IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will the IS become a tuner platform?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 10:52 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the IS become a tuner platform?

Hey guys,

I often see some cars that become popular with Tuners and aftermarket performance compainies, and wonder why. I also see some that i believe should have more aftermarket support.

Example... not much support for the Acura TL. I believe there should be.
Example.... To much support for the damn civic.

What do you guys think will happen here with the IS? I believe it should be embraced by the tuner community. I don't mean the ricer, slap 300 stickers on the car type. I mean Superchargers, turbo kits, Nice body kits, programable ECU's, suspension kits, and so forth.

Let me stress again that I don't believe any lexus should be in the same tuner category as a civic. Simply that I believe that the IS is a GREAT platform to start with. Imagine if there was FI support for the IS like there is for the G35...like 800hp for the IS

I can dream can't I?
Old 08-28-06, 11:22 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Let me stress again that I don't believe any lexus should be in the same tuner category as a civic. Simply that I believe that the IS is a GREAT platform to start with.
I'd say that the Civic is a better platform to start with, mainly because it's cheaper. A lot cheaper. That leaves significantly more money freed up to spend on 3-tiered spoilers, 5" suspension drops, and smoke-out headlamps. Most tuners don't care about RWD, and weight is the enemy, so I'd say that the IS probably isn't a very good platform for that crowd. The Civic is.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-28-06, 11:27 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

its supply and demand. more civic owners out there than tl owners, so more parts for civics. more 350z and g35 owners than tl or 2is, so more parts for them.
Old 08-28-06, 12:12 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Honda B and K series motors weren't just used in Civics, so much of the R&D applies to several other platforms (RSX, TSX, etc.). That generates much more incentive to the vendors. The same did NOT apply to the Honda S2000 (F series) or Prelude (H series), so they never got as much attention from aftermarket vendors. I would expect more development for the 2IS if Toyota uses the 2GR in more sporty platforms
Old 08-28-06, 12:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea the lude didnt get as much love from aftermarket
Old 08-28-06, 12:51 PM
tsitalon1
Rookie

I hope the IS get's love from the aftermarket performance companies. I will be saving for my turbo/SC kit as soon as I buy the car. As soon as the warranty is up, I will install it!

I think it's a great platform..sure a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

James
Old 08-28-06, 12:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I hope the IS get's love from the aftermarket performance companies. I will be saving for my turbo/SC kit as soon as I buy the car. As soon as the warranty is up, I will install it!

I think it's a great platform..sure a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

James
You're going to wait 6 years / 70K miles to install your turbo / SC?! :O
Old 08-28-06, 02:52 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uschardcor
its supply and demand. more civic owners out there than tl owners, so more parts for civics. more 350z and g35 owners than tl or 2is, so more parts for them.
Also, a much greater percentage of people driving the 2is are non "driving enthusiast", especially tuners.
Old 08-28-06, 03:03 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi and BMW have a huge market for aftermarket goodies. They are definately in a class of lexus if not higher. They are also heavy, but they perform amazing.
Old 08-28-06, 03:35 PM
div4our
Rookie

Imagine if there was FI support for the IS like there is for the G35...like 800hp for the IS

I can dream can't I?

sorry to burst your bubble but even with my built engine i had and Aps Twin Turbo kit on my g35 i was only making about 556 rwhp. I was only on 9 pounds of boost but thats because i live in az where the temp really kills engines. BUT, an 800 rwhp IS would be SIIIICK
Old 08-28-06, 03:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by div4our
... with my built engine i had and Aps Twin Turbo kit on my g35 i was only making about 556 rwhp ...
Cover your head in shame!
Old 08-28-06, 03:54 PM
div4our
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gernby
Cover your head in shame!

i did once the engine blew
Old 08-29-06, 06:52 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Originally Posted by div4our
sorry to burst your bubble but even with my built engine i had and Aps Twin Turbo kit on my g35 i was only making about 556 rwhp. I was only on 9 pounds of boost but thats because i live in az where the temp really kills engines. BUT, an 800 rwhp IS would be SIIIICK

I have a 500hp eclipse 4-cylinder... I know the G35 can achieve 800 Crank hp..just a matter of the right parts/tuning...

Not so sure on the IS with it's aluminum block and plastic components.

James
Old 08-29-06, 07:29 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
The Honda B and K series motors weren't just used in Civics, so much of the R&D applies to several other platforms (RSX, TSX, etc.). That generates much more incentive to the vendors. The same did NOT apply to the Honda S2000 (F series) or Prelude (H series), so they never got as much attention from aftermarket vendors. I would expect more development for the 2IS if Toyota uses the 2GR in more sporty platforms
I agree that the Prelude didn't get as much aftermarket support. However, the basics were all still there. Another reason for this is that the H22 is more strung out in stock form. The K20 in the RSX responded MUCH better to modifications for example.

However, I don't agree with you completely on the S2000. There are plenty of parts, especially from the japanese tuners.... i'm not counting companies here like APC and other crap.

I think we'll see the aftermarket grow for the 2IS, but it'll take a while longer than with a new honda/acura product for example. A manual transmission in the 350 would defitely spark more interest from the tuning crowd, and therefore aftermarket tuning companies.
Old 08-29-06, 08:51 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I agree that the Prelude didn't get as much aftermarket support. However, the basics were all still there. Another reason for this is that the H22 is more strung out in stock form. The K20 in the RSX responded MUCH better to modifications for example.

However, I don't agree with you completely on the S2000. There are plenty of parts, especially from the japanese tuners.... i'm not counting companies here like APC and other crap.

I think we'll see the aftermarket grow for the 2IS, but it'll take a while longer than with a new honda/acura product for example. A manual transmission in the 350 would defitely spark more interest from the tuning crowd, and therefore aftermarket tuning companies.
I know that there are aftermarket parts for the S2000, but there aren't many GOOD ones. The really great stuff was always put on the back burner by companies like Hondata because they always put their focus on the K Series. The S2000 has also been out for 7 years. I think there are way more aftermarket parts for the 2IS than there was for the S2000 in its 1st year of production.