Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RXh Failed Calif Smog Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 02:41 PM
GSRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my campaign notice today.

Its good news and also bad news. It notes that if I do not take the truck in the State of California will be notified. That is bad.

So more time waste over a programming issue that I reported to them and had corporate tell me it was my problem.

I was told that if I had my car service at the local dealership more often they would have considered my case for reimbursement for their programming failure.

There is a reason the I perform my own service.

This is our fourth Lexus that I have paid for. My first one had a faulty idle speed controller motor stick while under the guarantee period and the car would stall in intersections. The local dealer did not have the part in stock so they lubed it and had me come back after a week. A year later while still under guarantee it sticks again and the car again stalls while attempting to get on freeways from metered ramps again. Exactly a year later the car stalls again but now its supposedly on me.

At 100K miles I removed the intake manifold for routine service and found the idle speed control still attached with four screws that had been sealed with paint at the factory. I also found a single grain of sand lubed with oil hindering the movement of the stepper motor shaft. I took some digital photos of the remaining three screws. I thought that the paint may have remained on the screws but as soon as I touched the first one the paint flaked right off.

I have service invoices stating that the ISC had been removed and replaced 3 times by the Lexus dealer.

The part had NEVER BEEN TOUCHED other than having some WD40 shot at it.

From this experience I found out from Lexus corporate that I should have taken my RX for service there. Well I would rather change my own oil and actually see old oil drain out and physically put in a new filter than have someone say that they did when they did not.

I will continue to service my own vehicles but I did not appreciate the customer service I had with the corporate office. After a GS 450h, a RX400h, ES, and IS I wonder if I could receive a better experience with another brand.

Last edited by GSRX; 09-07-15 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 06:37 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

GSRX, which stealership did you get such wonderful service...Of course I want to support them not....
Old 10-19-15, 11:49 AM
volosong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
Are there any RX400h owners that have had a successful smog in California?
Mine passed this past August. Had it done at my local Toyota dealer when the car was in for an oil change. At the time, car had 192,000 miles on it. AWD version.