IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

General Questions about modding your beast.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 01:36 AM
cardude420
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Questions about modding your beast.

w'sup folks.... I have some very simple questions:
1. I want to tint my car windows and wondering if 20% will look good or 35%? Where do I have to take my car to tint it? Can you suggest the best shops?

2. I am planning on adding some new wheels to my car, i.e. modding with some new rims.. I'm looking at Work and OZ. Now if I buy these wheels, say 18' inches then do I need to buy the tires as well? If yes, can you suggest me a few good ones? And one last question: do I have to take my car to a shop to replace my wheels? if yes, any recommendations and how long does this process usually takes?

let the moddin' beginnn
Old 07-25-08, 05:50 AM
JDub23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) I don't have tinted windows myself but seeing other cars with them, 20% looks better than 35%. However, you should check your local laws to see what the legal limit is. I know that 35% is the limit in my area. Also, I think that darker tints can make it more difficult to see out of at night. Maybe someone with 20% tint can chime in on that.

2) What size are your current rims? If you have 18s, you can use the same tires but it might have a stretched look depending on what size width you choose for your new rims. If you order just rims, you'll have to bring it to a shop to get the tires put on and they'll install it for you. If you order new rims and tires online, you can install it yourself or bring it to a shop. In terms of time, it all depends on if the place you order from has it in stock. I know for Work rims it takes 2-3 months for them to come in from when I was looking into them. Not sure about OZ.

Hope that helps a bit and happy modding!
Old 07-25-08, 05:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Cardude, please check out the FAQ at the top of this forum for the link to a large tint thread with pictures.

I suggest you also search the CL regional forums for your area to look for tint options. someone is likely to have asked exactly the same question.
Old 07-25-08, 09:57 AM
cardude420
Driver School Candidate

thanks DaveGS, I'll check 'em out. Some questions I have are pretty specific, like for example: If I have 17' inch wheels right now with OEM tires, then do I need to get new tires for my 18' inch wheels which I might buy from Work, OZ, Volk etc.
Old 07-25-08, 10:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by cardude420
thanks DaveGS, I'll check 'em out. Some questions I have are pretty specific, like for example: If I have 17' inch wheels right now with OEM tires, then do I need to get new tires for my 18' inch wheels which I might buy from Work, OZ, Volk etc.
You're asking if 17" tires will fit on 18" wheels? If so I can answer that pretty quickly. No.
Old 07-25-08, 01:57 PM
cardude420
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You're asking if 17" tires will fit on 18" wheels? If so I can answer that pretty quickly. No.
thats answers one of my questions, thanks. i think the other stuff I can find out by going over previous threads.
Old 07-25-08, 05:06 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i got 20% all around i think its perfect for my lighter color. But definitely checkout the regional forums for recs of local shops.
Old 07-25-08, 06:31 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

i have 35 all around for my tints, and i think they are very nice. They are dark from a distance, but as you get closer they get more transparent. 20's are of course darker, but most likely illegal. In my state 35 is the legal limit and well, to be honest getting pulled over for a tint would suck because my car usually smells like pot, and i would hate to have to rip them off because some cop was picky and wanted to fill his quota

as for the rims, yeah if you buy the rims you'll most likely need to buy tires to go on them, cant just run on the rims =p, unless you buy a tire/rim package, where they come together (i usually think these turn out to be cheaper than buying the rims and tires separate, adn then getting them mounted

back to the tints though, because i had a serious debate w/ myself over the 20s or 35s, and i am quite satisfied with the 35's. no one will be able to see into your car clearly, but will be able to see a basic silouhette of a person, but not enough to tell any details, which was something iw as looking for (hated people staring me down at lights and stuff, or in traffic etc.)
and, then theres the whole legality issue, which is big, who wants to be bothered by an annoying pig over something as lame as that
Old 07-25-08, 08:16 PM
cardude420
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scythe
i have 35 all around for my tints, and i think they are very nice. They are dark from a distance, but as you get closer they get more transparent. 20's are of course darker, but most likely illegal. In my state 35 is the legal limit and well, to be honest getting pulled over for a tint would suck because my car usually smells like pot, and i would hate to have to rip them off because some cop was picky and wanted to fill his quota

as for the rims, yeah if you buy the rims you'll most likely need to buy tires to go on them, cant just run on the rims =p, unless you buy a tire/rim package, where they come together (i usually think these turn out to be cheaper than buying the rims and tires separate, adn then getting them mounted

back to the tints though, because i had a serious debate w/ myself over the 20s or 35s, and i am quite satisfied with the 35's. no one will be able to see into your car clearly, but will be able to see a basic silouhette of a person, but not enough to tell any details, which was something iw as looking for (hated people staring me down at lights and stuff, or in traffic etc.)
and, then theres the whole legality issue, which is big, who wants to be bothered by an annoying pig over something as lame as that
thanks dude, i thought 35% meant more darker compared to 20%? am i missing something here...

okie dokie, i'll have to look into some good deals where i can buy both tires and wheels.
Old 07-25-08, 10:24 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

^^ no, tinting percentages is the amount of light allowed in through the window.. so 35% tint means that 35% of the light that hits the window goes through, and 20% means 20% of the light goes through (.. 80% blocked out).. so 20% would be darker than 35%
Old 07-25-08, 10:52 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're going to spend $$$ on rims, you might want to consider getting 19" or 20" rims to give your car a more unique look. Just my 0.02