Damaster32
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me too 1-2 suck then after that its all good
Old 03-17-09, 08:25 PM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

Went to pick it up and the shifter was so off. I mad the tech drive it and he agreed. The shift linkage was off and they had to keep it for another day to realign it. On the other hand the clutch was smooth as can be and bit right away. How it should of been from day one. Lets see how it turns out. I dont think lexus will ever attend to the problem because there is so few of us with the MT .
Old 03-17-09, 11:44 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motojoe
I dont think lexus will ever attend to the problem because there is so few of us with the MT .
I wish they did. There seems to be quite a few of us on here, but like you said, I don't think that's enough for them to do anything about it. I've said it over and over again, but I think all we need is a better clutch and a lightweight (or lighter at least) flywheel and the car would be perfect.

There was this guy over on my.is that supposedly made his own clutch, but he's disappeared ever since he said he finished it...

Originally Posted by TI-IS250MT @ my.IS
Originally Posted by TI-IS250MT
FYI: I am designing a new flywheel and clutch for my vehicle.. The dual mass flywheel will be replaced with an aluminum lightweight one peice and the clutch will be replaced with much stronger material and spring rates and larger diameter to utilize the full face of the pressure plate... I will be contacting the forum administrator once production nears for appropriate group buy and sponsorship compliance and see what the interest level is... Good bye lightweight crap clutch and noisy two piece flywheel.... So long crappy lexus customer service
Update: Moving along with the development of the lightweight flywheel and clutch. My 2007 IS250MT has been taken apart, transmission removed, exhaust mid section, drive shaft. Everything looks as new; the car has 24k miles on it. The clutch and flywheel are now being redeveloped. The stock setup is amazingly oversized and heavy. It weighed in at 58 lbs with the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel assembly. The stock setup has a dual mass flywheel with a lightweight under sized clutch and oversized Supra TT type pressure plate (almost identical). The flywheel is large in diameter and thick and heavy. We are looking to drop 20 pounds of rotational mass here. We are talking a second quicker maybe more in the 0-60. It will be a one piece flywheel now very similar to the supra TT. With a stage 3 dual dampened clutch capable of handling 500+ hp. It is very streetable and is dual mass so its very quiet and smooth but will hook right up. What we are doing here is literally reversing the setup. We are going from a dual mass flywheel to a single mass, and going from a lightweight clutch to a dual mass which means we maximize the weight loss and have minimum chatter with this clutch and provide a luxury sport feel the lexus should have. The flywheel makes most of the chatter noise on take off. The clutch is noisy and overheats because it is so lightweight. I feel like the spring rates are so low mine was literally slipping and could be heard audibly by flooring the car next to a wall. Anyways I will have the parts back in my vehicle in around 3 weeks so I will update you with the results. I am very excited.
I've clocked about 1,200 miles on the new clutch/flywheel setup so far. 700 of which were strictly freeway. The clutch is breaking in quite nicely. The car has gained what seems to be around a 10% increase in fuel economy. Pulls much harder on the freeway and all around; much quicker reving car now. Overall I'm pleased with the modification and the clutch feel and engagement are much improved. My 2nd gear crunch has almost completely gone away. As far as noise, the flywheel is now a one peice and I would say it is relatively as loud as the stock setup at idle. However it is much more healthy sounding, more like a 350Z sitting at idle in the cabin... The fluttering clicking sound off the line is greatly improved. I'm just going to clock some more miles and go back and give some feedback for slight tweaking before production. It feels real nice knowing I have the only solid clutch/flywheel setup in an IS250 manual around. Oh, and with this stage 3 clutch I feel like I can just launch and hook up so good at the light, you no longer feel like you're going to break the thing. Oh and 22 pounds of rotational mass was eliminated from the flywheel/clutch setup.
and here's the original thread: http://my.is/forums/f127/is250-manua...82/index6.html
I wish he followed through with everything, but he hasn't been on since sept. last year.

Last edited by GSE20MT; 03-17-09 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-18-09, 03:32 AM
dmocchi
Rookie

Dont think it's at issue of the driver or clutch per say but the ecu. I came to this conclusion after realizing that pehaps all the manual is 250's on start suffer from this 'shutter'. To alliviate the problem I find that shutting off the traction control and vsc help. If u wanna get rid of it all together simply rev your engine quicly to about 5000 ropm on start. Iswear by this method ...works everytime for me. Interestingly, even if the engine's warm upon start it may exhibit this vibration when shifting the early gears. This is what led me to beliee that it may be more than a simple 'linkage', 'wear and teat' or in general 'hardware' issue.
Old 03-18-09, 07:02 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by motojoe
On the other hand the clutch was smooth as can be and bit right away. How it should of been from day one. Lets see how it turns out. I dont think lexus will ever attend to the problem because there is so few of us with the MT .
I had my entire clutch assembly replaced under warranty, and it was awesome for about 300-400 miles. Then everything pretty much went back to "normal."
Old 03-18-09, 07:59 AM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

