GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Override and Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 01:37 PM
Chris98vob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have been told about their general business practices I don't trust them on a return. I think I have a simple answer to the question.

My changer unit has "DVD" written on the face. If you look at the front of yours do you see that? If not, then that is probably why it works and mine won't. Would you mind looking?

Chris
Old 05-20-07, 01:55 PM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't blame my attention to detail, but yes, I must correct myself. My changer does have the DCD/CD emblem on it. I inserted a CD for disc one and DVD for disc two. When I selected the Audio button on the steering wheel, I scrolled to the DVD screen. The changer properly deciphered the discs appropriately (CD an DVD). I palyed disc on (CD) and it played fine. I selected disc two (DVD) and it played the audio but no visual. I tried both in park, with e-brake on and off, and driving. No joy. I noticed that the lockpick system did create a seperate DVD window (when pressing audio button on steering wheel and scrolling FM1, FM2, AM, DVD, DVD Changer). This is from the harness that was supplied with the kit (the rca inputs for an external DVD player).
I mainly bought it for the bluetooth, address input while driving, and removal of I agree screen. Viewing a DVD on the move was a bonus.
Hope this helps, let me know what else you need.
Old 05-23-07, 01:28 PM
Chris98vob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for checking. Looks like we have the same setup. Apparently the Lockpick will kill your native DVD access. No big deal.

I can use this then. Thanks!

Chris
Old 05-23-07, 08:47 PM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

I'll be installing the VAIS tech SLS interface this weekend. Let you know how it goes.
Old 05-25-07, 12:52 PM
chieplai
Driver School Candidate

I don't think the Lockpick necessarily kills the native DVD feature; only the Lockpick 3+ does. The standard Lockpick 3 ($99) offers the bluetooth dialing, "i agree" elimination, and address input while in motion features. It does not offer the external audio / video input attributes and for that your native DVD feature is safe.

I could be wrong...
Old 05-28-07, 11:47 AM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ace E.
I'll be installing the VAIS tech SLS interface this weekend. Let you know how it goes.
Installation was a breeze and I have SIRIUS with three SAT channels of 6 presets each (with full text enabled too). Unit works flawless with the Lockpick 3+!!!!!
Old 05-28-07, 11:50 AM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chieplai
I don't think the Lockpick necessarily kills the native DVD feature; only the Lockpick 3+ does. The standard Lockpick 3 ($99) offers the bluetooth dialing, "i agree" elimination, and address input while in motion features. It does not offer the external audio / video input attributes and for that your native DVD feature is safe.

I could be wrong...
Your right but the $99 Lockpick 3 unit is for GEN 5 Navs only. For GEN 6 Navs, you have to use the Lockpick 3+.
Old 05-30-07, 12:07 PM
skim07
Driver

this thread is way too long to read at once.

question 1: does this apply to 2007 GX470 with no Rear Entertainment system?
i have nav with mark levinson audio system as well as 6 disc DVD/CD changer.

can i watch DVDs in front nav screen with this mod, or does this only apply to cars with rear entertainment option?
Old 06-06-07, 10:36 PM
only9balls
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skim07
this thread is way too long to read at once.

question 1: does this apply to 2007 GX470 with no Rear Entertainment system?
i have nav with mark levinson audio system as well as 6 disc DVD/CD changer.

can i watch DVDs in front nav screen with this mod, or does this only apply to cars with rear entertainment option?

Answer to question 1: Yes.
We have a 2007 GX470 with no rear entertainment system, a Mark Levinson audio system and 6 disc changer, and the modification as described in the first post of this thread (by mogulbumm) worked beautifully. The DVD player now works while driving.
Kudos to mogulbumm for making this so easy!!! It only took me about 30 minutes!

Cheers
Old 11-15-07, 01:26 PM
LSUMatt151
Driver School Candidate

We just purchased a 2006 Toyota Sequoia Limited with the Toyota OEM navigation unit installed in it. Here's a few questions for you guys...

1. Will this same hack work for the Sequoia nav unit as it does for the Lexus? I want the ability to use the full extent of the GPS while driving and also want the DVD player to work while driving.
2. Is the DVD drive in the OEM unit capable of playing DVD movies? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it wouldn't, but that may have been on older models.

I want to avoid an aftermarket system if at all possible and I will be installing the VAIS Tech Ipod adapter as well as the Sirius satellite radio adapter at the same time. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Matt
Old 11-17-07, 11:07 AM
LSUMatt151
Driver School Candidate

Will someone PLEASE explain Coastaletech.com's application chart?!?!?!?!?!?!? Just what exactly will I get and won't I get with their harness for a 2006 Sequoia Limited. That thing is SOOOO confusing. Thanks.

Matt
Old 12-28-07, 03:58 PM
rajapavin
Driver School Candidate

Talking Does DVD Override work in 2008 GX470?

Hi Folks

I cant find clear instructions or a clear answer to this question on the thread so I am posting this as a new question.

1. Can someone please let me know if they have completed the override on a 2008 GX? My Concern is that the wire colors and connector locations have changed.

2. If the wiring changes are the same for the 2007, where are the instructions? I tried to find them on this long thread, but I wasnt sure what actually worked in a 2007. If someone can answer, which instructions did you actually follow and did the override work?

Thanks for your help and happy new year!
Old 01-01-08, 08:47 AM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD Override for 2007 GX470

All,
I have made the DVD override with the switch installed for my 2007 GX470. Before posting my instructions and pictures (updates to the original post) I have a question to make sure I did the modification correct. While test driving car, I confirmed that both Bluetooth phone and DVD player work properly. One flip of the switch activates the "Mod" and the opposite flip connects everything back to normal.

My question is, should I also be able to enter addresses while the car is in motion. If so, I am not able to access the destination menu. There were 2 light green wires in the same plug but I believe I cut the correct one since bluetooth and DVD are working. I am hesitant in cutting the other green wire before hearing from someone in the forum.

I rechecked all my connections and drove the car for greater than 10 miles down an intersate at ~65 mph, but was not able to get the destination button to activate. Has anyone had this experience or is my "Mod" acting normally. The reason I ask is there were earlier posts that talked about entering destination with the switch.

Thanks, Dsmiles1
Old 01-08-08, 07:32 PM
rajapavin
Driver School Candidate

Talking 2007 and 2008 DVD Override

Dsmiles

I had a 2004 GX with the DVD override (no bluetooth that year) and I could NOT enter addresses while moving with the original instructions for the override.

From my reading of the threads on this subject, I dont think there is a single override that allows
1. DVD while in motion,
2. Bluetooth and
3. Inputing into the Nav.

I know people have tried installing a coastaltech device with mixed results.

If there is a single Mod that will do all 3 of the above by flipping a switch- Wow! Would to learn more!

I just bought a 2008 and wanted to understand what the right wires and harnesses were for the DVD override. Please let us know if you have details about 2007. Which specific harness and wires worked for you in your 2007? Any instructions would be great! From what I have read, I think you have the mod done correctly.

thx

JP
Old 01-09-08, 08:26 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD Override for 2007 GX470

Here is my attempt at detail instructions of doing the DVD Override on a 2007 GX470. This will be done in several posts. Please note that all create is do to the original poster of this thread and others whom contributed to this thread. My input comes in on the difference between 2007 and 2003 GX470.

You should follow the 1st four posts in this thread by Mogulbumm on how to disassemble the DVD navigation system from the dashboard.

Below is a picture of the back of the Navigation/Radio system.
Attached Thumbnails DVD Override and Pictures!-lex_back_dash.jpg  

Quick Reply: DVD Override and Pictures!