GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Coastaletech Navigation/Bluetooth Override for 2007 GX-470

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 06:46 AM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed answer!

Regards,
Can

Originally Posted by Gblock1
Yes. It is do it yourself and plug 'n play, but insofar as saying it is easy.... well that's a whole other matter.

In my case, I would say it is easy. But I am familiar with taking apart the front console from my last GX-470. It is actually pretty easy, but you have to get up enough nerve to feel comfortable pulling the panels off. They do come off very easy, but there is a bit of hesitation when you first pull because the pieces that contain the air ducts are on very tight (make no mistake about that) and you hesitate, because you don't want to break any of the plastic. These are the mahogony looking type plastic pieces that are on both sides of the Nav system that contain the air conditioning ducts. It's the removal of those two pieces that causes a chill to go up your spine before you give it that very gentle and careful final pull. Once you are beyond that, the rest of the job is pretty much a piece of cake. The very first panel that you need to pull (dark grey in my case) snaps off very easy.
It just prys off with a very thin flat blade knife or screwdriver. There is a thread elsewhere in the forum that does show a detail by detail pictorial diagram of how to do this that is very useful.

The other area you need to get to is very easy to work with. It is under the passenger seat. You simply snap off the two plastic pieces that hold the carpet down by the frame of the seat, and then you can easily lift up the carpet that is already slit to get to the dvd player power cord. This is where the Lockpick Basic is installed.

Ok... let me just clarify one other thing. Since you are talking about getting the Ultimate Lockpick 3 + this comes as two units (plus audio and video cables if needed, which I did not use) The two units are the Ultimate Lockpick 3+ and the Basic Lockpick. They actually look very similar to each other except for the connectors on the harness assembly of each of the units. Don't worry because you can't mix them up as the connectors will only fit in the intended spot for them to be installed. The Ultimate Lockpick 3+ is installed behind the navigation screen as a plug 'n play item. The Basic Lockpick is installed under the passenger seat as I mention above... also as plug 'n play.

Gblock1
Old 08-03-07, 10:59 AM
stormj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cannga
Thank you for the very helpful reply.
Installation is strictly do-it-yourself and easy? Do I need to take panels or seats off or anything like that? I am "handy" but not an expert. Thanks again.
Though I haven't installed the Ultimate Lockpick, I did install a satellite radio unit, which involved removing the head unit. It took under an hour, and involved a putty knife, a cloth, and a ratchet with an extended 10mm piece.

Regarding the basic lockpick -- it couldn't be easier. You simply pull back the carpet in front of the passenger seat, unplug the only cable that fits in the female end of the lockpick, and plug the male end back into the nav unit, and put the carpet back. Start the car, let the nav load, then turn it off, and turn it back on and you're a go.

I've noticed that it doesn't always press "I Agree" for you, but I have yet to see it fail to override destination input.
Old 08-04-07, 06:27 AM
Gblock1
Driver School Candidate

I've noticed that it doesn't always press "I Agree" for you, but I have yet to see it fail to override destination input.
It depends how quickly you shift to go into reverse or drive when you 1st start up your car. If you start car and wait a few seconds before shifting, I have found that it always activates the "I agree" button.

Gblock1
Old 08-06-07, 03:33 PM
stormj
Driver School Candidate

It depends how quickly you shift to go into reverse or drive when you 1st start up your car. If you start car and wait a few seconds before shifting, I have found that it always activates the "I agree" button.

Gblock1
Me too. I have had no problems with the destination. Happy so far.
Old 08-07-07, 09:57 AM
ahc21ahc
Rookie

Does address unblock also unblock points of interest and other ways to input destinations?

I'm thinking about getting the basic lockpick3 (the ultimate doesn't seem to be all that more useful - I have rear DVD, and I don't think ultimate works with rear DVD).
Old 08-09-07, 02:59 PM
Gblock1
Driver School Candidate

Yes.

It lets you do everything that you could do as if the car were stopped.

Gblock1
Old 09-13-07, 09:59 AM
vanduse1
Driver School Candidate

Default Lockpick 2007 IS

I wish they had the Lockpick for the 2007 IS. I have asked multiple times and they never have an ETA.
Old 10-09-07, 07:43 AM
rikrok
Driver School Candidate

Gblock1,
Does this allow the DVD to play in motion?
Old 11-04-07, 03:23 PM
spirolli
Driver School Candidate

I installed the LOCKPICK 3 BASIC edition this afternoon. It took me about 30 seconds to get it installed onto the unit under the Driver's Seat as indicated in the directions. When I completed the install and started the truck, there was no difference except the radio didn't play. I started to get nervous when I decided to check under the passenger seat. Sure enough, the DVD unit was/is located under the passenger seat. I had the LOCKPICK 3 BASIC plugged into the sound system amplifier sitting under the drivers seat. I quickly reversed the installation and everything came back up just fine.

So far so good. I like that I don't need to select "I Agree" any longer and the real feature is I can now enter a new destination while in motion.
Old 11-27-07, 04:49 PM
Garunner
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 GX and lockpick basic

I just installed the Lockpick3 Basic on my 2008 GX and was amazed by how easy it was. It works exactly as promised, allowing me to use the nav system while driving. (It doesn't effect bluetooth though.) I had emailed Coastaletech before placing my order to see which product would work on my GX and they replied pretty quickly that only the basic would work.