I really think its a bad clutch and when the clutch is getting repaired they are not replacing the flywheel, thus causing the new clutch to suffer as well...... Im going to ask today if the fly wheel was resurfaced. I have only driven this car for four days before it went to the shop. So to me its a new car and I have no idea what the first 25k miles were like
Old 03-18-09, 11:12 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

A new flywheel was on the parts list when I had my work done.

In any case, I hope that you are able to get your issues resolved.
Old 03-19-09, 01:02 AM
06LexIS
Driver

Wow, 26K and a new clutch???
My IS has 93K on the odo with the factory clutch still on there. I complained back in 06/07 about the shudder and marble nosies coming from the box at low speeds and Lexus did nothing.
I drive mostly highway but the bay area traffic sucks big time.

I've noticed that my car does the shuddering that your describing if I'm being lazy and ride the clutch longer then usual and keep your RPM's around 1200 and the launch is smooth for me.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-09, 01:54 AM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

holy **** 93k in just 2 years? where do you drive so much?

in any case, from what i've seen so far, it's not so much the clutch, but the flywheel that's been the cause of everything.
Old 03-19-09, 04:08 AM
06LexIS
Driver

Originally Posted by GSE20MT
holy **** 93k in just 2 years? where do you drive so much?
My goal is 200k before I let it roll down a cliff
I commute 70 miles one way 5 days a week and not counting my weekend milage.
So far the car is holding well.
Old 03-19-09, 05:43 AM
cyphur
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmocchi
Dont think it's at issue of the driver or clutch per say but the ecu. I came to this conclusion after realizing that pehaps all the manual is 250's on start suffer from this 'shutter'. To alliviate the problem I find that shutting off the traction control and vsc help. If u wanna get rid of it all together simply rev your engine quicly to about 5000 ropm on start. Iswear by this method ...works everytime for me. Interestingly, even if the engine's warm upon start it may exhibit this vibration when shifting the early gears. This is what led me to beliee that it may be more than a simple 'linkage', 'wear and teat' or in general 'hardware' issue.
I 've come to generally the same conclusion. If you turn off the electronic nannies the engagment of the clutch is much better in relation to the e-throttle and smoothness. It just sucks to have to disengage it before moving.
Old 03-19-09, 11:43 AM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

quick update... I picked up the car today and all the work was done. They replaced the whole clutch assembly. When I asked about the fly wheel they told me it was checked and it was dead straight. Also there were no heat spots. So it was not replaced. The car rides great. The pedal is so smooth and the bite is strong. NO SHUDDER at all. The job was all covered because I just bought the car so I lucked out. They took care of a lot of issues too. Im not going to lie it feels like a new car. I got some PM's about this and I will get back to you guys soon. I plan to put 100k on this clutch. I guess the previous owner couldnt drive or maybe in 25k ill have a problem too and we will know its the car and not driver error
Old 05-01-09, 06:38 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the shudder since I can remember. I recently had my clutch wear out @ 29k miles... not sure why, I don't drive it hard, and most of those miles are highway, as I've lived within a mile from work since the day I bought it.

Anyways, I had the F-sport clutch installed of the stock OE one... and it still shudders. Seems to actually be worse. Soooo... this isn't an issue with the clutch. You said they told you it wasn't the flywheel.

What's left?
Old 05-01-09, 08:47 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

you still get shuttering with the f sport clutch? damn, it is probably the heavy flywheel.
Old 01-19-16, 11:09 AM
Lukasz701
Driver School Candidate

hi guys, im re-opening this thread lol.

had my 2009 is250 since May 2015, bought from lexus dealership with 46000miles /75000km. 1 previous owner bought and maintained at the dealership with full service record.

so far car has held up really well, smooth, quiet, body is in mint condition for a Canadian car but the M/T is a piece of crap, pulls hard, no slipping, but the usual rattles and hard shifts into 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

doesn't happen often, but i find when i do alot of city driving or in heavy stop and go traffic where you are starting from slow role or dead stop, the car does a pretty violent shake when depressing the clutch. not a bunny hop, or stall, just a really harsh jerking and shaking which goes away when depressed and get under power.

find this happens when youre really working the clutch in traffic, maybe heat related? This cant be normal? this is my 4th manual car, and have never experienced this before, and def not driver error.