IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer experience in Canada,...salesmen

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 11:11 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer experience in Canada,...salesmen

Just wanted to post my experience with a Lexus salesman I had in Canada.

I have leased nine Toyotas over the last seven years and have had excellent service from them. But this time I decided to try something new and test drove the Subaru Legacy GT Limited and Volvo S40 as I'm an AWD convert and have been driving AWDs for several years.
The Subaru GT was my choice, but...I attended the Lexus unveiling and fell in love with the IS350. I know it's not AWD, but what a car.

Anyway I test drove an IS250 AWD on Monday night this week to see if it would fit me and was prepared to purchase from the Lexus dealership, when my Toyota sales guy said that he could get the Lexus and give me a better deal and keep me as a customer.

So I get a phone call from the Lexus salesman (I won’t mention his name) today who tagged along for my test drive (unlike the other dealers I had been to) and was basically told what a bad person I was for taking away food from his family by staying with the Toyota dealership I have been with all these years and not purchasing the car from him! And that if I take a test drive from a dealership/sales person I am obligated to buy the car from them. WOW!

Next up was Lee at Subaru in Mississauga who called to see if I’d made a decision. I returned his call and we had a very pleasant conversation and told him that I would definitely keep him in mind if I were looking for another car.

Was I wrong to stay with my Toyota dealer, we have three Toyotas leased from them, I know the owner, sales manager and all the service guys on a first name basis. I don’t believe I made the wrong choice based on my experience with the Lexus salesman!
Old 10-22-05, 11:49 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You made the right choice to stay with the dealership/salespeople you are comfortable with. There are a lot of car salesmen that will pull the "you're stealing food from my plate" type-crap to try and guilt you into buying from them. Don't let it fool you. Personally I just shrug that type of thing off and move on - if someone wants my business they will treat me with respect, not like it's a competition and I am trying to cheat them..

(and pre-congrats on your upcoming purchase!)
Old 10-22-05, 11:58 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

... and you should take food out of your family's mouth by giving it to him when you could get a better deal somewhere else?

There are no moral obligations here. If he wants your business, he needs to compete for it. He should have thought about feeding his children when he failed to give you his best price.

If he has an issue with the circimstance, he should take that up with the Toyota dealer who will likely tell him to **** off.
Old 10-22-05, 01:27 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

That is unfortunate what happened to you. I would contact the general manager (top guy) and explain the situation. Ask if there is any way your trusted Toyota guy can "cross over" to sell you the Lexus. Sometimes they allow that if it's the same automotive group. The GM will be more than happy to oblige as you are buying a car and that the Toyota guy has done a good job of taking care of you over the years. If this isn't possible, then definately ask for another Lexus sales associate. Good luck.
Old 10-22-05, 03:19 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
That is unfortunate what happened to you. I would contact the general manager (top guy) and explain the situation. Ask if there is any way your trusted Toyota guy can "cross over" to sell you the Lexus. Sometimes they allow that if it's the same automotive group. The GM will be more than happy to oblige as you are buying a car and that the Toyota guy has done a good job of taking care of you over the years. If this isn't possible, then definately ask for another Lexus sales associate. Good luck.
I took your advice and spoke with the Lexus dealership owner today and the matter has been resolved. I will be meeting with him when my first scheduled service comes around.

Thanks for all your comments and support.