The nav system unit on the 2008 model is directly under the passenger seat - you just have to pull the velcro'd carpet back and then you plug the lockpick in as instructed. As others have said, the whole thing takes 30 seconds. Then when you start up the car again the nav dvd takes about 20 seconds to reload (you'll see a message on the map screen while it does this) and you're done. To "unlock" the nav system while driving all you have to do is briefly touch the pushpin symbol in the upper left corner of the destination screen and you can then use the nav system like you could before only when stopped. You have to touch the pushpin symbol each time you want to use the system while moving, but that's so easy it's hardly worth mentioning.

Well worth the $100 in my opinion!

Last edited by Garunner; 11-27-07 at 04:50 PM. Reason: correction to lockpick model
Old 11-27-07, 07:03 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

That's exactly why I started this thread...., to clear up questions like this. The answer is that my car is exactly like yours. The cd changer is in the glove compartment. I too was confused by their own statement (which is very unclear) but decided to take a chance on it. So it does work with the 2007 GX-470, Mark Levinson with the cd changer in the glove compartment.

Coastaletech needs to take a lesson on marketing, clear instructions for installation (which needs to be posted at their website for potential customers) and most of all customer support. If they did that, I am quite sure their sales would increase substantially because questions like this should be dealt with very clearly at their website and they are not. Because of this, many people such as yourself are discouraged from buying their product, and rightfully so. Good luck and let us know how you make out if you decide to go for it.

Gblock1
Gblock1 or anyone who has installed the Ultimate Lockpick 3+,
My new 2007 GX470 has the below options that either came with the SUV or installed by the dealer at the time or purchase:

1. Mark Levinson Stereo
2. Navigation System
3. Bluetooth Phone
4. 6 CD/DVD Changer in glove box
5. Dual Headrest DVD players that are in no way connected to
the DVD changer, stereo, or navigation system

I have 3 questions about my setup.

1. Will the Ultimate Lockpick 3+ work to where my passenger will be able to enter addresses, dial phone numbers, and watch movies on the navigation LCD, while the vehicle is in motion?

2. Is it possible to feed the video and audio from the 6 CD/DVD changer to one of the headrest DVD players? My wife and I would like to have the flexibility to start a movie or change the movie that my son is watching in the headrest from the front seat while the car is in motion. I am not sure from the chart what is meant by “enable video/audio inputs”. If it means that the navigation system or changer now has the capability to receive video/audio from an alternative source than this is no good for me. I want the changer or navigation system to be the source for the headrest DVD player. The dual headrests both have auxiliary A/V input ports for game, MP3, etc.

3. Since I did not get the rear DVD player with monitor from the ceiling, would my 2007 SUV come prewired with wires in the console that I could use?

If there is no solution for the 2nd or 3rd question I can live with it, but I hope that the Ultimate Lockpick 3+ is the answer to my 1st question.

Thanks,
Dsmiles1
Old 12-07-07, 08:21 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dsmiles1
Gblock1 or anyone who has installed the Ultimate Lockpick 3+,
My new 2007 GX470 has the below options that either came with the SUV or installed by the dealer at the time or purchase:

1. Mark Levinson Stereo
2. Navigation System
3. Bluetooth Phone
4. 6 CD/DVD Changer in glove box
5. Dual Headrest DVD players that are in no way connected to
the DVD changer, stereo, or navigation system

I have 3 questions about my setup.

1. Will the Ultimate Lockpick 3+ work to where my passenger will be able to enter addresses, dial phone numbers, and watch movies on the navigation LCD, while the vehicle is in motion?

2. Is it possible to feed the video and audio from the 6 CD/DVD changer to one of the headrest DVD players? My wife and I would like to have the flexibility to start a movie or change the movie that my son is watching in the headrest from the front seat while the car is in motion. I am not sure from the chart what is meant by “enable video/audio inputs”. If it means that the navigation system or changer now has the capability to receive video/audio from an alternative source than this is no good for me. I want the changer or navigation system to be the source for the headrest DVD player. The dual headrests both have auxiliary A/V input ports for game, MP3, etc.

3. Since I did not get the rear DVD player with monitor from the ceiling, would my 2007 SUV come prewired with wires in the console that I could use?

If there is no solution for the 2nd or 3rd question I can live with it, but I hope that the Ultimate Lockpick 3+ is the answer to my 1st question.

Thanks,
Dsmiles1

Can anyone answer my questions or have Gblock1 contact info?
Old 12-16-07, 06:54 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dsmiles1
Can anyone answer my questions or have Gblock1 contact info?
I am still hoping that someone will reply.

Thanks,
Dsmiles1
Old 01-10-08, 04:23 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

I installed the Basic Lockpick 3 in my 2007 GX470. I can now enter addresses while car is in motion. I did not hear back from anyone if Lockpick 3+ would work with my car so I did the DVD/Bluetooth mod to get the other features I wanted while driving the car. See the below link if you want details.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=87880&page=14

Dsmiles
Old 08-03-13, 12:28 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered the ultimate lockpick 3+ for my 07 GX on August 1 and coastaletech emailed me back that they refund my money due to this particular kit is no longer available. I called and spoke with Alan and he said that there will be a new kit maybe sometime early 2014. They are working on a newer version since the cost to make the current kit for Toyota/Lexus are expensive to make for few models. With the newer kit that they are trying to make basically will be compatible with most Toyota/Lexus models so the cost of manufacturing will be lower for them. Now I don't know whether to wait for their new kit or find a different company. Based on my research Coastaletech ultimate kit 3+ is like the only kit that is truly plug n play which I like plus it basically unlocked all features that I want like watching DVD, full navigation access and Bluetooth while driving.

Quick Reply: Coastaletech Navigation/Bluetooth Override for 2007 GX-470