GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Auto dimming driver-passenger mirror replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 10:47 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Auto dimming driver-passenger mirror replacement

My 2005 GX doesn't have auto dimming driver-passenger side mirrors. I was told this became available from 2007 model onwards.

Is there a way for me to replace 2005 mirrors with either 2007 or 2008 mirrors?. When I asked Lexus dealer parts department, they said it can't be done as it involves rewiring.

If Lexus mirrors are out of option, is there any after market duto dimming mirrors available?. I hate driving in the nights with full bright truck lights reflected on my face..
Old 10-24-07, 02:47 PM
thedon3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto dimming driver-passenger mirror replacement

I have a 2007 and that was not available at the time of purchase in 10/06. It would be intreseting if they offered it in later in the year. I drive at night alos, and hate the brigth lights b y truckers and car.
Old 10-25-07, 05:50 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealer's right. It would require rewiring, as well as possibly some more parts.

When I had the RX300 (before my GX) I decided to put in the interior auto dimming mirror (mine did not come with it). I bought the mirror on ebay (standard Lexus RX300 auto dimming - not aftermarket, ... yes, I'm cheap). I figured that the main harness was in place, that the only thing I had to do was to plug it in. Well, .... no. I soon discovered that there was no main harness to plug it into. Since the car had no auto dimming option, the harness was not installed in the factory. OK, improvise. I started playing with the mirror in the test bench setup using 12V regulated power supply, trying to get it to respond to light input. The results were .... surprising. The mirror would not respond to light changes, and either would be in the clear, or fully dimmed setting depending on the wire combinations I tried. The good news was - the compass was working! Well, I didn't buy the auto-dimming mirror for it's compass function!, ... right, back to drawing board. By analyzing the car wiring diagram, I realized that the interior mirror is also responsible for dimming the two exterior mirrors, which my car did not have. Once I discovered that, I needed to substitute something for the two exterior mirrors. I used two coils from the 1.5inch colling fans (pc 12v - I know, I know, but that's all I had handy). That made the mirror function perfectly. Traced some wires under the headliner, located switched circuit, and ground, connected the mirror, hid the coils in the headliner, worked perfect - never looked back ... well in the mirror yes :-)

The point is, that even if you get the new auto-dimming exterior mirrors, they will need to be controlled from the interior mirror. If the stock stand-alone interior auto-dimming mirror does not have the wires to control the dimming of the exterior mirrors, you would also need to replace that mirror as well. At which point you would have to test if it would work only with one exterior (assumption you want to put in only driver side), or would you need to replace both exterior to auto-dimming.

Wow, that came out longer than intended. I hope I make sense. It would be nice to get someone from the dealer techs to comment.

Good luck.

Last edited by gsobol; 10-25-07 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-25-07, 05:52 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

For sure it is available in 2008 models. It is on Lexus.com. However, my local dealer said that it became available from 2007 onwards.

Is there any after market mirror available with auto dimming feature?. I wonder why not much response to this thread..... looks like many are happy the way it works without being dimmed !!!!
Old 10-25-07, 07:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Satiger, you are right, the side mirrors never bother me enough for me to change it.
Old 10-25-07, 10:11 AM
HoboGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thedon3
I have a 2007 and that was not available at the time of purchase in 10/06. It would be intreseting if they offered it in later in the year. I drive at night alos, and hate the brigth lights b y truckers and car.
I just change lanes
Old 10-25-07, 11:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How about tinting the front windows
Old 04-07-09, 09:57 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
For sure it is available in 2008 models. It is on Lexus.com. However, my local dealer said that it became available from 2007 onwards.
According to the Lexus.com website. This is available on the 2006 model year. Can anyone verify? I sold my Nissan Murano due to this, and a few other, reasons.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/GX/2006.html
Old 04-07-09, 08:47 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDLexus
According to the Lexus.com website. This is available on the 2006 model year. Can anyone verify? I sold my Nissan Murano due to this, and a few other, reasons.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/GX/2006.html
"Power Mirrors Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror and outside mirrors"

I definitely have the auto-dimming inside rear-view mirror and I'm loving it. Never paid close enough attention to notice if the outside mirrors have that as well. But if they don't, it does not bother me to the point that I would want to swap them.

What does bother me is that my 4Runner does NOT have heated mirrors!!!

Satiger, if you decide to go ahead and swap out the mirrors, let me know, I'll be interested in buying your stock ones.

Last edited by snhrph; 04-07-09 at 08:51 PM.