IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Purchased new IS and selling old car

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 07:02 AM
gcantu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased new IS and selling old car

What do I do if the buyer wants to use their mechanic to look at it? How do I turn the car over without anything in return? Do I drive it to their mechanic or loan it to them? I am worried that it can be a scam and never see the vehicle. How am I guaranteed that they will not mess with it? Has anyone ever been in this situation? How did you work it out?
Thanks,
George
Old 02-24-09, 07:09 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sure wouldn't loan it to them! Best bet is to agree on a neutral location, preferrably a certified Toyota/Lexus mechanic. Drive it to the buyer's mechanic as a last resort.
Old 02-24-09, 07:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gcantu
What do I do if the buyer wants to use their mechanic to look at it? How do I turn the car over without anything in return? Do I drive it to their mechanic or loan it to them? I am worried that it can be a scam and never see the vehicle. How am I guaranteed that they will not mess with it? Has anyone ever been in this situation? How did you work it out?
Thanks,
George

You have car insurance, right?

If they steal it then it saves you the trouble of selling it!

If you're really insanely paranoid though you can offer to bring it to their mechanic of choice and wait around while he checks it out.
Old 02-24-09, 07:25 AM
gcantu
Driver School Candidate

I haven't been asked, but I just didn't know what to do if the situation came up. I am not worried about the car failing their inspection becuase I know it's in good shape, I just don't know if they take it or I do. The only thing with me taking it is that it takes time out of my day to do it. I don't know if it's worth the trouble.
Old 02-24-09, 07:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't been asked, but I just didn't know what to do if the situation came up. I am not worried about the car failing their inspection becuase I know it's in good shape, I just don't know if they take it or I do. The only thing with me taking it is that it takes time out of my day to do it. I don't know if it's worth the trouble.
That's why so many people trade in...
Old 02-24-09, 12:00 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks,
George
the mechanic will say the car sucks and he will demand a discount. do like me take it to your mechanic.
Old 02-24-09, 12:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I'm not really sure what I would do. I've sold a few cars myself, and no one has asked to take my car without buying it first.

I guess, at the minimum, I'd want to accompany them to their mechanic and stay there while he inspects it.

Lou
Old 02-24-09, 01:20 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drive it to his machanic and see what he says then if he states something that doesn't sound right then got to a lexus dealer..
Old 02-24-09, 01:38 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Go with to their mechanic and like others have said if something sounds off take it to the certified used mechanics (the check out the car inspection will cost more but it will be more accurate).

You just never know what kind of obscure deal the guy has cut with his mechanic. I wouldn't be leaving my car with random person until I had money for it.
Old 02-24-09, 01:50 PM
Feirax
Driver

You could offer a buy-back option within 1 day if they take it to their mechanic and find issues. I've never done it, but that's the route a friend on mine went when he sold his last car. The buyer agreed bought the car and was never heard from again. GL
Old 02-24-09, 05:59 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i think that you should agree to take the vehicle to his mechanic, but also take all your maintenance agreements you have done with Lexus, now im sure he just wants to be safe, but he could be trying to **** you around and try to low ball you, if so then walk away...unless there is truly something wrong with the vehicle...
Old 02-24-09, 06:04 PM
Scott C
Driver School Candidate

This is very common in the Porsche and BMW community.
If I were selling the car, I would ask for a refundable deposit to make it worth your while. If he's really interested in buying the car, he will give you the money, get the Pre-Purchase Inspection and then complete the transaction provided the car is being sold as described.

I did this while selling a Porsche to a guy in TN. He made the deposit, I took it to a mechanic for the day and the buyer got the PPI report. If it were not as described, I would have sent his money back and saved him a trip to TX.

The report came back clean and there was ZERO negotiation on price...... It can work in your favor.
Old 02-24-09, 06:11 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on what kinda car it is, but I would probably just get their info dl #, ins policy # ect ect and give them the car. I'd even hope they try to steal it or total it; it would make my life as the seller much easier.
Old 02-24-09, 06:29 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For goodness sake, never turn your car over to an unknown third party on the premise of him doing an inspection. It is YOUR car and you need to keep custody of it. If a prospective owner wants it inspected offer to take it to a mutually agreed upon Lexus dealer at his cost. If it passes inspection you'll deduct the cost of the inspection upon his purchase, if he passes on the car you keep the money. Pretty simple. But I would never, ever give the car to him to take away for an inspection.
Old 02-24-09, 07:21 PM
Scott C
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
For goodness sake, never turn your car over to an unknown third party on the premise of him doing an inspection. It is YOUR car and you need to keep custody of it. If a prospective owner wants it inspected offer to take it to a mutually agreed upon Lexus dealer at his cost. If it passes inspection you'll deduct the cost of the inspection upon his purchase, if he passes on the car you keep the money. Pretty simple. But I would never, ever give the car to him to take away for an inspection.
I agree with the approach, however, I would add that the inspection is a sunk cost regardless of outcome. If the buyer requests it he needs to foot the bill.

Quick Reply: Purchased new IS and selling old car