Get full hood for clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 05:05 PM
cali_guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get full hood for clear bra?

Hello fellow CL members,

I have a question for the people that have a clear bra installed on their 2IS. Did you get the whole hood covered?
I am going to aerotech on Sunday for my clear bra install and wanted to know if the whole hood is really necessary. I am getting the full bumper, partial hood, side mirrors and fenders done. I called aerotech today and they said that since I have a white car doing half the hood will be fine but if I wanted the entire hood it would be another 200-300 or so.
So the real question is cost < benefit or cost > benefit.
Old 09-25-06, 05:13 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

I just got mine done today at Aero Tect. They did a wonderful job. For $495, I got the extended hood (more than 1/3 coverage but less than 1/2), full bumper, side mirrors, fenders, door edges and behind front door handles. I think extended hood should be fine....I don't get rock chips higer up. They even added the foglight overlay for free.
Old 09-25-06, 05:14 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

length *sin theta = height exposed..that's how much is being exposed if you assume horizontal travel of rocks...

also if you assume that rock is traveling horizontal and your hood is close to 0 degrees then you have sliding instead of direct impact of the rock... what i'm trying to say is... if you get a rock and try to skip it on a lake.. that's how your hood is being affected during impact.. now your bumper on the other hand... would be like getting a rock at throwing at a wall... you get full 100% impact...

personally for 300 more.. i'd rather get a new paint job~ = )

if you have the money and it worries you that much put it on~
Old 09-25-06, 06:23 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
I just got mine done today at Aero Tect. They did a wonderful job. For $495, I got the extended hood (more than 1/3 coverage but less than 1/2), full bumper, side mirrors, fenders, door edges and behind front door handles. I think extended hood should be fine....I don't get rock chips higer up. They even added the foglight overlay for free.

Great deal. Wish I lived in Cali.
Old 09-25-06, 06:39 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
wow for 495 you got all that? you got a great deal! what is involved with the "door edges?"
Old 09-25-06, 06:40 PM
tjp
Rookie

Mine has the plastic extending about 14". Like the post above you only need enough to protect you from rocks coming at you. I think anything more would be superfluous.
Old 09-25-06, 06:52 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

I splurged and went for the "full hood." even though it's not completely all around.. close though. The faint line is barely noticeable. I would recommend it if you aren't too tight with money... it'll look better, also it protects even more area.
Old 09-25-06, 08:03 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

sweet. I'm getting mine done at aerotect next Saturday!!!
Old 09-25-06, 08:31 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
wow for 495 you got all that? you got a great deal! what is involved with the "door edges?"

They did the two front door edges, the areas most vulnerable to ding/chip when door is open and hits an object (parked car, wall, pole).
Old 09-25-06, 08:34 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
sweet. I'm getting mine done at aerotect next Saturday!!!
They gave me 10% discount if appointment is on Monday or Tuesday if done before end of October (or maybe before October, I don't recall), but I got the 10% discount.
Old 09-25-06, 10:46 PM
cali_guy
Rookie

hehe cali_girl. I know u got it done today i was taking to aerotech and they said they were working on one as they speak. Hmm nice to here about the door edges looks like ill have to ask for that also. Aerotech is being really great about my appointment. they are opening sunday just to do my car but since it is not a monday or tuesday I wont be able to get the 10% discount. I am still undecided, is it possible to show me a picture with 1/3 coverage vs. full coverage? are the lines visible?

Thank you for all the responses
Old 09-26-06, 08:37 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Sorry to hijack,

I'm about to pickup my is350 soon and I am thinking about the clear bra.

Is there any chance of it fogging or becoming less clear over time, or through normal washing/waxing?

James
Old 09-26-06, 10:05 AM
jsteinwald
Rookie

I have a black IS350 and am getting the full hood done. Mine was done by Premier. They didn't have the film available to do the full hood, so they did a half hood in the mean time until they can come back down and do the full hood. I think on dark colored cars, the full hood is better because the line is more noticeable, especially on my black IS. I am particular about those things so I don't want the line to be visible. They did the full fenders and wrapped around the edges so there is nothing visible.

IF you aren't very particular about those sorts of things or you car is lighter (i.e. white), then a partial hood should be fine.
Old 09-26-06, 05:25 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

I'll take some pictures before sundown.
Old 09-26-06, 05:40 PM
cali_guy
Rookie

Talked to Aerotech today. I decided to go full hood and also changed my appointment to monday for the 10% off. I am taking a vacatiopn day from work to do this looks like the final biill is going to be $695 ( Full hood, full bumper, door handles, door edges, fenders, side mirrors, fog overlay, and of course aerotech quality install).

Quick Reply: Get full hood for clear bra?