IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering is rough

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 01:47 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering is rough

I don't know if that's the right way to put it but have you notice that everytime you make a sharper turn (say for example a U-Turn), you can hear this grinding like sound. But regular turns at intersections and such are normal. It turns just fine, it's just the sharper the turn, the more sound it makes. What do you guys think about that? Or do any of you notice the same thing?
Old 02-19-07, 02:02 PM
lexem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean that you can hear grinding when you turn the wheel the whole way? If you turn the steering wheel all the way until you can't turn it anymore you will hear that sound. Every car I've ever had does it. If you let go just a little it won't do that. I think it's the power steering but I'm not an expert to say what it actually is.
If you don't have the steering wheel turned all the way until it stops, take it in.
Old 02-19-07, 02:07 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I'm not sure if it's even a grinding noise. It's really hard to explain the sound but it sounds like something rubbing on each other. It's perfect for the most part. Maybe it's just new and needs to be "loosened" up a bit. I try to make normal turns when I can and try not to turn the wheels to sharp to one side (unless I have to in U-Turns or in tight situations). Yeah, it makes the sound at the point where it can't turn anymore. Even when I loosen it up a bit, it still makes it until I straighten it out some more. I don't see any signs or rubbing anywhere at all. Must be internal.

I think what I'm going to do is to turn it sharper more often to see if it will eventually go away. It does have pretty responsive steering though, so that's nice of Lexus. Never was my Corolla ever like that.
Old 02-19-07, 02:20 PM
lexem
Pole Position

Well if you're not sure, take it to the dealer just so it doesn't cause problems down the road. I think what you might be talking about is the power steering pump or belt. Those item don't need "loosening up".
Old 02-19-07, 02:22 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I don't feel too much resistance to the turns though, which is funny. Maybe it's just in my head but I've owned like 4 cars in the past and none of them was like this one. It's not a loud sound, but when I get a chance I'll let the dealer know about it. Perhaps on my next service. I'm sure it can wait that long right? It drives just fine and nothing is loose.
Old 02-19-07, 03:24 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I have this "problem" as well. It's the tires rubbing against the wheel well. In all the other cars I have driven I haven't had this issue, but it's not a big deal.
Old 02-19-07, 03:31 PM
uthatch
Driver

I think I know what he's talking about. I believe it's just the low profile, performance tires.

I don't believe there is actually anything rubbing, I think it's just the friction of the tires on the road at an aggressive turn angle.

I have a house in PA in the countryside and one in Los Angeles. In LA, I do a lot more u-turns and tight maneuvers so I notice the sound much more. Back in PA (I have basically the same car there, but an '07), I can make the car make the sound, but I would not have noticed it without already knowing about it from my LA car.
Old 02-19-07, 03:41 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Ahhh, that could be it too. I thought about the wheels. You see, I never, ever had low profile wheels or any wheels bigger than 16" before. I believe you are right uthatch!!!!!! Because honestly, everything works great. So you think the sound will eventually go away as the tires are more worn into or it's just the way it is because of the more aggressive wheels?
Old 02-19-07, 03:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by lexem
I think what you might be talking about is the power steering pump or belt. Those item don't need "loosening up".
Not on the IS. We have electric power steering - no pump or belt.
Old 02-19-07, 04:46 PM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
Ahhh, that could be it too. I thought about the wheels. You see, I never, ever had low profile wheels or any wheels bigger than 16" before. I believe you are right uthatch!!!!!! Because honestly, everything works great. So you think the sound will eventually go away as the tires are more worn into or it's just the way it is because of the more aggressive wheels?

It doesn't seem to be going away on my '06 in LA (and my '07 only has 2000 miles). The car has about 9000 miles on it and if anything it might be getting a little worse as the tires wear.

I was thinking about switching to a less aggressive tire when it's time.
Old 02-19-07, 07:16 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I think it will be all right. I don't make fairly aggressive turns anyways most of the time. I have to admit, the steering response on these cars are incredible. I don't know why Edmunds or one other review gave the IS steering response an "isolated" feel.
Old 02-19-07, 09:15 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
I don't know why Edmunds or one other review gave the IS steering response an "isolated" feel.
I'm guessing your last car wasn't a BMW... (and not just because of your user name on CL)

The IS corners well, but steering feel is definitely a notch below the German competition.
Old 02-19-07, 09:26 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I've never owned a BMW or a Mercedes (although I've driven one for a short time), but that's not enough for me to notice.

Dang, there's so many cars for me to try out. I would like to think that the Lexus is the only car I would ever drive for a lifetime. I hear BMW's are very unreliable and have a lot of electrical problems. With a Mercedes, they are just top notch, but very expensive when it comes to maintenance and getting it serviced.