Mark Levinson PROBLEM!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 11:48 PM
G2IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson PROBLEM!!

Hey Guys -

I've had my IS350 for about 3.5 months now, and my Sub has blown!! I took it to Lexus,and they are going to replace it for me since my car is still so new. But it seems rather odd that this happened so soon!!

OK - I DO turn up the bass, 2 or 3 notches past the middle, and sometimes turn the volume close to 40, never over. Is this REALLY too much for Mark Levinson??

Has anyone else had any problems?? Did I just get a bad Sub?? Or is it me?? I don't want this happening again...UGH!
Old 08-06-06, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

calm down calm down.... if it's a common problem, i am sure we will see report of this more and more. otherwise i would just consider this an independent event, nothing to panic about. just use your audio the same way you do (just not abuse it) after it's fixed. if it keeps on blowing and that your method of using it is fine, then i would worry about what's wrong with it
Old 08-07-06, 06:12 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the ML, but on my system, I think if I set the bass setting 3 settings above the
middle setting and then turned the volume up, there would probably be lots of distortion,
since our subwoofers are very low quality, (as Cmusic) stated.. That could of very well
caused the problem, If I were you I'd just keep the bass setting in the middle...
Old 08-07-06, 08:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i remember from a previous post that the epoxy/glue they use for the subwoofer wasnt strong enough and it just comes off. I suppose this can easily be remedied at manafacturing by using a stronger and maybe more epoxy/glue material. I recall from the OP of that thread he just went out and bought some stronger epoxy and it worked afterwards
Old 08-07-06, 08:22 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by G2IS
Hey Guys -

I've had my IS350 for about 3.5 months now, and my Sub has blown!! I took it to Lexus,and they are going to replace it for me since my car is still so new. But it seems rather odd that this happened so soon!!

OK - I DO turn up the bass, 2 or 3 notches past the middle, and sometimes turn the volume close to 40, never over. Is this REALLY too much for Mark Levinson??

Has anyone else had any problems?? Did I just get a bad Sub?? Or is it me?? I don't want this happening again...UGH!

I have been in a techno kick for some time and most of the time my ML is at 45 to 50 with no problems. Any chance you can ask them for a better one!
Old 08-07-06, 08:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G2IS
I've been driving the car like that for the past six months, and I've had no problems. I even have played movies with loud action sequences and have had no problems.

I do feel sometimes that I'm overworking the bass, but you gotta have it! Get it changed and see what happens. If it was blown, it may have been the wiring, not the ML system itself.
Old 08-07-06, 01:33 PM
MNguyen281
Driver School Candidate

is it possible to use the same OEM headunit but add an amp and replace the stock sub with a different one?
Old 08-07-06, 01:55 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MNguyen281
is it possible to use the same OEM headunit but add an amp and replace the stock sub with a different one?
Yes. Please do a search on this and you will turn up a few different things. Most are taping into the wires going to the factory sub and useing a stand alone amp and sub combo. You could mount any sub and amp you want tho. Just use the existing wires going to the factory sub if you have ML.
Old 08-07-06, 08:16 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=subwoofer

Here's the thread I wrote up when I blew my sub. There's another thread on how to remove the rear seats if you choose option 2.

There are two solutions you can choose from:
1) You can get it replaced since your car is still new and under warranty. Just schedule an appointment and the service dept will replace it for free. This does not guarantee it will blow again. Make sure you ask for the old sub, just in case you need to epoxy it.

or

2) You can remove the sub yourself, bring it to the dealer and ask them for warranty replacement. Fix your damage sub with epoxy. (I'm sure you'll do a cleaner job than I did.) Wait a few weeks for the new sub and sell it on ebay, keep it as a spare or give it to your buddy with the no-sub IS. By epoxing/gluing the damage sub you've made it "blow proof".

My sub has been abused since then with the bass hungry sounds of E40, Depeche Mode and some old time jazz. It's sounds just like new, but "blow proof"