IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model
View Poll Results: Should I put blue painters tape on my car for the ride home?
YES! painters tape will save your paint by preventing chips!
57.14%
Yea, it will help but still wont prevent every rock from chipping paint.
28.57%
Ehh, only really good for preventing bug juice buildup :/
0%
Only if you want paint adhesive stuck on your paint.
14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Painters Tape Bra yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 04:27 PM
KPC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painters Tape Bra yes or no?

Alright so im up at college in Tallahasse and im driving back down to Miami/Ft.lauderdale area next week. On my way up here a !@#$^% dumptruck got in front of me and a rock flew out of the back of it and hit my newly painted hood!!! I quickly stopped at a rest station to check the damage. not good. rock took off all the clear coat and at least one layer of paint....anyway, I dont want this to happen anymore. There were also numerous chips from the "sandblast" type rocks..Will covering half my hood and my whole front bumper prevent this from happening..some people says it does and some say it doesnt...any input?..
Old 08-02-08, 07:54 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

yea.. if it was my car, i would put blue painters tape on my bumper, hood, mirrors and side fenders.... i only do this on long trips...
Old 08-03-08, 11:45 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you put the tape going back not side to side, or else you'll have to deal with it pealing on the way home LOL trust me I know!
Old 08-04-08, 07:03 AM
KPC
Pole Position

Cool Rain>!@#$

With living in Florida comes living with rain. Because it rains out of nowhere sometimes I was just curious if if drove through rain would the painters tape get all soggy and nasty on my hood and bumper and slide off?..or will it just get gooey and make a sticky mess everywhere?!..this is something I dont want to happen
Old 08-04-08, 07:08 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Just make sure you put the tape going back not side to side, or else you'll have to deal with it pealing on the way home LOL trust me I know!
Explain this lol.. So UP and DOWN is the way to go? I am doing this soon for a trip from NY to DC to VA and back to NY soon and dont want any more chips than i have already.
Old 08-04-08, 09:48 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

at a certain point the size of the rock will still damage your paint (lets hope that doesn't happen)

and you will look rediculous (if you care, i personally wouldn't if i were that concerned about my paint)

OTOH ... you could just drive around like normal and if/when the front looks too mashed up you can go for a respray (this is what i do, so far it's only been resprayed once and i have an 01)
Old 08-04-08, 11:04 AM
KPC
Pole Position

Default !?!?!?!

Yea thats fine if you have the money to just go for a respray....but i dont...i am willing to look rediculous to save my paint and a hundred or so dollars...if you ask me i think alot of poeple actually do this..and yea i think up and down seems better because the wind will not get under the tape as easily as if it were side to side...idk..ill post pics on thursday when i do it..
Old 08-04-08, 03:51 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KPC
Yea thats fine if you have the money to just go for a respray....but i dont...i am willing to look rediculous to save my paint and a hundred or so dollars...if you ask me i think alot of poeple actually do this..and yea i think up and down seems better because the wind will not get under the tape as easily as if it were side to side...idk..ill post pics on thursday when i do it..
K lol let me know which is better. I plan on doing this to my 2IS on my bday (8/13) for my vacation the next day.
Old 08-07-08, 03:04 PM
KPC
Pole Position

Default Just Finished Tape Bra!!

Hey guys, just finished putting obnoxiously blue tape on my car! I thought some of you would be interested: here are some pics! (srry for the bad quality..i took them with my phone )

Start from the middle of the hood..this will prevent the tape from peeling from the wind because of how it is layed.

You dont have to but I made the layers closer together as I got closer to the front of the car. My theory is that the tape will be thicker at the front and prevent more chips

Dont forget the mirrors!

FINAL PRODUCT!
hope u like
Old 08-08-08, 09:39 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

That's the way I did it.

You should tape part of the fenders as well.

I did this when I drove from San Fran to Las Vegas and back last in June.