GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

A/C compressor cycles on/off. Normal???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 07:44 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor cycles on/off. Normal???

I have just started noticing that when the A/C is on the A/C compressor clutch engages and disengages in about 30 second intervals.
Example: 30 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 30 senconds on and so forth. There is also a change in temp. from the vents as it cycles. This is all in manual mode too.

Does anybody elses GX do this?

I have talked to two different technitions at two different dealerships and both have said that it is normal and the clutch is an automatic type that will cycle itself on and off depending on the pressure in the system. I have never heard of a car that does this before, all the cars I have owned previously are either on or off, not both.

Can anybody confirm if their GX does this.

Also anybody heard of such a thing before?
Old 09-02-03, 10:08 PM
bgomez
Driver School Candidate

I have noticed this as well. Especially when it is really hot outside. Not the time I want to feel the heat pick up. Bill
Old 09-02-03, 10:11 PM
brent0226
Driver

Default Re: A/C compressor cycles on/off. Normal???

Ours does this in Auto mode too. Sometimes we'll be stopped at a light and you'll hear a click and the revs will drop about 100 for a few secs, then go back up 100 or so.

Also while driving, sometimes the A/C, even in Auto mode, will have random bursts of warm air that's slightly warmer than what it had been blowing.

We don't like the Auto A/C in the GX... it doesn't keep the temp at what we set it. We are always having to fiddle with the temp because it's always either too hot or too cold. Not like that on our other cars...
Old 09-02-03, 10:22 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: A/C compressor cycles on/off. Normal???

Originally posted by brent0226

Also while driving, sometimes the A/C, even in Auto mode, will have random bursts of warm air that's slightly warmer than what it had been blowing.

ours did it mostly when i bashed on the gas i'd notice i'd cut the ac
Old 09-03-03, 11:07 AM
cassiri
Driver School Candidate

Default A/C and other items

The A/C compressor short cycling is a known problem that Lexus is working on, per my dealerships technician.

Kash, what people at Lexus or the dealership did you deal with on your sell-back? I am looking at doing the same only for a different set of issues.

Thanks,
Old 09-03-03, 11:26 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed the same issue. We need to adjust the tempearature quite frequently as well.
Old 09-03-03, 12:44 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: A/C and other items

Originally posted by cassiri
The A/C compressor short cycling is a known problem that Lexus is working on, per my dealerships technician.

Kash, what people at Lexus or the dealership did you deal with on your sell-back? I am looking at doing the same only for a different set of issues.

Thanks,
Interesting. Would you be willing to mention what dealership this is? I would love to talk to this technician. As I have said before in my first post both technicians I have talked to (at two different dealerships) have said this is a normal function of this auto clutch system. One of us isn't getting a correct answer.
Old 07-17-18, 12:44 AM
PalmTreez
Driver School Candidate

----(SOLUTION) ----
My Lexus IS250 2007 did the same thing. My AC compressor was cycling on and off. It got hot outside 95F and it would only turn on a few seconds (about 5 sec) at 20 second intervals and would eventually stop cycling.

Solution (how i fixed the problem):
-when I checked my freon pressure was in the red.
-I recovered the freon from the low pressure valve.
-I did this until the compressor stayed on.

Hope this helps, too high pressure in the A/C lines (from it getting to hot outside) can cause the compressor to cycle.

Last edited by PalmTreez; 07-17-18 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Miss wrote steps
Old 07-17-18, 03:20 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

People will sometimes refill their refrigerant using one of the kits you can buy at AutoZone, etc. and the problem with them is there's no way to know exactly how much refrigerant to add. Modern A/C units are very sensitive to the quantity of refrigerant in them. Always take it a qualified shop to get refilled.

Chip H.
Old 07-17-18, 04:12 PM
BULLITT1
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PalmTreez
----(SOLUTION) ----
My Lexus IS250 2007 did the same thing. My AC compressor was cycling on and off. It got hot outside 95F and it would only turn on a few seconds (about 5 sec) at 20 second intervals and would eventually stop cycling.

Solution (how i fixed the problem):
-when I checked my freon pressure was in the red.
-I used a AC charge cord (one that you get from an auto store without the freon can attached) and I let out my freon from the low pressure valve.
-A lot of air came out and eventually i saw freon come out. I did this until the compressor stayed on.

Hope this helps, too high pressure in the A/C lines (from it getting to hot outside) can cause the compressor to cycle.

I wouldn't particularly state you let the freon out online, you should say recover. agencies tend to frown upon that practice, in some states its chargeable offense
Old 07-17-18, 05:02 PM
PalmTreez
Driver School Candidate

The next day when driving, my AC started to get progressively warmer and after 10 min it was blowing warm air. My compressor turned on for about 10 min then started to cycle again. I think there may be air in my lines from when I changed my alternator (may have bumped one of the lines ). Will update the post when I Find the "real" solution out. May have celebrated to early !

Does anyone know how to find leaks in the AC system ??