IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

15k service help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 06:07 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k service help.

okay guys, so i have to bring my car in for an oil change and i kno that the 15k mile service consists of an oil change, air filter change, and cabin filter change.

im not very handy when it comes to my ride so i was wondering, whats the BEST and cheapest way to go when havin the 15k mile service done to my car. i hear the 15k service charges over $300+ and in these economic times, i need some assistance.

please fill me in with all the info you guys can provide. ima noob.

i also did some research on this,
....takin my iS to a toyota dealer and having them do the 15k service, is that possible? for a cheaper price lets say? if so, how much cheaper?

thanks guys, in advance for sharing
Old 04-02-09, 07:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybuggy
okay guys, so i have to bring my car in for an oil change and i kno that the 15k mile service consists of an oil change, air filter change, and cabin filter change.

im not very handy when it comes to my ride so i was wondering, whats the BEST and cheapest way to go when havin the 15k mile service done to my car. i hear the 15k service charges over $300+ and in these economic times, i need some assistance.

please fill me in with all the info you guys can provide. ima noob.

i also did some research on this,
....takin my iS to a toyota dealer and having them do the 15k service, is that possible? for a cheaper price lets say? if so, how much cheaper?

thanks guys, in advance for sharing
Take it in for an oil change.

Change the filters yourself.

I'm not kidding when I say I could teach a monkey to change them in under an hour, and any literate human in under 20 minutes.
Old 04-02-09, 09:31 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

where can i buy the parts, air and cabin filters? lexus parts?
Old 04-02-09, 09:44 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with the parts department at your local dealership for the filters. Just ask for the engine air filter and cabin air filter. They'll ask what year and model so they can get you the right parts. One thing I do is I get the prices from Sewell Lexus (forum vendor sewellpartsonline.com) with the discount first and compare it the local dealership prices. Don't forget to factor in shipping...

One more thing, read the instructions when you're changing the cabin air filter. You need to make sure the vent is set to recirculate (double check the manual I forget if its recirculate or not) BEFORE you do anything. If you don't follow instructions you could break something... it's not cheap to fix either...
Old 04-03-09, 06:21 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went in for my 15000 service about 3 weeks ago and quoted me the same thing. It was $333 for oil change, air and cabin filter. Told them I only need the oil change and had my own oil. Everything turned out to be $32. I'm just shocked how changing the filters, which only takes 5-10 minutes, can add up to a $301 difference.

Not sure how your Toyota dealer is but my local dealer is....eh.... I went there to buy some new (or try to) wiper blade inserts and they said Toyota doesn't sell just the inserts anymore? So I asked them how much for the whole wiper blade then. They weren't sure of the size so they asked me to bring the blades in, fine. They looked at it for a few seconds and looked confused. Then they said, "Sir, these are rain-sensing wipers. We don't sell these here and you need to go to Lexus and to get them." I tried to not bust out laughing and explained to them they ARE NOT and rain-sensing is on the windshield itself. They didn't believe me and didn't wanna argue so I just walked out laughing. All in all, like everyone said, save your money and get oil change only.
Old 04-04-09, 12:24 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

thanks guys! so i guess ill buy the parts (engine air filter, cabin air filter) and look to the manual and change them myself? im guessin the manual should tell me how to change them no?
Old 04-04-09, 05:47 AM
LexusTexas
Rookie

I had been saving this link for when it came time to change my cabin filter, but they seem to have taken the pdf down. Any idea how to get it back up?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-change.html

I also read that irontoad.com has both filters for about $20 each. Another link also said they just run the cabin filter through the wash each time rather than buy a new one. Anyone tried that?