GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire replacement 08 GX question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 10:51 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Again, a PPI is much more thorough than a CPO inspection. Do whatever you want, we're just trying to help. $40K is alot to plop down on a 1st gen GX. I dont care if its CPO or not, I would personally pay the PPI.

When I sold my CTS-V before I bought my GX, the buyer had a PPI done and I can tell you they nick picked my car to death. A CPO inspection is just basic stuff...tires, wipers, windshield, blinkers, etc. and most of the time its the dealer youre buing it from thats doing the CPO. Of course they'll certifiy their own vehicle, because they know theyll be able to sell it for more money being a CPO vehicle.

PPI gets into leaks, noises, bushings etc. Just because something is leaking dont think Lexus will automatically replace it under warranty. Theres guys on these boards that will tell you that. They wont replace something unless its failing. If something is leaking its not always considered a "failure". Got to read the fine print.

Either way, good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old 04-28-12, 11:08 AM
dandg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can appreciate the need for a PPI in some cases for some people,but just don't see it and have not heard any example that would have changed my mind for this purchase.The water pump leak example ,used earlier or any other leak will show itself way before that 100 k miles and will not be an issue in the time I own it.I suspect I will have the car two maybe three years and will be covered. I have never had a problem with Lexus covering my repairs,even some non warranty ones (had them eat a brake job and 2 radiators that where out of warranty without much trouble),you just have to be polite but forceful if they resist and talk with the right person-not the service writer.
Old 04-29-12, 01:05 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get back to your original question, it is best practice to replace tires in a set of 4 for a 4WD vehicle, but replacing them per axle is better then replacing a single tire. Usually, when you see early tire replacement like this, IMO, it's either do to tire damage, where a tire warranty won't replace all 4, but rather just 2. Or, often this can also be due to a poor alignment which causes uneven tread wear when caught early enough it maybe acceptable just to replace the out of aligned axle.

It sounds like you already have gotten an alignment, I would ask to see the alignment results so you can ensure it's within acceptable tolerances. I find some CPO tolerances to be extremely forgiving (for the dealer). Another ask maybe for a new road force balance, this will ensure the performance of wheels (post alignment) is within expectations.

Keep in mind that the GX is a truck and rides like a truck. Even with tires out of balance or uneven tread wear, the difference in ride quality is minor. I would be more concerned with the known flaws uch as vibrations at highway speed, clunks from the drives shaft, cracked dashboard, stuck calipers and/or warped rotors.
Old 04-29-12, 02:42 PM
dandg
Driver

Thanks for the input, and thats pretty much what I have always thought that all 4 tires should be replaced at the same time with full time 4WD and AWD ,I have seen many cases of viscous couplings in t/case's being destroyed by the just two tire replacement (not in the GX's-in Jeep's and AWD Chry's) and wanted to know what Lexus recommended/required.
I suspect on this one it was a damaged tire at 15k that called for the pair to be replaced and,,now knowing that (I will of course check) all 4 are at the same 7/32's I feel better. I have checked the service records and see that it has been back to the dealer for each 5K service and then traded in there for a new one so I would bet they where at least happy with the dealer service enough to do more business.
I will see about that Hunter Road Force balance, I see they did use a "Hunter Computerized Alignment" during the CPO process.
The cracked dash I will check for (and if it happens during warranty I see most have been able to get it covered)warped rotors is part of the game I guess been down that road before.
I know they ,the GX's have their issues but my only other choice that I might look at is a X5's (with the 4.8V's) and they sure have theirs,so you have to drive something.

Thanks for all the input and help everyone.
Old 05-08-12, 11:52 AM
dandg
Driver

Looked it over real good ,took it for a long test drive and ended up buying it.Full CPO warranty, and for a good bit less then the offering price.
In addition the CPO had a .9 interest rate for 48 months-saved me $1000 over my already low rate offer from USAA. In the end it really saved me money going that route.
They are delivering it Thursday-no sales tax that way,looking forward to having second Lexus in the garage.

Thanks for all the help on the tire tread depth.If I ever find out what Lexus allows for tread depth difference I will post it.