IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sirius radio installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 02:09 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sirius radio installed!

:exactly what the title says. bought the radio fit kit and sirius tuner from sewell. I also purchased the shark fin adapter from vaistech so i could use the shark fin antenna as my sirius antenna and everything works great! id say it took me about an hour to install, since it was the first time removing the center console and radio. also i have the normal radio no nav.

anyways heres a quickie diy.

i use this link for directions on taking the radio out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=nav+hack

also a link from sewell that shows how they install the sirius tuner and antenna etc. but i didnt really follow it all. just looked at the diagram for connecting the wires. basically in a nut shell they want you to install the tuner underneath the passengar seat and cut a a hole in the carpet so you can place it underneath. i didnt like that idea at all.
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/import/pdf/01is.pdf

here is a picture of all the parts, but i put an X through the items i didnt use.

and another picture of the shark fin adapter cable from vaistech its about 12ft

first thing you want to do is find the sharkfin connection and attach the vaistech adapter to it. after that you can basically follow the cables that run back up through the wall. between the side of the back seat and you can neatly tuck the wire underneat the sills. heres a picture of what the sharkfin plug looks like

this picture is showing the adapter(white) plugged into the sharkfin connection and running back up into the car.

next thing i did was prepped the tuner. they gave you double sided tape and some padded tape. i double upped the padded table and than stuck the double sided tape on it. the reason i did this was to give the tuner some space between the top of the radio. That was where i decided to mount it since i do not have nav.

it fit perfectly on top of the rado and right between the plastic, but i made sure i had room on either side for the antenna connection and other connector, i also made sure the tuner slid all the one against the radio. so now there is a 1/4 inch gap between the tuner and rado to give it alittle breathing room.

after i just read the diagram that sewell had provided via internet and connected the cables.

the only issue i had was that radio fit kit wire was really long, because it was inteded to reach the passengar seat. for this i just rolled the extra wire up and than pressed the wire between my hands to make an oval shap and put it on top the sirius tuner. It was alittle snug when i slid the radio back in but it fit perfectly.
Old 04-10-08, 02:34 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

sirius!
Old 04-10-08, 02:37 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent post, roughly how much was the kit? I am going to go with Sirius and have been waiting till this kit was offered. Thanks for posting this elaborate thread.
Old 04-10-08, 03:03 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

what youll need from sewell
sirius tuner $200 - 15%
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=87759&all=Y

radio fitting kit $100 - 15%
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...l.asp?id=87765

the total from sewell with the discounts and shipping was about $260

shark fin adapter kit, its optional, but if you have the sharkfin attena id go this route, instead of having the sirius satellite atenna randomnly on your car.
http://www.vaistech.com/ $69 + shipping
Old 04-10-08, 06:26 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very, very nice post mate
Old 04-10-08, 07:08 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is there a 10 character limit?
Old 04-10-08, 09:38 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Excellent post!.

For those with nav mounting it above the radio won't work, no room there.

That Sirius unit looks thicker than the factory XM unit. Too bad the unit can't be mounted where the factory mounts the XM unit. DIY: 2007 ISX50 OEM XM Satellite Radio Install, Step 8 - Mounting the tuner
Old 04-11-08, 07:23 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice job man!
Old 04-11-08, 11:23 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write up. Wasn't aware that this was an option. Already have XM in my car and love it.
Old 04-11-08, 11:48 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

nice!!!!!! now i want Sirius! =P
Old 04-12-08, 10:04 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

yeah i wish i could of mounted the sirius where the xm goes.

thanks everyone for their comments!
Old 06-02-08, 12:44 PM
LexGS3
Driver

I bought my sirius tuner and radio fit kit from Sewell and installed it last Wed. I didn't want to install it under the passenger seat and cut the carpet so I mounted it in the trunk. I mounted it with the double sided tape that was supplied. I also bought the Vaistech sharkfin adapter which is the white cable in the picture.

Took me about 3 hours from start to finish including activating the tuner. Now that I've done it I would be able to do it much faster. Only hard part was getting the vents out without damaging them, I used a paint can opener tool that they give you at lowes/home depot. I read about using it somewhere on here. I used some blue painters tape on it to try and prevent any scratching if I slipped with it.

I ran the black sirius cable that connects to the back of the radio down the passenger side, and easily hid it under the door sills. Ran it into the trunk through the pre-existing hole behind the rear seats.