Speedometer calibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 07:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
My IS was off ~ 5mph and now my GS is the same....I tend to see a pattern here with 2 Lexus cars??? I recall there was something in CarChat on here about auto MFG and them have the odometer set too fast so the car was out of warranty before it should have been.

There has to be a way to correct this. If I recall correctly a car, any MFG, has to be off by 10 or more miles for them to have to recalibrate it. I personally have never had a car off by that much.
This doesn't mean anything. The odometer and the speedometer do not use the same calculation. They both receive the same signal, but each does it's own arithmetic. The only way to test the odometer is to travel a known distance and check your actual mileage against your indicated mileage. I've never seen more than a 2% variance on any Toyota I've owned as long as I had the stock diameter tires on the car. In fact, my Supra indicated 98 miles for 100 miles according to the mile markers on the Interstate the last time I checked it. Honda recently was successfully sued because their odometers showed more mileage than actually traveled.

Every manufacturer uses the tolerances NHTSA/DOT allows for speed indication. The can have +/- 3% by law. So, more often than not, they'll indicate 100 when you're actually going between 94 and 97. They do this intentionally so your gauges show you going faster than you are. It helps save you a little in the event of a speeding citation, and it saves them a lot if you sue them for getting a ticket because your speedo said 65 and you were really going 68. The only Toyota I've owned that didn't indicate slow was (again) my Supra. It was absolutely dead on with the stock tire size.

If you really want to know how far off your speedo is, just set your cruise control (spec'd at +/- 1 mph by Toyota) on a fairly flat stretch of road, and run a stop watch for about 10 miles. Do the arithmetic, and you'll see just how accurate your speedo really is. Typically, they indicate 3% faster than you are actually going.