Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2014 GX460 Lexus Hitch Install.

Old 02-01-14, 07:50 PM   #1
Randy B
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default 2014 GX460 Lexus Hitch Install.

Today I installed the Lexus Hitch on my new GX460. I ordered the kit from Sewell Lexus. I also used the instructions that Sewell provides on their website for a guide on the install. The document number is PT228-60100.

The instructions are written well, however the diagrams are lacking slightly in their clarity. Pictures would have been better, even in Black and white.

Here my add ons to these instructions.
1) Read the instructions page by page at least twice to make sure you understand the different lengths in bolts and bolt sizes provided the kit.
2) When you open the kit, organize all the parts in the correct grouping of size and similarity. It will make it that much easier as you go along:
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf PT22860100.pdf (517.2 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Randy B; 02-01-14 at 08:00 PM..
Randy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-14, 07:51 PM   #2
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 2

3) You will need a small tool to remove plastic tab fasteners, roll of electrical tape, socket wrench with 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm. (I have air tools in the garage, so I used ratchets on the 17mm and 14mm, and 3/8 on the 12mm.)

4) First thing to do is lower the spare and get it out of the way completely. I was shocked and grateful to find not only a full size spare, but also a correct finished rim on the spare tire. Now I can work that spare into the tire rotation.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-14, 07:52 PM   #3
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 3

5) Page 2 of the instructions (FIG 1-1) shows the tow hook that must be removed. You will reuse the hook, however the two bolts that hold it in, will not be reused.
6) On the same page FIG 1-2, shows the air compressor housing cover that must be unclipped. It is located on the outside of the frame rail behind the driver’s side rear wheel. (see picture)
Attached Images

Last edited by Randy B; 02-02-14 at 08:49 AM..
Old 02-01-14, 07:53 PM   #4
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 4

7) Page 3 shows the factory installed harness mounted under the truck (1-4):
Attached Images

Old 02-01-14, 07:54 PM   #5
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 5

8) Here it is separated from the plug:
Attached Images

Old 02-01-14, 07:55 PM   #6
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 6

9) Figure 2-1 speaks of prep for the existing harness and figure 2-2 and 2-3 discuss how to handle it. Here are some color pics:

A) Harness with tape removed (Note the wire harness excess bundled up under the tape cover you removed):
Attached Images

Old 02-01-14, 07:56 PM   #7
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 7

B) After you complete 2A-E the harness will look like this:
Attached Images

Old 02-01-14, 07:57 PM   #8
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 8

10) Page 5 of the instruction sheet is very straightforward and easy to follow. Again remember to sort all the different length bolts ahead of time. It will save you from using the wrong ones in the wrong holes.
11) Figure 5-1 and 5-2 explain the final installation of the completed wiring harness. When you have completed the install of the harness it will look like this:
Attached Images

Old 02-01-14, 07:58 PM   #9
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 9

12) The balance of page 6&7 are easy to follow. Of special note is that the when you reassemble the air compressor cover, it will fit snugly and look out of alignment. The instruction sheet says as much as well, and that was reassuring enough to me, to believe I reassembled correctly.
13) The finished product looks like this:
Attached Images

Old 02-01-14, 07:58 PM   #10
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Part 10

14) Last note is the left over parts. This by design, not flaw. You will have the original harness mount, the two bolts that attached it to the cross member, and the two original bolts for the tow hook:
Attached Images

Old 02-01-14, 07:59 PM   #11
Randy B
Pole Position

Default Final

And that’s it. It took me just under ninety minutes on my back without jacking up the truck. I used a floor jack to balance one side of the hitch up against the frame while I lifted the other with my hands to get the bolts started. If I had to do this again, I’m quite sure it would be less than hour.

Of note, I am quite comfortable working on vehicles and have the air tools at the house. Pulling apart press clip fasteners is not exactly challenging for me. You be the judge, so you know when you are taking on too much of a job or not. If you are in Orlando and are completing this job, feel free to PM me and I’d be glad to drink your beer and supervise, ehh, I mean point out the highlights to ensure a smooth installation.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 02-02-14 at 07:24 AM..
Old 02-02-14, 07:07 AM   #12
rockydog
Rookie

Great write up. Did mine 2 years ago.

Love those wheels.
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 08:02 AM   #13
jbc247
Driver School Candidate

Great instructions!
jbc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 08:38 AM   #14
tecman
Lead Lap

I was shocked and grateful to find not only a full size spare, but also a correct finished rim on the spare tire. Now I can work that spare into the tire rotation.[/QUOTE]

My owners manual shows using the spare tire in the rotation.

Thanks for the detailed instructions Randy. I am sure this will help many now and in the future
Old 02-02-14, 11:15 AM   #15
Capirato
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to Capirato

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecman View Post

My owners manual shows using the spare tire in the rotation.
My 2 cents on Spare Tire Rotation. If you order Chromed Wheels, only four will be Chromed. If you do a Spare Tire Rotation, all your tires will wear out evenly. Problem is, if you want to change brands, you will have to buy 5 new Tires. Personally, I have them rotate front to back and always have a new spare, even though it may be a different brand.

~ Cap
'06 MINI S | Pepper White
Capirato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 11:15 AM