GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

To Buy or not to Buy.... BMW X5 or GX460

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 06:54 AM
mrpitbull
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Buy or not to Buy.... BMW X5 or GX460

I've been looking at the BMW X5 50i or just keeping my 2010 GX. Torn because the X5 has more performance but I've been a Lexus man for 14 years. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 11-13-11, 08:50 AM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

I was a Lexus man for 6 years having both a RX and a GX. Last year I traded my GX in for a BMW X5 48i. Just 2 weeks ago, I sold the X5 and bought a GX 460.

I swayed away from Lexus and learned my lesson..I will never leave again.

I realized that reliability was the most important thing to me having owned 2 Lexus's and never having any issues.

My X5 was constantly in the shop. Windshield leaked, engine was leaking, rattling noises, AC broke twice, gas sensors kept falling off, alarm would go off while i was driving...I could keep going on...

Hands down the X5 was the best driving vehicle I have owned. I was like a rocket ship and handled like a dream. I could make any move i wanted and feel confident about it. The BMW also has better technology IMHO.

Also, depending upon your needs, the X5 trunk is very small.

If the BMW was reliable I probably would have kept it but I drive 200 miles to work every week and couldn't depend on getting there without any issues...

Lexus customer service is much better and much more accommodating then BMW in my experience..but that could just be the dealerships I was working with.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck
Old 11-13-11, 09:45 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I second erickropp's coments above. I traded an E70 X5 (latest version) for my GX460 Premium. The X5 was in the shop at least once every 3 months. Lots of noise, squeaks, leaks, dead batteries, parking brake failures, even had to have the lifters replaced. The engine sounded like an old Diesel (mine was the gas version). When the warranty expired after 4 years it was gone. Too many problems, too many loner cars, too much time lost going back and forth to the dealer. I could not depend on the X5. I loved the looks of the X5 and loved the way it handled, but it was unreliable. Do a google search on E70 forum and check out some of the common problems reported by owners..
Old 11-13-11, 10:01 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you go look at the Cayenne?
Old 11-13-11, 06:14 PM
fuenfer
Rookie

Originally Posted by rockydog
The engine sounded like an old Diesel (mine was the gas version).
My 550i sedan also has a gasoline engine and sounds like an old diesel. I read somewhere that it's because of the direct fuel injection.
Old 11-13-11, 06:19 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a BMW technician and he said that there is no comparison between the X5 and the GX 460. The X5 has so many problems, from leaky sun roofs computer problems etc...He said X5's are very problematic.
Old 11-13-11, 07:37 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm,
And the BMW dealers cannot keep them in stock. They just fly out the shelves.
You probably need to check out the BMW forums and see what their thoughts are about the X5.
Thankyou.
Old 11-13-11, 07:40 PM
mrpitbull
Rookie

Thanks for all the response. I must say the X5 is nice and the X5M feels like your in an exotic sports car. But I don't want the problems mentioned. I've been a very loyal Lexus customer. The one thing I've noticed over the years is Lexus will not get into the horse power wars the Germans have started. But they will always lead the charge in customer support and tech options. Don't get me wrong, I love my GX. Could it have a little more pep absolutely. Just seeing if it was actually worth testing the waters.
Old 11-13-11, 07:54 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

go for the porsche. good reliablity and drivability
Old 11-13-11, 09:23 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
go for the porsche. good reliablity and drivability
You got a change of heart there for the Cayenne, eh T4Fun?
Old 11-14-11, 05:08 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are going to lease or keep the vehicle for two or three years, it really doesn’t matter what you get! When it comes to what vehicle to buy, you just need to look at what your needs are and the driving conditions you will be exposed too. Car like power and handling are not what I’m looking for in an SUV. I need a luxury truck that can go anywhere, gets decent mileage and (most important) is super reliable. So far, the only things I’ve had to do are, change the oil and rotate the tires. I’ve towed approx 5K miles so far and all I can say is the GX is one sweet SUV.

Koz
Old 11-14-11, 07:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I considered the X5 and really liked it when I went to the dealer to check them out. The technology of the truck including the nav system seemed better and you could have it built to your specs in about a month (according to the dealer) since they are built in South Carolina and it seemed like you could get a really good deal on them. The free maintenance for four years is also a big plus. However, as noted by the ex-X5 owners above, when I did more research online the reliability and other little issues scared me away. The GX, while not the most exciting SUV and having its own set of quirks, seems to be very reliable if that is what you are looking for. I know I don't feel like visiting my dealer often and have never had to leave any of my Lexus' overnight for anything in 10 years of owning them. If you are looking for a change, I really like the Cayenne S although they do get pricey when adding options.
Old 11-14-11, 02:40 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I traded my 2009 X5 Twin Turbo diesel for the GX 460. My X5 was a lemon and always in the shop. BMW had a problem shipping parts to fix my new vehicle. If you want reliability, purchase the GX 460. If you want something that is fun to drive, terrible in the snow and ice, has reliablility and durability problems, purchase the X5. I had a hard time finding a dealer that would trade for my X5. Most Lexus dealers were scared to trade for a BMW. I traded at a Lexus dealer that also owns a BMW dealership. Check engine lights, battery wouldn't keep a charge, Nav screen would go blank, that was just a few of the problems with my X5.
Old 11-14-11, 03:16 PM
Emilaman
Driver

German cars built in USA are horrible! I was born in Europe and we owned mercedes and bmw. No problems at all, non of my friends non of relatives had problems with this cars. Dont blame bmw or benz its just Americans cant build this cars.

So if you want most reliable car in the USA, buy Lexus. nissan, infinity, toyota ,honda are good cars but they started to use cheap materials to sale them cheaper. But only Lexus is on TOP.

PS. i own 2004 RX 330, 225K miles.
Old 11-14-11, 03:19 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I tried X5 and GL, I also spoke with many friends and friend mechanics about the German cars. No one had good things regarding the reliability. I decided to get the GX and we just put 500 miles on the truck and I am very happy with the truck. My wife is the main driver and she loves the way it drives.

Quick Reply: To Buy or not to Buy.... BMW X5 or GX460