Old 02-19-11, 06:45 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meangene
Check your fuses and you can order the post from sewells
Sorry on my phone meant *part (hate my swype keyboard)
Old 02-19-11, 06:55 PM
tardorange
Driver

How do I check fuse and how I know if its broken?
Old 02-19-11, 07:08 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

most likely a fuse, take a look a the owners manual, shows where the panels are located.
Old 02-19-11, 07:26 PM
tardorange
Driver

Does the car have extra fuses? The nearest lexus dealer is 14 miles away but with traffic and it being NYC it takes like hour and half. Will this bulb blow more fuses if I try it in other cars???
Old 02-19-11, 07:43 PM
tardorange
Driver

please help!
Old 02-20-11, 08:32 AM
tardorange
Driver

anyone ????
Old 02-20-11, 10:33 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Fuses are generic. You can bring it to autozone or any auto parts shop and they should have them. They might also have a tester to see if the fuses are working. Give them a call. And as a heads up, fuses are cheap. Like pennies cheap (though stores might mark them up to a buck or two). Hope that helps!

And if you just used an LED bulb...there's little to no chance of the bulb alone causing a blown fuse. If I remember currently, all the lights each have a 15 amp (+/- 5) fuse. Though I don't remember exactly. But given I bet the interior alone has at least a 10A fuse and the average LED uses .02A...you'd need at least 500 LED's to blow your fuse.

It was probably from you jamming the door so quick and shifted the bulb's connection or something along those lines. That and your specific fuse for the lighting was getting worn over the years.

Anyway, it's nothing serious at all. Just call a shop to see if they have that tool to test your fuses (honestly its this pen sizes thing with a needle on it and they just have to poke at your fuses) and thats it. To make it easier, look in your manual to see where that fuse is before you go there. If it's in the engine bay, you might want to take off your engine covers prior to arriving to speed things up. If I ever worked at a parts shop and I had to take off all your engine covers or wait for you to do so, I'd be somewhat aggravated (just helps everyone if you do so).

Good luck pal!
Old 02-20-11, 10:52 AM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by kuuqi
Fuses are generic. You can bring it to autozone or any auto parts shop and they should have them. They might also have a tester to see if the fuses are working. Give them a call. And as a heads up, fuses are cheap. Like pennies cheap (though stores might mark them up to a buck or two). Hope that helps!

And if you just used an LED bulb...there's little to no chance of the bulb alone causing a blown fuse. If I remember currently, all the lights each have a 15 amp (+/- 5) fuse. Though I don't remember exactly. But given I bet the interior alone has at least a 10A fuse and the average LED uses .02A...you'd need at least 500 LED's to blow your fuse.

It was probably from you jamming the door so quick and shifted the bulb's connection or something along those lines. That and your specific fuse for the lighting was getting worn over the years.

Anyway, it's nothing serious at all. Just call a shop to see if they have that tool to test your fuses (honestly its this pen sizes thing with a needle on it and they just have to poke at your fuses) and thats it. To make it easier, look in your manual to see where that fuse is before you go there. If it's in the engine bay, you might want to take off your engine covers prior to arriving to speed things up. If I ever worked at a parts shop and I had to take off all your engine covers or wait for you to do so, I'd be somewhat aggravated (just helps everyone if you do so).

Good luck pal!
Thanks . I will go sometime next week as the NE is getting ANOTHER snow storm . I was trying to get the LED bulb to fit snugly and it lit on and off 5-8 times due to the lack of space. That might have been another factor that caused the fuse to blow.