IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trunk Wouldn't Open

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 12:32 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Wouldn't Open

So I park my car for work and hit the trunk button from inside the car... The trunk opens I go get my gym bag out of the car and close the trunk, at this point I usually just walk to the front of the car and hit the button on the door handle because i'm headed in that direction anyways.... But not this time so i get my bag and just lock with my remote and all is normal and good.

So then as I get out of work I walk to my trunk and press and hold the trunk button on the trunk (Thats the way I usually open the trunk) but it didn't work this time... I tried it 3 different times before I had to use my remote to pop it open.. I put the bag in the trunk and walk to the front and the puddle lamps come and nothing seems out of the ordinary

I just thought it was odd because I usually lock the car by hitting the button on the handle and unlock the trunk my holding down the button on the trunk. Anyone know what it could have been?
Old 08-28-06, 12:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Did you check the trunk lock button in the glovebox?
Old 08-28-06, 12:52 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Did you check the trunk lock button in the glovebox?
I forgot to mention everything seems fine now... but no, i never touched the trunk lock button. I tried to recreate the problem again but everything is as if it never happened
Old 08-28-06, 12:55 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

something weird happened to me too...

I valet'd my car at a restaurant, and pushed the trunk button in the glove compartment, then locked the glove box with the key; and gave the attendant just the fob (w/o the key). So when I pick up my car, I go down to push the trunk release next to the steering wheel and it popped open!!!! I even check to make sure that the trunk button was turned off in the glove and it was!! luckily though all the valuables were in the glove box... but the trunk still opened. It might have been a glitch or something.
Old 08-28-06, 01:32 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CeoStatus0
So I park my car for work and hit the trunk button from inside the car... The trunk opens I go get my gym bag out of the car and close the trunk, at this point I usually just walk to the front of the car and hit the button on the door handle because i'm headed in that direction anyways.... But not this time so i get my bag and just lock with my remote and all is normal and good.

So then as I get out of work I walk to my trunk and press and hold the trunk button on the trunk (Thats the way I usually open the trunk) but it didn't work this time... I tried it 3 different times before I had to use my remote to pop it open.. I put the bag in the trunk and walk to the front and the puddle lamps come and nothing seems out of the ordinary

I just thought it was odd because I usually lock the car by hitting the button on the handle and unlock the trunk my holding down the button on the trunk. Anyone know what it could have been?
That happened to me one time a few weeks ago... It was the only time that ever happened. I have no idea what caused that but the trunk would not open using the button on the trunk.
Old 08-28-06, 04:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for whatever reason, the trunk sensitivity to detecting the key fob is not entirely the best. what you might have experienced is simply the trunk not letting you open the latch with the trunk button because it didn't know your key was nearby. i have been able to lock my key in the trunk because of sensitivity issues, so be careful. your battery or key fob might need to be replaced.
Old 08-29-06, 01:20 AM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
for whatever reason, the trunk sensitivity to detecting the key fob is not entirely the best. what you might have experienced is simply the trunk not letting you open the latch with the trunk button because it didn't know your key was nearby. i have been able to lock my key in the trunk because of sensitivity issues, so be careful. your battery or key fob might need to be replaced.
sensitivity issues seems like a reasonable excuse...but when you say battery.. are you talking the battery for the key fob or the car? HAHA you got me a little paranoid now... the car is barely a month old and I don't drive it everyday, plus i try not to use my fob to lock or unlock just so i can get the max out battery life in the fob ( Thats how we Chinese people do ) haha. I like hitting the button on the door handle anyways... not even sure if that would even make a difference in fob battery like anyways

I'm not to worried about it now since it seems like everything is alright.. but if it does happen again, i'm gonna bring in into the dealer for sure.
Old 08-29-06, 01:50 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

It happened to me b4 too.. sometimes the button doesnt work..
maybe the range on the remote doesnt work if the pocket is really low..
too low that its below the trunk line.. and is out of range?? maybe..
happened to me once.. but i got over it
Old 08-29-06, 05:58 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CeoStatus0
sensitivity issues seems like a reasonable excuse...but when you say battery.. are you talking the battery for the key fob or the car? HAHA you got me a little paranoid now... the car is barely a month old and I don't drive it everyday, plus i try not to use my fob to lock or unlock just so i can get the max out battery life in the fob ( Thats how we Chinese people do ) haha. I like hitting the button on the door handle anyways... not even sure if that would even make a difference in fob battery like anyways

I'm not to worried about it now since it seems like everything is alright.. but if it does happen again, i'm gonna bring in into the dealer for sure.
the battery in the key fob (not the car battery). even with my car, the trunk button is not 100%, maybe about 3 times over the past 9 months I press in the trunk button and nothing (even with the key in range)....I have to repress 2 or 3 times....could be the button itself.