IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Financial Implications of a Trade-In

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 05:50 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
I don't find that there are "extra steps" involved with the NAV. If I want to change the temperature in the cabin, I use the up/down buttons near the NAV screen to adjust them. It's rare that I manually control fan speed or airflow source, which is what would take a single extra step.

For audio, there are buttons on the steering wheel to do almost anything you need to do, unless you frequently adjust bass/treble/mid, etc. If you're doing that on ANY stereo, you at least have to press a **** to get to that menu.

Re: the actual use of navigation, your Garmin unit will not mute the stereo and use the speakers in the car for directions. Your Garmin unit probably has a smaller screen as well. There are clear advantages of having the factory unit. The bluetooth also uses the factory speakers, and a mic built into the car. Aftermarket bluetooth phone systems suck.

So far I don't see what the huge burden is of having the NAV. I think it's fantastic, and frankly, the car was designed to have it. Just my opinion, but the dash looks thrown together without it - just doesn't look right.

Actually, the Garmin -will- use the factory speakers- it can use it via FM transmission, or it can use it via the AUX input, whichever you prefer. It has a microphone built in too. Displays caller ID on the nav screen, dials POis via bluetooth, lets you dial your phonebook from the nav, etc...

And a half dozen superior nav features the OEM system doesn't even offer. Realtime traffic, 3D building views, lane guidance, and much more.

It'll store audiobooks and play those too if you don't already have an ipod.

And it's $99-119 for the life of the unit to update maps. Lexus charges $300 per year to do it.

Plus you can take the garmin on trips by airplane to use in your rental. Try that with the OEM nav :P

Heck, if you -want- a big 7" screen Garmin'll even sell you one with that too, you can get aftermarket nav with a backup camera too.

Still for thousands less, with more features, than the 90s-era technology in the OEM unit.

The "huge burden" is the fact Lexus charges 10 times more for something does that only half as much.
Old 02-17-09, 06:22 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Actually, the Garmin -will- use the factory speakers- it can use it via FM transmission, or it can use it via the AUX input, whichever you prefer. It has a microphone built in too. Displays caller ID on the nav screen, dials POis via bluetooth, lets you dial your phonebook from the nav, etc...

And a half dozen superior nav features the OEM system doesn't even offer. Realtime traffic, 3D building views, lane guidance, and much more.

It'll store audiobooks and play those too if you don't already have an ipod.

And it's $99-119 for the life of the unit to update maps. Lexus charges $300 per year to do it.

Plus you can take the garmin on trips by airplane to use in your rental. Try that with the OEM nav :P

Heck, if you -want- a big 7" screen Garmin'll even sell you one with that too, you can get aftermarket nav with a backup camera too.

Still for thousands less, with more features, than the 90s-era technology in the OEM unit.

The "huge burden" is the fact Lexus charges 10 times more for something does that only half as much.
I agree, logically, the Garmin is a better value than the OE lexus Navigation by over 2500%. Map updates are cheaper, functionality is better, you can walk around with it... etc.

Hell, I bought a Sony 5" u94T for $100 on a supersale from Sony for my 3000GT. I wonder if it has an option audio output or microphone?.... Anyway

The only reason to have the OE Nav is... it just looks nicer, because its intergrated. That is definately not worth the hassle of trading in your car and leasing another one. You would probably be looking at a 5 digit difference(10K)

Last edited by tqlla3k; 02-17-09 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 06:29 PM
nukis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
I have the nav. its nice, but Garmin systems costing 75% less do much more. Speak street names. Traffic and weather updates. Double as an ipod to record music on the unit. And you can use them while driving, which is helpful. Also, in 3-5 years you can just chuck it and buy a new unit, probably with tons of features yet to be invented, and still be way ahead.

In retrospect, I dont know if i would get the factory NAV again. Aside from the $2600 initial investment, I have heard that if the unit breaks out of warranty it could set you back $7k to fix. Also, I did a quick kbb trade in value of 2 cars, nav vs. non-nav, and the trade in with the nav unit was only $500 more.

It is nice, i like having it, but if i could go back in time i would probably skip the Lexus nav, buy a 62" flat screen TV, a $500 Garmin, and still have over $1,000 in my pocket.

well said, I like that, I would do the same. Buy flat screen and Garmin and have thousand in my pocket.
Old 02-17-09, 08:23 PM
Sodeti
Rookie

Thank you all for putting things into perspective. Although I was not interested in trading in my car just to upgrade to one with a NAV, I finally have your comments to refer to (which provide sufficient proof for both sides of the argument), to keep me satisfied with my current non NAV car.

I think one thing that would be more helpful is to see your Garmin setups so that I, and others, can see how you have mounted the units...
Old 02-18-09, 03:33 AM
LexusLifer
Rookie

I can't tell you how incredibly helpful all of this insight was. I have the iPhone, but looking at a 2.5" map with no voice and having to constantly hold it up and see where I am became quite a hassle. I think I've concluded that putting myself in a negative equity situation just for the OEM nav doesn't make any sense. Like many of you have said, spending the $200-$300 for a Garmin seems to be the smartest route financially.

I think the idea of having a hi-res nav screen with the A/C, radio, iPod and DVD integration seemed enticing. Maybe next time.

Thanks again...
Old 02-18-09, 04:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
I don't find that there are "extra steps" involved with the NAV. If I want to change the temperature in the cabin, I use the up/down buttons near the NAV screen to adjust them. It's rare that I manually control fan speed or airflow source, which is what would take a single extra step.

For audio, there are buttons on the steering wheel to do almost anything you need to do, unless you frequently adjust bass/treble/mid, etc. If you're doing that on ANY stereo, you at least have to press a **** to get to that menu.

Re: the actual use of navigation, your Garmin unit will not mute the stereo and use the speakers in the car for directions. Your Garmin unit probably has a smaller screen as well. There are clear advantages of having the factory unit. The bluetooth also uses the factory speakers, and a mic built into the car. Aftermarket bluetooth phone systems suck.

So far I don't see what the huge burden is of having the NAV. I think it's fantastic, and frankly, the car was designed to have it. Just my opinion, but the dash looks thrown together without it - just doesn't look right.
I was looking at this last nite, and there's not necessarily extra steps. Sure--there's no 1-6 radio presets on the dash, so it's an extra step if you want to go directly to a particular preset.

But--if you want to change A/C mode from, say, blowing at your feet only, to blowing at feet and defrost vents, without nav, don't you have to press the "mode" button and cycle through the choices? With nav, you hit "Climate" and then directly select the mode on the screen. Plus, with the large screen, it's easier to see which mode you have selected, so you can take your eyes off the road for less time.

So, I'd say the argument that there are "extra steps" is really a red herring in the nav/no nav argument (which, by the way, will NEVER be resolved--except that it's not worth it to trade up just to get it).
Old 02-18-09, 06:48 AM
LexusLifer
Rookie

Originally Posted by tex2670
So, I'd say the argument that there are "extra steps" is really a red herring in the nav/no nav argument (which, by the way, will NEVER be resolved--except that it's not worth it to trade up just to get it).
Right. Everyone has their gripes with every piece of technology no matter how many people out there find it seamless and wonderful.

Glad my eyes have been opened. It's hard to see the truth when you really want something. Especially a nice toy for the car.